Blood and gore.

Users who are viewing this thread

They should put it in the game, but have an option to reduce or disable it.
Eh.......if you need excessive blood gore (it's rarely realistic) then mods seem the way to go.

I'd rather they work on legitimate features, and not something where the exact formula of "how much" will never make everyone happy

Realistic gore would be nice. The game would be greatly improved the more battles move from uncanny valley robotic bot-beep-boop tincan men to feeling like a struggle of life and death between individuals. Realistic gore with rare dismemberment would be a one piece of that pie.

Literally every game in the universe basically lets you turn this stuff off if it is off-putting to you, and that always should be case because player choice about their experience is good.

Could it be beheading?

Perhaps some of the bodies may be, but the cases as shown in the picture, no. Those are still wearing mail coifs -- and cutting a head off when somebody is wearing a coif, is literally impossible. Protecting the head and neck from cuts is exactly what the coif is designed for, and it's likely a person dies from the neck breaking, because a blade cannot cut through coif -- damaging the rings and perhaps a partial cut, is about the best it can do.

Which means, the cases in the picture are simply bodies picked up from the battlefield and hastily buried. Because decapitation is unlikely, the cause of death is clearly displayed in the pictures -- an attack to the exposed face -- brutal for sure. But not exactly a decapitation.

Realistic gore would be nice. The game would be greatly improved the more battles move from uncanny valley robotic bot-beep-boop tincan men to feeling like a struggle of life and death between individuals. Realistic gore with rare dismemberment would be a one piece of that pie.

Except there's nothing realistic about gore and dismemberment. Literally, what we currently have is as real as it gets.

Appealing to the fantasies people have, can be a good selling point, yes. But as much, not appealing to fantasies and keeping it real, is also a good selling point. That's what this game is based on, and I don't see a reason to change that and start including fantasy depictions.

Literally every game in the universe basically lets you turn this stuff off if it is off-putting to you, and that always should be case because player choice about their experience is good.

Not when there's nothing to be really gained for putting in that extra effort. If the game starts appealing to one brand of fantasy, then what's to stop others? Dual wielding. Fantasy armors and weapons? Great sword bigger than a horse? Whirlwing attacks? Bikini armors. Magic? Dragons? Who gets the say in which fantasy should be allowed and which should not be?

It's simply not that kind of game.

lol for shock value maybe. Idk about the whole hard realism claim some ppl are making. Next time you survive a battle with an arrow sticking out of your head or a javelin through your chest make note of it and pay attention to how fast you heal from it. Days to recover from removing a spike that imbeded in your ribcage.

Except there's nothing realistic about gore and dismemberment. Literally, what we currently have is as real as it gets.

I disagree. I'm not talking about fantastical gore, but I'm sorry I've worked on job sites where we use machinery less dangerous then the weaponry in this game and have seen fingers and hands go by-by. If you think nobody ever lost a hand or a finger in combat, even if not the most common wound by a long shot, I think you're generalizing and simplifying a very complex "thing" that happened.

I've seen, in real life, someone lose a finger to an axe. That's not a fantasy, that's reality.

What we have is basically blood splattering textures. That isn't "as real as it gets", not at all.

Is the mod on Nexus a good representation? No. Constant decapitations are silly. That's not what I asked for.

Do you think how Javelins are simulated in BL as as "real as it gets"? I've never seen one take one to the chest but I bet their chest doesnt just stain red a little bit in a random pattern.

Appealing to the fantasies people have, can be a good selling point, yes. But as much, not appealing to fantasies and keeping it real, is also a good selling point. That's what this game is based on, and I don't see a reason to change that and start including fantasy depictions.

I reject your premise.
Some gore is "fantastical" some gore is not.
I am not interested in fantastical gore.
I am interested in realistic gore.

Don't strawman my argument.

Not when there's nothing to be really gained for putting in that extra effort. If the game starts appealing to one brand of fantasy, then what's to stop others? Dual wielding. Fantasy armors and weapons? Great sword bigger than a horse? Whirlwing attacks? Bikini armors. Magic? Dragons? Who gets the say in which fantasy should be allowed and which should not be?

It's simply not that kind of game.

Okay, now this is just slippery-slope fallacy strawman city. You're not replying to anything I've said or implied and are jousting your own fantasy argument in this last bit.

I'm going to be blunt: You assumed a whole bunch of implications from my post.
If you want to argue this isn't a good use of Dev resources, or that the type of realistic dismemberment is really hard to model and just not feasible then yeah, you probably have a decent argument I'd respect, but believing Bannerlord is peak realism and accusing me of wanting dragons is a pretty **** response.

Perhaps some of the bodies may be, but the cases as shown in the picture, no. Those are still wearing mail coifs -- and cutting a head off when somebody is wearing a coif, is literally impossible. Protecting the head and neck from cuts is exactly what the coif is designed for, and it's likely a person dies from the neck breaking, because a blade cannot cut through coif -- damaging the rings and perhaps a partial cut, is about the best it can do.

Which means, the cases in the picture are simply bodies picked up from the battlefield and hastily buried. Because decapitation is unlikely, the cause of death is clearly displayed in the pictures -- an attack to the exposed face -- brutal for sure. But not exactly a decapitation.
The cases that I showed are not in the support of decapitation per se, but excessive violence. I don't think it's possible to decapitate someone wearing armour, even something as simple as a mail coif. But not everyone was wearing armour, and certainly not in earlier ages. So I wouldn't rule out decapitation as hastily.

Tho if there is increased gore I really wanna know what happens if ppl are shot with ballistas and catapults. Or from catapults lol.

OP here. I think people are forgetting this is a video game for entertainment and not a historical reenactment. I even fail to see the "realism" people are quoting. Is it the 4 arrows or javs sticking out of me yet I don't bleed? Is it the fact I can swing away at the enemy behind their shield wall with no attest? Is it the castle walls getting filled to the brim where a water fall of men occurs? Or maybe building a battering ram too big for the second gate and you have to break it down with your swords.

If anything this game is really -unrealistic- when it comes to gore and wounds. No matter what armor type and/or power of attack (except for location dmg with armor soak) it's always just a small gash, a flesh wound. Charging a cloth geared peasant and swinging a massive battle axe to his neck, shouldn't cause a simple flesh wound.

I'm not saying this happened back in history. I wouldn't argue if it did or didn't. I'm not a professional historian...I'm just going off of what I do in game. And based on my actions in game, it would make sense to spill guts, cut a head off every now and then. You could even pick it up as a trophy of battle. It would be realistic.

I think people are forgetting this is a video game for entertainment and not a historical reenactment.
The relative (compared to most games) realism of M&B is the entertainment. That's what sets it apart from so many other games, and the reason so many of us are here, and have been for more than a decade now.
Also, you say "not for historical reenactment" when some of the most popular multiplayer mods for WB were based around reenactment, like Mount and Musket(Later turned into Napoleonic Wars), Persistent World, The Deluge, Vikingr and others.

Could this not be settled with a gore setting? Realism vs Power Fantasy where on the left you get less gore and tighter animations and to the right you get the hollywood loose animations and dismemberment. Sell the feature as a 2$ DLC for the people who want it.

Could this not be settled with a gore setting? Realism vs Power Fantasy where on the left you get less gore and tighter animations and to the right you get the hollywood loose animations and dismemberment. Sell the feature as a 2$ DLC for the people who want it.
Could this not be settled with a mod? Yes, it could. And hopefully, will be.

Well, clearly it's just you failing to see what others can. Don't worry, it's not your fault. What matters is that we are enjoying the realism. That's why we're here, and we want to stay.

What matters is that we are enjoying the realism.
Is it the 4 arrows or javs sticking out of me yet I don't bleed? Is it the fact I can swing away at the enemy behind their shield wall with no attest? Is it the castle walls getting filled to the brim where a water fall of men occurs? Or maybe building a battering ram too big for the second gate and you have to break it down with your swords.

Yeah
But I would like to see a little gore, yes, there are only red spots on the bodies

The should absolutely put it in the game! At least some arms, legs, and heads rolling once you do enough damage or critical damage.

Back
Top Bottom