Huge Performance Issues in battles 1.3 beta

Users who are viewing this thread

They've released a hotfix, but I haven't noticed any performance fixes in the list. Has someone tested it already? Is the problem still exists?
Seems fixed. I just fought some battles in campaign and custom, many troops were retreating, performance was smooth all the time.

I mean not only am I seeing a huge performance drop but the graphics went from nice, clean and crisp looking to almost what feels like low resolution textures and it is almost as if film grain is still being applied despite me having it turned off in the settings. The graphics in my game looks horrible now.
The very first thing I noticed loading up 1.3 was how low-res the targeting reticle suddenly looked.

Since I keep two separate installations from Steam's default file location (I keep Steam games on HDD I can simply cold-swap into another computer if I want to play there, and move any new beta release on SSD while keeping the one revision back as a backup in case things happen), I fired up 1.2 just to make sure I'm not imagining things.

It's not just the reticle, either, lighting quality and model appearance at a distance has definitely been made much worse for some reason at the same graphical settings as I played in 1.2

Make sure in your desktop video settings, I use Nvidia, that you force physX to graphics card and not CPU, also check your cpu temps, this patch cooks my overclock and for some reason wants to run through the cpu.

I've had a problem with the game freezing randomly. Sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for 10 minutes. This fixes the freezing for me, but now the fps is very low. Before the patch I had no problems running the game at all.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
8 gigs of ram
i5 2.3gz quad core

edit: just realized the graphics card in bannerlord setting was set to onboard instead of gtx. Not sure how long that's been the case so that could've been causing my problem. changed nvidia setting back to auto select and will re-edit if freezing continues. Could've been the hot fix that fixed it too

edit 2: freezing continued after a little bit, both for auto-select and for gtx as the physX processor, back to unplayable

edit 3: force closed steam and switched physX to cpu and am playing smoothly again. So weird. I'm sure the freezing will continue at some point

edit 4: After the game freezes, switching the physX processor to the option not currently selected seems to give me another 20-40 minutes of gameplay before it starts again. No idea why this happens but hey I can at least still play

Last edited:
It's not just the reticle, either, lighting quality and model appearance at a distance has definitely been made much worse for some reason at the same graphical settings as I played in 1.2

Graphical settings may stay the same, but how they work inside the engine is a subject to change. Take lighting for example: low/medium/high - what it does exactly nobody knows. Some of these options could be simply broken at current state. For me after 1.3 static shadows started to flicker when I moved the camera. I solved it by changing some settings from medium to high, or visa versa, don't remember exactly.

Last edited:
It actually seems to be better now, fps wise, for me at least. No more stutters when I hit the enemy, no stutters when enemy was retreating, world map seems to run smoother as well. Some of the menus are still **** though, like the one with the battle statistics at the end, that one stutters a bit.

Graphical settings may stay the same, but how they work inside the engine is a subject to change.
I do understand that part, but it was a pretty huge change without explicit mention in the patch notes. Unless I missed it, that is, in which case this one's on me.

Not sure why the targeting reticle would be affected by this change, though. Losing its prior crisp look does bother me far more than it should, but I've always been visually acute in that respect.

+1
My game performance in battle took an absolute nosedive on beta 1.3. Fought a large field battle, and game started stuttering like crazy as soon as the fighting started. Never had a problem like this on any previous version of the game.

Just checked it myself and I can surely say that the problem wasn't fixed.

Though, the first battle was smooth, the second one (and not that big, I should say, ~320 vs. 110) started stutering like hell in the middle of the fight. Never returned to normal condition, so I can say that the 1.3.0 is still unplayable.

Played 3 battles so far on 1.3.0 beta. The first two seemed fine, but the third battle became a huge stuttering mess once the armies got close and the fighting started, which stayed until the end of the battle.

So, small battles, upwards of 30 participants... works alright. Same as 1.3.0. Go above that and... well you can see the video...

Wow. You guys weren't kidding. Its so bad!! How did they **** this up? What are they even doing??

I'm on a new rig i've had only since October 2019, $1500. Runs EVERYTHING great. 1.3 has F'd this game up, i can't play large battles as half way through the stutters make the battles unplayable.

Please optimize and fix 1.3. Until then I guess i'm playing other games.

2070 Super
i7-9700k 3.6 ghz quad
16 GB Ram
1 TB SSD

Also stuff

Check this out (in my case I had to disable odd-numbered cores, but you can do this while the game is running):

Check this out (in my case I had to disable odd-numbered cores, but you can do this while the game is running):

Judging by many posts from different people, the problem isn't a CPU, but GPU - looks like the game just stops using it at some point.

Judging by many posts from different people, the problem isn't a CPU, but GPU - looks like the game just stops using it at some point.
No no, this is good. It worked for me! If you`ve got multithreaded cpu`s (you have an equal amount of virtual cores for all the physical cores of your cpu), the game won`t use the virtual ones. It will tell your operating system it only needs 1 or 2, hence the small usage of cpu power (under 30%) and your cpu won`t bother using the rest of the physical cores, it will mostly use just one.

Seems fixed. I just fought some battles in campaign and custom, many troops were retreating, performance was smooth all the time.
Not fixed. Started fresh new campaign 1.3.0 beta after hotfix. If enemy lord's troops starting to flee, it becomes a slideshow <1 FPS stuttering. The same as from loaded 1.2.0 game.
In custom battle everything is smooth.

Last edited:
I can also confirm there seems to be something that happens when the enemy starts fleeing in field battles. In a 50vs50 battle that I usually always run at perfect 60 FPS, the game turned into a slideshow the moment the enemy began fleeing.

Back
Top Bottom