Scrap the "main story"

What to do with the main story?

• Keep working on it

Votes: 66 31.7%
  • Polish it, and leave it as it is (+ Add an option to ignore it entirely)

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • Remove it completely for a while, continue work once (if) the rest of the game's completed

Votes: 32 15.4%
  • Only keep the basic combat tutorial, no forced family or narrative, scrap everything else (+)

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Replace it with a Warband-like side-mission-sort of tutorial (meaning also +)

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I have a question. Replace it with a Warband-like side-mission-sort of tutorial?

You do know that many of us have never played Warband? So have no clue what the OP is talking about when they say this as an option.

I have a question. Replace it with a Warband-like side-mission-sort of tutorial?

You do know that many of us have never played Warband? So have no clue what the OP is talking about when they say this as an option.
Freakin normies

In a nutshell: As a foreigner in Calradia you had the option to help a local merchant fight some bandits, which gave you the opportunity to learn recruitment, minor field battles, town / hideout engagements, taking prisoners etc.

Although it made sense narratively that you as a foreigner would be working for a local merchant at least initially, you could simply decide not to help him, and so he would stay in the tavern forever, waiting for you.

Of course this made sense. Problem with BL's storyline is that by making the main "quest" so personal and fundamental to our character, it doesn't make sense that we simply decide not to help our enslaved siblings, not to avenge our parents by chasing down a bandit, not to follow our destiny as either the saviour or Destroyer of the Calradian Empire, not to save the world from dragons or whatever the **** that mantic destiny is the game forces onto us.

Freakin normies

In a nutshell: As a foreigner you had the option to help a local merchant fight some bandits, which gave you the opportunity to learn recruitment, minor field battles, town / hideout engagements, taking prisoners etc.

Although it made sense narratively that you as a foreigner would be working for a local merchant at least initially, you could simply decide not to help him, and so he would stay in the tavern forever, waiting for you.

Of course this made sense. Problem with BL's storyline is that by making the main "quest" so personal and fundamental to our character, it doesn't make sense that we simply decide not to help our enslaved siblings, not to avenge our parents by chasing down a bandit, not to follow our destiny as either the saviour or Destroyer of the Calradian Empire.
None of that is an issue in my eyes. The problem I have with the quest line at the moment is, how lazy a life you must of led up to the start of the game, to have such poor stats. 12 Years of training and you managed to achieve virtually nothing and your brother after just 7 years has far surpassed you and should honestly be the leader of the clan.

So to be honest I would not be surprised if you did leave your brother and sister to remain captive as to do otherwise would be the first effort you have made in your entire life. So to me the story does make sense in that respect as help them or leave them both options are not a surprise!

A linear, utterly nonsensical and boring main story doesn't bother you? IN A SANDBOX RPG?

Developers wasting time on said main story doesn't bother you? WHILE IT'S EARLY ACCESS AND I ALONE COULD COUNT A HUNDREDS OF IMPROVEMENTS AND CHANGES PEOPLE WOULD'VE PREFERRED INSTEAD?
This is not a sandbox game, it is a open world game. TW can claim what they want, but the fact is, is that they are wrong.

Now that it's there, I don't see a reason to remove it. It needs expanding, but it shouldn't be a primary focus until everything else is working and it should be optional. Which seems like the direction they're going anyways.

Agree with Nikita.
There is little to no reason to scrap the whole concept, although the story is very bland.
I would rather keep it there and expand on it once they have better idea what they want to do with it.
Right now it feels more like placeholder rather then something meaningful you would want to do every time you start new game.
100% agree it should not be priority (I don't think it is right now). If anything else, perhaps mods could overhaul whole concept.

I would scrap it. It makes no sense. It's bad and it's unnecessary (for my tastes), but as poll suggests, people like it, so I understand if devs don't want to remove it.

But then, please just give us an option. Make it a choice.Give us alternative start option where we can start the game without Main Story. (There's already the simple mod that fixes it) just take it and incorporate it in your game.

I didn't like that in Warband you were always forced to be a foreigner. Your caracter cannot be just a Swadian peasant rising from serfdom to lord.

You only get that as a series of side quests. Not at the start.
:rolleyes:

It, uh, comes up at the start. But you don't have to do anything with the first clue about where the villain is. Completely able to be ignored, just like BL.

It doesn't take away the from the sandbox, unless having "Active Quest: Nerestzes' Folly" bothers someone way more than it should. When it times out, nothing happens. The only thing locked behind it at this point is faction destruction mechanics. I've only been able to get a faction to die off totally through the one time I played the quest.

Other than that, ignore it.

Im pretty sure they said that in the future there will be a full sand box start option, so i dont mind having a story version aswell, some of the things they implement for it can mean interesting mechanics being developed for the game.

Im pretty sure they said that in the future there will be a full sand box start option, so i dont mind having a story version aswell, some of the things they implement for it can mean interesting mechanics being developed for the game.

No.

They said ignore the quest.

Here:

You can skip the tutorial portion and ignore the main storyline thereafter.

We may consider that in the future, but it is not a priority at the moment.

This after I asked him to give you a pure sandbox option. There's no plan to do that. It's something they will consider.

It, uh, comes up at the start. But you don't have to do anything with the first clue about where the villain is. Completely able to be ignored, just like BL.

Oh man. In BL you get TWO quests you have to ignore in your quest log practically forever. In Pirates! it's a clue you are told at the start you can follow for a series of side quests.

No.

They said ignore the quest.

Here:

This after I asked him to give you a pure sandbox option. There's no plan to do that. It's something they will consider.

Oh man. In BL you get TWO quests you have to ignore in your quest log practically forever. In Pirates! it's a clue you are told at the start you can follow for a series of side quests.
i read another place long back that it was something they considered the wanted for the release of the game, nothing said there goes against that, just that its not in the plans for the ea.

i read another place long back that it was something they considered the wanted for the release of the game, nothing said there goes against that, just that its not in the plans for the ea.

You can follow those quotes. I straight up asked and they said its not a priority but they may do it at some point. (BTW, same with looking at armor values because armor does practically nothing in the game).

Back
Top Bottom