Missing WB features are not up to the standards of Bannerlord!

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't totally disagree tbh. Some of the features people keep calling for were incredibly shallow and simple.

Like, I saw a post asking for poems. Poems!? There were nothing to them. There were like 5 in the whole game, you buy them, you give them to a princess, you see +10 rep. You move on. Did anyone even ever read them? Probably not. They were such a nothing mechanic.
I have seen like 1 person asking for poems to come back. That's kind of disingenuous to even bring up and say that's something people keep calling for. When people say "warband features" they mean deserters, manhunters, assassins, paying to boost a skill, lord duels, feasts, civil war claimants, bandit traps, belligerent drunks, training villagers, etc.
Same thing as feasts. The current encyclopedia does what the feast system did and more.
Not at all. What feasts did was:

* Gather lords and ladies into one place, making it a lot easier to find people, so you could easily get a whole bunch of quests and marriage proposal attempts at once, rather than having to chase people all over the damn world.
* Add to the immersion of the world by showing nobles do something with their lives other than fight 24/7.
* Give something to do during peacetime.
* Gain relation (which also served as influence in Warband) with a whole bunch of nobles at once. This provided a good way of gaining relation/influence for builds that weren't combat-focused. In Bannerlord, the main ways to gain Influence are all combat oriented, making it hard to roleplay a non-combat build, despite the skills we have that are designed to let you play more of a noncombatant.
* RP-friendly.
* Added a nice base for a whole bunch of other features to be added in mods, such as political intrigue.

The encyclopaedia doesn't do any of those things.

Also, while they were cool the first 2 or 3 times, all they did for the 423 times after that was ruin the momentum of a campaign or a war.
Easily fixed by just having feasts during peacetime, and be cancelled if a war starts.

I have seen like 1 person asking for poems to come back. That's kind of disingenuous to even bring up and say that's something people keep calling for. When people say "warband features" they mean deserters, manhunters, assassins, paying to boost a skill, lord duels, feasts, civil war claimants, bandit traps, belligerent drunks, training villagers, etc.

* Gather lords and ladies into one place, making it a lot easier to find people, so you could easily get a whole bunch of quests and marriage proposal attempts at once, rather than having to chase people all over the damn world.
* Add to the immersion of the world by showing nobles do something with their lives other than fight 24/7.
* Gain relation (which also served as influence in Warband) with a whole bunch of nobles at once. This provided a good way of gaining relation/influence for builds that weren't combat-focused. In Bannerlord, the main ways to gain Influence are all combat oriented, making it hard to roleplay a non-combat build, despite the skills we have that are designed to let you play more of a noncombatant.
* RP-friendly.
* Added a nice base for a whole bunch of other features to be added in mods, such as political intrigue.

Easily fixed by just having feasts during peacetime, and be cancelled if a war starts.
I honestly never though someone would be as dull as to second-guess feasts as a feature. But here we are, I'm genuinelly impressed :lol: :lol:

All of that but add one detail: Feasts also forced Tournaments to happen, interesting ones where all of the lords of the Realm participated.

If done right, it could be an event where intrigues are flushed out, marriages and bethroals happen (useful for your clan) instead of having random icon pop-ups on your screen. If combined with companion messengers for player and NPC lords, than it'd be perfect because all those ridiculous arcade pop-ups with declarations, invites, etc would disappear and we'd instead get an immersive way of communication between lords, also opening up opportunity to add quests revolving around intercepting messengers for even more in-depth intrigue.

The lack of it is really bad, and those pop-ups, with odd cutscenes or not, are very arcadey and annoying to say the least.

Last edited:

* RP-friendly.

I think that a lot of people ignore the benefits of feasts on the game. Not only does it add depth to the game by making the lords look "alive", it is also very useful for the game's balance. I deeply regret that feasts are not present in the game, it was one of my favourite features of Warband.

Again, if it is not up to the standards of Bannerlord, we need feasts 2.0, something astonishing.

I think that a lot of people ignore the benefits of feasts on the game. Not only does it add depth to the game by making the lords look "alive", it is also very useful for the game's balance. I deeply regret that feasts are not present in the game, it was one of my favourite features of Warband.

Again, if it is not up to the standards of Bannerlord, we need feasts 2.0, something astonishing.
and it was responsible for the best Warband MEME ever!

zas85i8vmy7z.jpg

Here we are... It is an English translation of a post from a Turkish guy who had some kind of chat with a "whoever" TW person during Gamescon...
"The whole line" is far from being factual...
(I'm sorry for my bad english)

Since I am the subject of this question and you are right in what you say, it is my obligation to explain to you the accuracy of this conversation with the developer of the game.

First of all, if I have to confirm that I went to the gamescom event, I guess I can best prove it this way.

secondly, the person I talked to at the gamescom event was Mr.Emre, thank you very much for taking special care of us and answering our questions, naturally we are not a well-known influencer or a (social) media editor in any country, so I expressed incorrectly in my writings. Or if there are missing things, mr.Emre can correct me.

Finally, the game policy of the producer company shows that what I have said is quite appropriate.

Moreover (one of the things I didn't mention in the talk) the developer gave us the example why the books are not added in Bannerlord, he can confirm that too.

(Again, I apologize for my spelling and implication mistakes.)

If books can't work in Bannerlord then we need a feature that does the same role as books, like skill trainers.

Books were good because they let you pay gold to increase a skill. So that you don't have to grind that skill for hours in order to level it up.

I honestly never though someone would be as dull as to second-guess feasts as a feature. But here we are, I'm genuinelly impressed :lol: :lol:

All of that but add one detail: Feasts also forced Tournaments to happen, interesting ones where all of the lords of the Realm participated.
Agreed!

Also, your post earlier about "standards" got a good chuckle out of me. "sborghs" :ROFLMAO:

Since I am the subject of this question and you are right in what you say, it is my obligation to explain to you the accuracy of this conversation with the developer of the game.

First of all, if I have to confirm that I went to the gamescom event, I guess I can best prove it this way.

secondly, the person I talked to at the gamescom event was Mr.Emre, thank you very much for taking special care of us and answering our questions, naturally we are not a well-known influencer or a (social) media editor in any country, so I expressed incorrectly in my writings. Or if there are missing things, mr.Emre can correct me.

Finally, the game policy of the producer company shows that what I have said is quite appropriate.

Moreover (one of the things I didn't mention in the talk) the developer gave us the example why the books are not added in Bannerlord, he can confirm that too.

Thanks for your clarification. If feasts were resurrected, I'd want to disable them.

Same thing as feasts. The current encyclopedia does what the feast system did and more.
Encyclopedia does this and more!
The encyclopedia is a menu where you press a button, a meta information resource for the player that makes him an know it all omnipotent being, and I think this kind of system really, really sucks. I don't know about you guys, but if I wanted to play a game just to read text and clicking, I would go to Wikipedia, when I want to play an RPG, I want to play an RPG and get immersed into the world. Being an omnipotent being that knows everything by just going through menus makes this game absolutely boring, and it's an easy way out of actually thinking on game design.

Feasts were a multiple of things: A place to know lords, their attitudes (depending on the quests they give you, again, another rudimentary system that needed improvement but got changed for a menu encyclopedia information), an in game event that showed some sort of life, and a place to earn relations with lords and ladies (useless in Bannerlord because influence is s currency you win by killing poor people in rags AKA looters).

Last edited:
The encyclopedia is a menu where you press a button, a meta information resource for the player that makes him an know it all omnipotent being, and I think this kind of system really, really sucks. I don't know about you guys, but if I wanted to play a game just to read text and clicking, I would go to Wikipedia, when I want to play an RPG, I want to play an RPG and get immersed into the world. Being an omnipotent being that knows everything by just going through menus makes this game absolutely boring, and it's an easy way out of actually thinking on game design.

Feasts were a multiple of things: A place to know lords, their attitudes (depending on the quests they give you, again, another rudimentary system that needed improvement but got changed for a menu encyclopedia information), an in game event that showed some sort of life, and a place to earn relations with lords and ladies (useless in Bannerlord because influence is s currency you win by killing poor people in rags AKA looters).
This is what Ive been talking about for a long time. Take influence as an example. In Warband your influence was implicated by your renown, relationships you built etc. So you could influence castle votes, marshallship votes etc by talking to those people. You ask them who they support, and you could either say you too support their candidate or convince them to support you. In BL influence is and explicit currency that removes all the immersion. Policy vote? Menu. Castle vote? Menu. Relationships? Menu.

For example, you are a king and want to boost a vassals influence. Why put it as a ****ing menu button? "Give influence to clan" is so lame. You could go and TALK TO THEM and get a dialogue option "I acknowledge you and your clan as a great house, I wish to make that known" and that could have the same effect. Get a relations boost and give them 50/100/150 influence.

Why leave companions in a town through a "plus" sign nobody sees? Why not TALK to your companion and make them stay in a town.

This game has so much immersion potential in the little things. We dont need feasts. We need reasons and means to talk to other people in the game. Ask them what their party is doing or how goes the war. Those are simple lines of text. For gods sake

Hi and thanks for taking time to clarify a few things.
You were not obliged to do so, as you are not the one who created this post...
And I'm not the one who will comment about your English...
So the dev with whom you had this conversation is @MRay ? Indeed he is one of the few devs who communicate with the players. I have seen him in some streams of Italianspartacus.
To be honest with you, I doubt a dev would say something like "missing WB features do not fit BL standards"... It sounds too arrogant and kinda awkward.
Probably what he really meant was something like "missing WB features can not fit BL without a complete redesign". That sounds far more realistic, partially explaining the reason why TW keeps skipping them (slow development, core mechanics still NOK, etc...).
Even @azakhi had a look at your original post and confirmed that the english translation may need some nuances.

Even @azakhi had a look at your original post and confirmed that the english translation may need some nuances.
What nuances is that? I translated that as directly as possible. Let me translate it more directly then:
"The missing features are not appropriate for the general quality of BL"
Like azakhi said, a follow up question would be good indeed, like "what do you mean by that"

It sounds too arrogant and kinda awkward.
We have already seen arrogant comments by CM aka Callum: "the people who play and enjoy the game".
I remember too well, just one month after this, he commented under a thread praising the game.
"It is very good to see people enjoying the game, we are making improvements, don't you worry etc. etc. etc."
Like saying, hey TW whiny forum users, I am only communicating with this kind of feedback from now on.

I appreciate Mray's works but I also remember he made fun of forum at Italianspartacus Youtube stream.
So this arrogance is something I expect from some of TW.

Last edited:
Feasts would break the AI in whatever ever way, TW said...
Seriously, they really did say that? Did they explain why would it break the AI exactly? How could such a simple, technically elementary thing as gathering some lords in one place and keep them there for a few in-game days, break the AI??

Didn't the last beta release or so change this so that lord and settlement information only appeared if you were near it, owned it, or a companion was in it?

Also, there is a balance. An in game encyclopedia may not be as "immersive" but it is 100 times easier and smoother than having to call a feast, wait for everyone to appear, walk around trying to find the right lord, talk to them, etc. God forbid the lord doesn't show up! Then you have the fun of chasing him down on the map!

For what it's worth, I am not against a sort of improvement on the feast system. It's just that, it's more nuanced than "Warband had feasts and Bannerlord doesn't, so clearly bannerlord is the worst game ever and does nothing right".

This is what Ive been talking about for a long time. Take influence as an example. In Warband your influence was implicated by your renown, relationships you built etc. So you could influence castle votes, marshallship votes etc by talking to those people. You ask them who they support, and you could either say you too support their candidate or convince them to support you. In BL influence is and explicit currency that removes all the immersion. Policy vote? Menu. Castle vote? Menu. Relationships? Menu.

For example, you are a king and want to boost a vassals influence. Why put it as a ****ing menu button? "Give influence to clan" is so lame. You could go and TALK TO THEM and get a dialogue option "I acknowledge you and your clan as a great house, I wish to make that known" and that could have the same effect. Get a relations boost and give them 50/100/150 influence.

Why leave companions in a town through a "plus" sign nobody sees? Why not TALK to your companion and make them stay in a town.

This game has so much immersion potential in the little things. We dont need feasts. We need reasons and means to talk to other people in the game. Ask them what their party is doing or how goes the war. Those are simple lines of text. For gods sake

I kinda covered this in my last post, but just to point out, making the player talk to each NPC (which includes finding them, moving to their location, hoping they arent also on the move, etc) is a major pain and something that can and should be modernized a bit.

People really look at Warband with rose colored glasses. It was fun the first time, but the reality is you would have to go through the same dialogue options hundreds of times just to see that like green +10 pop up in the lower right corner.

It was a drag and these changes in Bannerlord definitely modernize things to a satisfying extent.

Who is this General Quality? I must destroy him!
I want Ymira, I want book, I want profitable and worthwhile raid, I want reasonable recovery of AI ( yes warband on max difficulty is more time in between massive siege forces then Bannerlord, even though Warband openly cheats for everything and bannerlord is supposed to have a simulation), I want poems, I want feasts, I want wedding quest, I want stable passive incomes, I want tavern drunk, I want bandit ambush, I WANT CAVALRY TO HIT AND KILL THINGS, I want to be in charge of who gets what fief when I'm the ruler!
100 and 10 percent agree.

Didn't the last beta release or so change this so that lord and settlement information only appeared if you were near it, owned it, or a companion was in it?

Also, there is a balance. An in game encyclopedia may not be as "immersive" but it is 100 times easier and smoother than having to call a feast, wait for everyone to appear, walk around trying to find the right lord, talk to them, etc. God forbid the lord doesn't show up! Then you have the fun of chasing him down on the map!

For what it's worth, I am not against a sort of improvement on the feast system. It's just that, it's more nuanced than "Warband had feasts and Bannerlord doesn't, so clearly bannerlord is the worst game ever and does nothing right".
you know that now we got a menu that shows everyone who's in town with their names clans and roles, fief ownership and all the shenanigans, all you have to do is click on the town and click on "keep" and "there, you, go!".
At this point you're just excusing the inexcusable.
Again, WB wasn't top quality, but it had depth of which Bannerlord has none. In sum we have slightly better UI and accessibility in BL with zero depth, and in WB we had decent depth (that could be better) but no UI nor accessibility.
5318516.jpg

Back
Top Bottom