If you have a fast internet (50mb+) and a weak pc, there's a way to play Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

momcilo94

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I found out about this in the Facebook Bannerlord group. There is a service called NVIDIA GeForce Now. It hosts a strong computer for you and streams the game of your choice to you, Bannerlord is supported. You need to have a fast internet though between 50mb and 100mb and it's better if it's not wi fi. Anyway, it's free, but free players have to wait in a queue to get a computer assigned to them, from my experience doesn't take more than 10 minutes to get in. After you're in as a free player you can play for 1 hour then have to rejoin to start another session.

It helped me because my computer couldn't support Bannerlord. If you do use it make sure to go into settings and use similar settings to these https://gyazo.com/7359280a32109ace952b6e27bbb478d5 to get a sharper picture.

Here's the link to their website https://www.nvidia.com/en-eu/geforce-now/

How does that work if you don't physically have the hardware?
The remote computer runs the game and renders the graphic and streams it back to you and you send it your inputs to control it remotely, that's why you need good internet with speed and low latency. Might not look as good to you but it should run.

I have horrible internet so I'm glad SSD and more ram helped me run BL better.

How does that work if you don't physically have the hardware?
Its like watching a live stream of someone else playing the game. Have you never watched a video on twitch for example of a game that your PC can't run?
The only difference is that you send your keyboard & mouse input to that remote PC. And you see the result in the live stream.

So that is completely free? On the side of Nvidia?
Do you have to have an account somewhere or any older Nvidia GPU?

I mean i can run BL fine on my i7 7700k and vega 64, but it would just amaze me that Nvidia gives something useful for free.

Right now GFN is free, but you have to wait in queue for a vacant slot and after an hour it kicks you out. Paid accounts can play for 6 hours straight and have priority queue. Free account also doesn't get RTX.

I think these are the only major differences.

Don't think the service will stay free when the pandemic's over.

You also have to pay for the game itself, so on the long run you pay for a subscription model + the game.
If the internet is down you can't play.
You also can not use mods afaik. And lets be real here, Mount & Blade without Mods is not that great. Especially Bannerlord is lacking a lot of features.
And on top of that, Taleworlds could take down the game from GFN anytime, as many other Publisher/Developers did lately.

I would stick with saving up money, upgrading your PC and play like usually. And a decent PC is not that expensive nowadays, especially if you go for AMD. You can build a pretty decent PC for less than 1000 bucks nowadays, and there are hundreds of videos/guides on youtube and dedicated sites that show you how to do it.

Do you have to have an account somewhere or any older Nvidia GPU?

I mean i can run BL fine on my i7 7700k and vega 64, but it would just amaze me that Nvidia gives something useful for free.

Yes it has a free tier. You wait in queue until you get in, from my experience doesn't take longer than 10 minutes. Then you can play for 1 hour and after that you have to go back to the queue if you want to play more. Anyway, I don't think the free tier is connected to the covid situation, I think they will keep the free tier but we will see.

I tried that a bit while travelling and playing from my laptop. Worked well enough for Witcher 3. All around pretty impressed. The hit and miss on supported games is kind of annoying though.

It's a great option for people who have good internet but don't have gaming machines. I'm guessing there are lots of millennials who haven't been gaming much since having kids, but maybe want to try it again now that they kids are older.

Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. Is it worth paying a few bucks a month so you can play games a couple hours a week instead of sinking a couple grand into a gaming rig? Sure. I think the target audience is going to be relatively casual gamers.

would be worth trying, biggest complaints I've heard about streaming games is that even with a great connection you can have a latency issue, most connections have at least 20ms delay, and I've read that anything above 13ms is noticeable. This is a big deal in FPS or beat 'em up games, but probably not such a big deal in M&B.

would be worth trying, biggest complaints I've heard about streaming games is that even with a great connection you can have a latency issue, most connections have at least 20ms delay, and I've read that anything above 13ms is noticeable. This is a big deal in FPS or beat 'em up games, but probably not such a big deal in M&B.

There's no input lag at all, only downside is your resolution feels a bit blurry even after setting everything to max, but I got used to it. Also, the fact that you have to wait in a queue and your session is limited to 1h then you have to get back to queue although this is understandable for the free tier.

There's no input lag at all, only downside is your resolution feels a bit blurry even after setting everything to max, but I got used to it. Also, the fact that you have to wait in a queue and your session is limited to 1h then you have to get back to queue although this is understandable for the free tier.

input lag will vary from person to person. it depends on your ping

Back
Top Bottom