Scrap the "main story"

What to do with the main story?

• Keep working on it

Votes: 66 31.7%
  • Polish it, and leave it as it is (+ Add an option to ignore it entirely)

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • Remove it completely for a while, continue work once (if) the rest of the game's completed

Votes: 32 15.4%
  • Only keep the basic combat tutorial, no forced family or narrative, scrap everything else (+)

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Replace it with a Warband-like side-mission-sort of tutorial (meaning also +)

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

At first I didn't mind having a tutorial in the form of a linear storyline however it seems to me they're wasting more time on it instead of working more on what are actually important features and aspects of a M&B game. And at TW's rate of development, something as needless as this shouldn't waste more time of developers who could be working on something useful.
Not to mention it also forces you into a family, and a "chosen one" narrative that is ridiculously out of place for M&B. Feels like a ****ty Skyrim knock-off chasing after some magic banner ( GET IT? BANNERLORD???) after your family's been kidnapped whilst encountering dozens of boring plot twists a minute.

Exactly. It's good to have a story line but it should be dynamic and tend to evolve at the pace that the character is evolving, not bolted to a rail.
By this I'm not saying " remove the main story", but rather hide it and let the plot be discovered if the character ever gets to it. The idea is to give the player a great open world populated with opportunities for interesting interactions (random and dynamic through a structured lore). The player should not be limited to a linear plot like a rail, but can interact with the world in any order he/she chooses and when he/she decides.

The Viking Conquest main story (from which Bannerlord clearly draws its inspiration) is correct for the type of historical narrative the title plays with. For Bannerlord, however, I would like our beginning to be the classic M&B.

uWJvs.png

If you choose "noble family" then you " jump in the mission" but if you choose " vagabond" you will have to look for other ways of interaction to create a clan.

Also, I understand that there are new users who have joined the franchise; however, to force a tutorial/training camp at the beginning of the campaign is to force the wagon to go through a certain rail. In my opinion, the tutorial as such should exist outside of the campaign, as an optional "tutorial" shortcut under the "campaign" shortcut. That said, I do favor the "training camp" as a location on the campaign map seen as it was in Warband (practice-skill gain).

Exactly. It's good to have a story line but it should be dynamic and tend to evolve at the pace that the character is evolving, not bolted to a rail.
By this I'm not saying " remove the main story", but rather hide it and let the plot be discovered if the character ever gets to it. The idea is to give the player a great open world populated with opportunities for interesting interactions (random and dynamic through a structured lore). The player should not be limited to a linear plot like a rail, but can interact with the world in any order he/she chooses and when he/she decides.

The Viking Conquest main story (from which Bannerlord clearly draws its inspiration) is correct for the type of historical narrative the title plays with. For Bannerlord, however, I would like our beginning to be the classic M&B.
Quality side quests and immersive world, then?

If you choose "noble family" then you " jump in the mission" but if you choose " vagabond" you will have to look for other ways of interaction to create a clan.
What do you mean by this?

Also, I understand that there are new users who have joined the franchise; however, to force a tutorial/training camp at the beginning of the campaign is to force the wagon to go through a certain rail. In my opinion, the tutorial as such should exist outside of the campaign, as an optional "tutorial" shortcut under the "campaign" shortcut. That said, I do favor the "training camp" as a location on the campaign map seen as it was in Warband (practice-skill gain).
Precisely.

You just want to rescue your family and you end up being the chosen one, they should have made a story that makes you have a feud with someone powerfull or something, not conquer the damn world.

I think there's definetly place for a story but it shouldn't make you conquer anything.

You just want to rescue your family and you end up being the chosen one, they should have made a story that makes you have a feud with someone powerfull or something, not conquer the damn world.

I think there's definetly place for a story but it shouldn't make you conquer anything.
Again it forces you to a certain background, family and story; and that restricts your creativity and control over your character.

Warband's was better but still I would like an option to customize my own family, write my own story and select my skills accordingly.

Personally I'd rather they focus on gameplay and to wasting time and resources on a main quest. It's suppose to be a sandbox not a story driven rpg. If they must have a main quest make it tutorial so new players can get the basics of how to play or experienced players can skip. There are too many open world rpgs that feel they need some kind of story driven narrative and I've never figured out why. There are very few open world games that had a great story but still felt like a sandbox, such as Morrowind or Fallout: NV. They are the exception not the rule. This just feels forced and out of place.

Again it forces you to a certain background, family and story; and that restricts your creativity and control over your character.

Warband's was better but still I would like an option to customize my own family, write my own story and select my skills accordingly.

I hate this, you play the same character every time. What if I want to play a bandit outlaw without any family? Guess what? Nope....

I dislike the main quest as it is now (it's very weird how your siblings being enslaved culminates in you becoming the leader of your own kingdom), but I think it would be interesting to have several different origin quests, similar to the start of the main quest that finishes with you rescuing your family, selectable at the start of a new game. They could make them varied enough and maybe even tweakable so you could decide how much, if any, family you have, your starting possessions, party and wealth, and your standing with all the factions in the game.

I dislike the main quest as it is now (it's very weird how your siblings being enslaved culminates in you becoming the leader of your own kingdom), but I think it would be interesting to have several different origin quests, similar to the start of the main quest that finishes with you rescuing your family, selectable at the start of a new game. They could make them varied enough and maybe even tweakable so you could decide how much, if any, family you have, your starting possessions, party and wealth, and your standing with all the factions in the game.

Exactly, I mean this is supposed to be a sandbox. Heck, I don't want my brother because I can't pay his wages at tier 1 unless I want to break the game with smithy cheating.

Both Arzagos and Istiana decides to call the main character bannerlord. Seems like too much of a coincidence and too convenient to be believable. It is not like Skyrim when people call the main character dragonborn, because dragonborn existed before that. But here, two unrelated people decide to suddenly call someone who found a banner bannerlord. Seems like lazy writing.

Both Arzagos and Istiana decides to call the main character bannerlord. Seems like too much of a coincidence and too convenient to be believable. It is not like Skyrim when people call the main character dragonborn, because dragonborn existed before that. But here, two unrelated people decide to suddenly call someone who found a banner bannerlord. Seems like lazy writing.

It's horrendous writing.

Back
Top Bottom