What happened to map position based battle terrain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Been away a while from the game, I noticed some time ago they were developing battle scenes to be matching with the map terrain, can't find anything about it anymore, what happened? was the feature scrapped?

I would guess they're implementing all the field battle scenes first, and since there's something like 150 different scenes total for the world map that could take some time still, especially if they want to make the new scenes each well polished and bug-free. There's a lot of things questionable about this game's development process but that particular delay makes sense.
The questionable thing here is the decision to go with a new time-consuming feature (that no one asked for) in the middle of EA, while there are so many other problems (including with scenes: siege and keep battle scenes). It's a kind of feature you put low on the feature list under "optional/nice to have" and scrap it before release because you ran out of time.
I'm really curious whether they will finish this at all and when. It's been five months since they announced it and they have nothing to show so far.

The questionable thing here is the decision to go with a new time-consuming feature (that no one asked for) in the middle of EA, while there are so many other problems (including with scenes: siege and keep battle scenes). It's a kind of feature you put low on the feature list under "optional/nice to have" and scrap it before release because you ran out of time.
I'm really curious whether they will finish this at all and when. It's been five months since they announced it and they have nothing to show so far.
Very true, we are still waiting for bots to be smarter, siege still needs fixing. I think they should look into things that need better attention first, after a year, we're still experiencing these problems.

Very much looking forward to this feature. I suggested something similar in the year(s) before EA.

Map-based battle terrain and position offers real strategic advantages. Unique cells also open possibility for mods with dramatic set-pieces and map based wilderness locations.

I’d love to be able to camp in any spot on map and explore noteworthy ruins / caves or train w troops in scenes that match the terrain in world.

AI and siege progress will happen / not happen independent of this feature so it is only a benefit imo.

I would assume that 95% of the work is done by people building new maps. And they are usualy not that involved with AI so why should this be a problem. Sure there will be many smaller bugs with the siege scenes itself but they are not tht tragic if 1 or 2 archers have buggy positions. And this feature could be a gigantic thing if they were abeled to implement it in a way that is good for modders perhaps even with decent converter from worldmap to battle terrain so modders can just create the worldmap and then they can automaticly create templates for the battle terrains that only need a bit of fixing and polishing instead of building it all by hand.

I would love to see true bridge battles where the army is forced to use the bridge. Current the entire army just crosses the river and ignores the bridge ?

People like to be Gullivers.
decent converter from worldmap to battle terrain so modders can just create the worldmap and then they can automaticly create templates for the battle terrains that only need a bit of fixing and polishing instead of building it all by hand.
You realize that this is not going to happen. Your speculations are standard wishful thinking with no base in reality. The best they would do for modders is this and it's still unlikely given their usual failures to follow up and that modding is one of their lowest priorities.

You realize that this is not going to happen. Your speculations are standard wishful thinking with no base in reality. The best they would do for modders is this and it's still unlikely given their usual failures to follow up and that modding is one of their lowest priorities.
I never thought anything else but let me dream :grin: But to be honest, if they give modders the terrain-data to create their own procedural generator(like Dejan said) i don't see why you coul not altest build something from the modder side that could do a basic job at this.

Been away a while from the game, I noticed some time ago they were developing battle scenes to be matching with the map terrain, can't find anything about it anymore, what happened? was the feature scrapped?
I don't know, but the other day (1.5.9) I chased a party down the beach underneath Onica Castle near Poros, and we had the battle on a beach with a cliff on one side, and I was VERY impressed. Hopefully more like that are coming.
I would love to see true bridge battles where the army is forced to use the bridge. Current the entire army just crosses the river and ignores the bridge ?
LOL no lies told

It is very puzzling. My guess is if we get lucky we'll see a buggy version of it in about 6 months. But that's if we get lucky and they're really working on it unlike sieges.
I don't know, but the other day (1.5.9) I chased a party down the beach underneath Onica Castle near Poros, and we had the battle on a beach with a cliff on one side, and I was VERY impressed. Hopefully more like that are coming.
They've had a few variations of a beach, forest, grassland, tundra maps that were used depending on what map tile you're on, but they were very very limited in number and didn't actually represent where you were except in the most general way. But having a map that is customized for that actual area is something different and requires over 150 different maps. As slow as scenery has been developed in this game I'm highly skeptical they'll pull this off correctly and in any in any timely fashion. It's been 5 months and they haven't show or talked about any updates at all.

The questionable thing here is the decision to go with a new time-consuming feature (that no one asked for) in the middle of EA, while there are so many other problems (including with scenes: siege and keep battle scenes).
Bloc and a few others asked for it here, and a few streamers mentioned it would be cool.

Bloc and a few others asked for it here, and a few streamers mentioned it would be cool.
I know about Bloc, but youtubers and modders have all kinds of other suggestions too. It's still random to take this one instead of something that tops forum suggestion lists.

Doesn't it also bothers anyone else that scene map is including a large portion of the map? What i mean is

if you look at this video you see, they are between two rivers and at the battle scene you see both of those rivers as if world is much much smaller then it is. It is like you could actually reach Epicrotea only with a 30 seconds of horse ride from there.
Just gotta suspend disbelief in this particular case.

If they were to make it to-scale for a Europe-sized map, they would need about ten thousand scenes instead of 150, and we would all be waiting for the terrain system until the heat death of the universe.

Back
Top Bottom