[resolved] Manipulate mipmaps separately

Users who are viewing this thread

snouz

Sergeant Knight
Hello! I'm searching how to manipulate mipmap levels separately.

I use this dds plugin for gimp (installed gimp just for it as the photoshop plugin doesn't allow me that).
It opens mipmaps in different layers, and allows me to re-export layers as mipmap levels with a "use existing mipmaps" export option
BUT
It greys out that option when my image has transparency.

I know the person that did "world map hd" managed to do it with mountains and trees.

My goal is to make this disappear as I get closer

O3a40SQ.png

Can someone help me?

Thank you : )

Hi!
Coincidentally I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows how to do it. And as it turns out it's pretty straightforward. But the catch is - you (probably) must use Photoshop, since I can't find word "Gimp" in "NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop". Anyway, to the point:

1. Install Adobe Photoshop trial (internet can help extending that trial period, so I've heard)
2. Install "NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop" plugin from developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
3. Create new image, add alpha channel and save it as DDS file. When Nvidia DDS Format window appears:
  a) from drop-down list at the top select:
          DXT  5 ARGB 8bpp | interpolated alpha
  b) MIP Map Generation setting:
          Generate MIP Maps
  c) Click Save
4. Open that DDS file and when NVIDIA DDS Read Properties window appears, make sure those options are selected before clicking OK:
  - Load MIP maps
  - Show this dialog (< if you uncheck this then Regedit will be needed to bring this window back again; don't do it)
5. Save this as PSD
6. Edit it as you need
7. Save this file as DDS again but now with different setting:
  a) from drop-down list at the top still select:
  b) but now in MIP Map Generation setting choose:
          Use Existing MIP Maps [All]
8. Done! : )

cosmic.peasant said:
Hi!
Coincidentally I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows how to do it. And as it turns out it's pretty straightforward. But the catch is - you (probably) must use Photoshop, since I can't find word "Gimp" in "NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop". Anyway, to the point:

1. Install Adobe Photoshop trial (internet can help extending that trial period, so I've heard)
2. Install "NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop" plugin from developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
3. Create new image, add alpha channel and save it as DDS file. When Nvidia DDS Format window appears:
  a) from drop-down list at the top select:
  b) MIP Map Generation setting:
          Generate MIP Maps
  c) Click Save
4. Open that DDS file and when NVIDIA DDS Read Properties window appears, make sure those options are selected before clicking OK:
  - Load MIP maps
  - Show this dialog (< if you uncheck this then Regedit will be needed to bring this window back again; don't do it)
5. Save this as PSD
6. Edit it as you need
7. Save this file as DDS again but now with different setting:
  a) from drop-down list at the top still select:
  b) but now in MIP Map Generation setting choose:
          Use Existing MIP Maps [All]
8. Done! : )

Thank you very very much! I now know why I couldn't do that in photoshop (I tried gimp for that), I didn't have that import window as I probably unchecked it before.
I just searched for the fix and here it is
http://www.patb.com/?p=23

That resolves my issue, thank you 1000 times : )

Back
Top Bottom