Missing features of Warband are not up to Bannerlord Standards

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed whole marshal aspect of Warband. It would happen rarely so when it did, it would feel important. You would get a messenger asking you to meet your marshal and if you didn't, there would be repercussions. You didn't just join someone else's party and sit there waiting for them to engage with something, you needed to actively follow them around without going too far away. Which meant you could do stuff while following the marshal like checking around to see where enemies at. They also gave quests, I remember moments when I was trying to find food only to come back to a big battle going on and just rushing to help my people. All these stuff felt a lot more immersive than current you join my army and wait till I do something, I pay influence per hour, good deal for both of us :grin:
100% agree. And seeing the massive swarm of enemies bearing down on your new town felt like a real invasion. And you'd get the smaller lords who'd peel off from the crowd to raid villages along the way. Those marshal swarms could leave a wide path of destruction in their wake. It was a real challenge dealing with them but you had a lot more strategic options for dealing with a mob of separate parties than you do now when dealing with one big mega-party.

When you became the Marshal, it was always a question who would show up when you called a campaign. Some lords always showed up right away and you'd grow fond of those guys, while some other lords never bothered to show and you'd remember how they let you down. These kinds of things helped make the lords feel more real and there's nothing like that in Bannerlord. Now the lords don't even have a choice on joining your army or not. All you need is influence and they can't refuse.

Plus having one marshal directing the war strategy gave the impression that there actually was a war strategy. You could ask any lord how the war was going and what the kingdom's doing and they would tell you the overall reasoning for the war and what the next objective was and even if they agreed with it or not. It made it feel like there was real intention and it made the lords feel like they actually had their own agendas. Now its just any old lord making an army whenever and wherever they feel like it. In my current game, I added a new clan and I noticed that the clan's youngest lordling created an army and took it upon himself to go siege a castle. The guy's barely 20 years old and still has the teenboy body. What the hell is he doing leading an army?

I really enjoyed whole marshal aspect of Warband. It would happen rarely so when it did, it would feel important. You would get a messenger asking you to meet your marshal and if you didn't, there would be repercussions. You didn't just join someone else's party and sit there waiting for them to engage with something, you needed to actively follow them around without going too far away. Which meant you could do stuff while following the marshal like checking around to see where enemies at. They also gave quests, I remember moments when I was trying to find food only to come back to a big battle going on and just rushing to help my people. All these stuff felt a lot more immersive than current you join my army and wait till I do something, I pay influence per hour, good deal for both of us :grin:
Yes! The army system is completely hollow, you just sit there while your commander takes the worst probable decisions and run out of food. If TW would thought on the system it would be a little bit more complex. For example, make only high tier clans able to make armies, allow players to send an army/companion to gather food or recruits, send scouts to see if there's any incoming army, I would write a suggestion but I know best not to waste my time on devs that don't listen to it's playerbase

100% agree, all things happening had more weight and meaning.

100% agree. And seeing the massive swarm of enemies bearing down on your new town felt like a real invasion. And you'd get the smaller lords who'd peel off from the crowd to raid villages along the way. Those marshal swarms could leave a wide path of destruction in their wake. It was a real challenge dealing with them but you had a lot more strategic options for dealing with a mob of separate parties than you do now when dealing with one big mega-party.

When you became the Marshal, it was always a question who would show up when you called a campaign. Some lords always showed up right away and you'd grow fond of those guys, while some other lords never bothered to show and you'd remember how they let you down. These kinds of things helped make the lords feel more real and there's nothing like that in Bannerlord. Now the lords don't even have a choice on joining your army or not. All you need is influence and they can't refuse.

Plus having one marshal directing the war strategy gave the impression that there actually was a war strategy. You could ask any lord how the war was going and what the kingdom's doing and they would tell you the overall reasoning for the war and what the next objective was and even if they agreed with it or not. It made it feel like there was real intention and it made the lords feel like they actually had their own agendas. Now its just any old lord making an army whenever and wherever they feel like it. In my current game, I added a new clan and I noticed that the clan's youngest lordling created an army and took it upon himself to go siege a castle. The guy's barely 20 years old and still has the teenboy body. What the hell is he doing leading an army?
Exactly man!!!

This is one of the reasons i suggested the below which would fit into the current system we have. It certainly doesn't bring back marshalls but would give us a feeling of being called upon instead of just showing up at whatever army we feel like. Right now the player feels like an exception to the typical vassal with no requirements to fight or help and no risk to not answering the call to go to war.
Playing as a mercenary in my current playthrough and was thinking it would be pretty cool and immersive to get an offer to join an army when it is formed. It would definitely feel more natural when you are a vassal, actually being called upon to join a warband. Then just like the AI when the player becomes a king they can't get invited to armies anymore as they are expected to be leading. Feels like a natural fit for immersive offers.

Could go two routes with it depending on how much of an impact on the game you want it to have. One route is to have it have little impact, dont have the AI calculate the player offer as a guaranteed party like a typical summon, incase the player wants to decline, and have relationship not be impacted. The other route is to have these offers make a big impact, have the AI army calc its strength with the player so if they dont join they are weaker and make it a relationship + or - if the player accepts the offer or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom