1.5.5 Balance and Further Changes

Users who are viewing this thread

But to be fair 98% of skirmish games played are non competitive. Seems reasonable to balance around that. Problem is: it isnt balanced class wise.
Why tho? I think every competitive game is balanced for high-skilled players because others know less and they will always adapt or don't even find the difference. I don't really think that siege bois or players without certain experience will care about balancing. Now I see that almost every game without clan members is 6 cav or 6 archers cancer and BEAST matches are fine cus we have class limits. Do I really wanna put my efforts in game to receive this kind of experience in competitive if we lift the limitations? Nah

I ask the question here, apologizing if it doesn't really fit into the topic of conversation, but you don't want to make several patches? One for the captain mode and the other for the skirmish like in the Starcraft game(E sport game) where you have a patch for the singleplayer and the other for the multiplayers

EDIT: By this I mean two different modules with different options depending on the game mode for example, perks that are modified according to the mode of play between the captain and Skirmish mode

As far as I respect you and your work for multiplayer, this is just pure bull*hit. I have no idea what kind of esport you have in mind for this game, but how esport works in other games is that people specialize in something. League of Legends? Players specialize in playing different positions, even tho some switches happen(for example toplane players can perfrom well on mid and vice versa), they still won't perform as good on the sub-lane.
Here you can say that they can play variety of champions, but we got variety of different weapons. Switching from inf to cav is not like switching champion, it's like switching position you play on. Dota? Same case. If multiplayer was going the direction of everyone being a mutli-class hero, then I think you can clearly tell that something is wrong.
I have to agree on this. AVRC has been talking gibberish the last days. As much as I try to understand his point of view, I just cannot. We are here to give feedback and there he comes with the argument that we all need to be willing to play any class any time. This is not what the discussion is about and with this mentality its useless to give feedback in the first place..

But to be fair 98% of skirmish games played are non competitive. Seems reasonable to balance around that. Problem is: it isnt balanced class wise.
I disagree, i mean it should be balanced by looking at people who know what they are doing and tryhard. This goes for every game and sport which calls itself competitive.

Whoops.
Wrong language.
I will collect the data for Skirmish in Beast# 3 and compare it with the data given here.
I certainly feel that some factions will have a worse winrate depending on the division.

It would be a huge surprise if you didn't. Particular perks that are considered "meta" in BEAST will be under-represented in these global statistics.

Also, player disparity is a massive factor, meaning global stats will be pushed hard to 50% because having the superior team determines who wins almost every single match.

In Captain tournaments (pre 1.5), I tracked Empire at 61.90% round winrate (210 rounds played), Khuzait at 43.94% (132), and Battania at 20.18% (114). In public play and even in scrims, the faction differences were noticeable, but never felt THAT significant except for Battania, which was categorically bad.

However, if the games are non-competitive, does balance really matter in them?

Small stat changes will be unnoticeable to new players but they might make a significant difference in a tournament.

However, if the games are non-competitive, does balance really matter in them?
If random skirmish is no fun, our competitive skirmish is wasted. No one will ever find interest in what we are doing. If someone likes random skirmish and plays alot of it, he will much more likely be interested in competitive play.

If random skirmish is no fun, our competitive skirmish is wasted. No one will ever find interest in what we are doing. If someone likes random skirmish and plays alot of it, he will much more likely be interested in competitive play.
This gamemode will never attract lots of players, all we can hope for is a trickle down from battle.

I never said to make random Skirmish unfun, only that it should be balanced around the players using the engine the best. You can have both.

I wouldn't want to play a game that intentionally got worse and less balanced as I got better at it.

Nice job!

will you guys nicely fix the async block bug in the next patch?
I think it's hard to estimate the balance of melee with that bug. The direction is essential.

@AVRC, btw, do you have any plans on changing chambers? Because right now they are almost non-existent and I didn't see any comments on this mechanic. Could you tell us your plans, please?

@AVRC, btw, do you have any plans on changing chambers? Because right now they are almost non-existent and I didn't see any comments on this mechanic. Could you tell us your plans, please?
This was discussed before and I think @NIN3 would have a better explanation for it.

We will need to look at chambers at a later point. It would require a rework of all transition animations, or a whole new system. What's happening now is that we check if weapons are colliding, but (for swings) the profile/collision area of your weapons when transitioning is extremely flat, so its really hard to collide your weapon with an incoming one.

We will definitely look at it, but honestly will rather focus on other combat changes that are more urgent and require less resources to do.

As far as I respect you and your work for multiplayer, this is just pure bull*hit. I have no idea what kind of esport you have in mind for this game, but how esport works in other games is that people specialize in something. League of Legends? Players specialize in playing different positions, even tho some switches happen(for example toplane players can perfrom well on mid and vice versa), they still won't perform as good on the sub-lane.
Here you can say that they can play variety of champions, but we got variety of different weapons. Switching from inf to cav is not like switching champion, it's like switching position you play on. Dota? Same case. If multiplayer was going the direction of everyone being a mutli-class hero, then I think you can clearly tell that something is wrong.
Just this. Don't make of this game a total war saga. Mount&Blade was always about manual,skill,experience.

Excellent communication. Thank you for the update. The threads in my Signature are about all I have to say about balance atm, but I will say that the Wildling and Sturgian Raider are exactly what Im looking for from medium infantry, and it would be nice to see other factions get equivalents.

The Khuzait Spearman is still too expensive and slow to fit the definition, and the Aserai units are slightly too light. The Vlandian unit that received the sword/shield needs a 1handed spear option to go with the swobo. Empire still lacks anything close to medium infantry.

feel little disappointed while there was no mention of cav nerf. currently in skirmish the outcome of the combat is heavily depend on initial cav fight, cav with disruption and high dmg due to spear speed buff make even a single cav player involving in a infantry fight it could influence the outcome very heavily, especially the heavy cav can completely knock you off which happen way too much post 1.55, and spear buff make it even possible for 2 strike in a single run by, cataphract with spear and shield is the worst right now.

but I will say that the Wildling and Sturgian Raider are exactly what Im looking for from medium infantry, and it would be nice to see other factions get equivalents.

The Khuzait Spearman is still too expensive and slow to fit the definition, and the Aserai units are slightly too light. The Vlandian unit that received the sword/shield needs a 1handed spear option to go with the swobo. Empire still lacks anything close to medium infantry.
+1

The limits were decided way before, the game has changed much since then. I believe it is about time we can give it a try. You are free to not want to risk your tournament obviously, in that case we will probably figure something ourselves for an event.

We accept that the balance is not perfect but we believe that we are making progress towards the point it will not be necessary. I am just saying it would be easier to identify the issues much faster in a competitive event with no limits.

I encourage all teams to abuse whatever strategy they believe is unbeatable, and I am sure many of the times our competent players will find a solution to beat those strategies over time. Surely there will be some overpowered strategies and we will adjust those.

A player should be ready to play any class if the situation requires for it, and any composition should be both viable and stoppable.
We are in process of bringing back Weekend Cups to Bannerlord. Rules are being worked on at the moment with first, exhibition, edition being planned for next weekend.
I can tell you already that we wont be having class limits.
This is taken from our rules:
"Throughout the duration of Bannerlord's Early Access stage Weekend Cup™️ will remain a tool for the developers, players and general competitive BL community to experiment and test game's classes, factions balancing, match formats, equipment and perks in the competitive environment."

So maybe this can help with testing classes bit more, without risking BEAST's class limits rule set (if the voting goes that way) that has been working nicely for that competition so far.

Excellent communication. Thank you for the update. The threads in my Signature are about all I have to say about balance atm, but I will say that the Wildling and Sturgian Raider are exactly what Im looking for from medium infantry, and it would be nice to see other factions get equivalents.

+1

Back
Top Bottom