LSP Medieval 2D Art The Historic Lords Project (Volume 2 Released)

Users who are viewing this thread

18pm.gif

Inspiration:
Alfonso_X_of_Castile.jpg

Alfonso X, El Sabio, or the learned, (1221-1284, reigned 1252-1284), king of Castile and León, is perhaps the most interesting, though far from the most capable, of the Spanish kings of the Middle Ages.

He was a writer, and he had considerable scientific fame, based mainly on his encouragement of astronomy and the Ptolemaic cosmogony as known to him through the Arabs.

As a ruler he showed legislative capacity, and a very commendable wish to provide his kingdoms with a code of laws and a consistent judicial system. The Fuero Real was undoubtedly his work, and he began the code called the Siete Partidas, which, however, was only promulgated by his great-grandson. He lacked the singleness of purpose required by a ruler who would devote himself to organization, and also the combination of firmness with temper needed for dealing with his nobles. His descent from the Hohenstaufen through his mother, a daughter of the emperor Philip of Swabia, gave him claims to represent the Swabian line. The choice of the German electors, after the death of Conrad IV in 1254, misled him into wild schemes which never took effect but caused immense expense. To obtain money he debased the coinage, and then endeavoured to prevent a rise in prices by an arbitrary tariff. The little trade of his dominions was ruined, and the burghers and peasants were deeply offended. His nobles, whom he tried to cow by sporadic acts of violence, rebelled against him.

His second son, Sancho, enforced his claim to be heir, in preference to the children of Ferdinand de la Cerda, the elder brother who died in Alfonso's life. Son and nobles alike supported the Moors, when he tried to unite the nation in a crusade; and when he allied himself with the rulers of Morocco they denounced him as an enemy of the faith. A reaction in his favour was beginning in his later days, but he died defeated and deserted at Seville, leaving a will by which he endeavoured to exclude Sancho and a heritage of civil war.

In addition to his other achievements, Alfonso X commissioned numerous works during his reign, including the Cantigas de Santa Maria (400+ songs mentioning the Virgin Mary) and the Libro de los juegos, or book of games.

mc9.gif

Zawisza Czarny z Garbowa (c.1379 in Stary Garbów, Poland – 1428 in Golubac, Serbian Despotate), was a Polish knight and nobleman. He served as a soldier and diplomat under the Polish king Władysław II and Hungarian-Bohemian king Sigismund of Luxembourg. During his life, he was regarded as a model of knightly virtues and was renowned for winning multiple tournaments. His nickname is due to his black hair and his custom-made, black armor, which is kept at the Jasna Góra Monastery.

In 1410 he took part in the Battle of Grunwald against the Teutonic Order. After the battle he proposed a peace treaty between the King Jagiełło of Poland and King Sigismund of Luxembourg of Hungary, which came to be known as the Treaty of Lubowla. In 1412 he participated in the conference between Sigismund, Wladyslaw II and Tvrtko II of Bosnia at Buda, where he won the tournament held there, with 1500 knights present.

Zawisza was a diplomat as often as a warrior, being many times an envoy for the Polish king Władysław II and Hungarian-Bohemian king Sigismund of Luxembourg. As one of six diplomats that represented the Polish Kingdom and king Władysław Jagiełło at the Council of Constance, where he was one a very few supporters of the church reformer Jan Hus and consequently strongly opposed his condemnation and subsequent execution.

In 1416 he participated in a tournament in Perpignan in which he defeated the well-known knight John of Aragon. The following year, he became the starosta of Kruszwica. In 1419 he went to Sigismund again, as a deputy of King Jogaila, to ask for the hand of Ofka, the widow of Sigismund’s brother Wenceslaus King of Bohemia. Subsequently, Zawisza participated in the Hussite Wars on the side of king Sigismund. During Sigismund’s defeat at Kutná Hora, Zawisza was taken prisoner by the Czechs and subsequently released in return for a high ransom.

In 1428, Zawisza, with his retinue as a commander of light horse banner of 500 horsemen, joined the forces of Sigismund in the king's war against the Ottoman Turks. During that disastrous campaign he fought the Turks at the Siege of Golubac on the Danube in modern-day Serbia. Sigismund army was defeated by the Turkish forces. They had to retreat across the Danube, with only a few boats to ferry the troops over to safety. Zawisza's banner was guarding the retreating army. Being a man of importance, he was personally sent for by king Sigismund. He allegedly refused to retreat, disheartened by king's apparent cowardice. He was either killed in combat or executed in Turkish captivity.

He was survived by his wife, Barbara of Badolino, and four sons: Zawisza, Jan (killed at the battle of Chojnice), Marcin and Stanislaw (the last two killed at the battle of Varna); and a daughter, probably also named Barbara. His granddaughter, Barbara of Roznow, was the mother of the Polish Renaissance military commander, hetman Jan Tarnowski.

4yub.gif

William Longespée, jure uxoris 3rd Earl of Salisbury (c. 1176 – 7 March 1226) was an English noble, primarily remembered for his command of the English forces at the Battle of Damme and for remaining loyal to King John. His nickname "Longespée" is generally taken as a reference to his great size and the oversized weapons he wielded.

He was an illegitimate son of Henry II of England. His mother was unknown for many years until the discovery of a charter William made that mentions "Comitissa Ida, mater mea" (Countess Ida, my mother).

This Ida de Tosny, a member of the prominent Tosny (or Toesny) family, married Roger Bigod, 2nd Earl of Norfolk in 1181.

King Henry acknowledged William as his son and gave him the honour of Appleby, Lincolnshire, in 1188. Eight years later, his half brother Richard I married him to a great heiress, Ela of Salisbury, 3rd Countess of Salisbury in her own right, and daughter of William of Salisbury, 2nd Earl of Salisbury.

During the reign of King John, Salisbury was at court on several important ceremonial occasions and held various offices: sheriff of Wiltshire; lieutenant of Gascony; constable of Dover; and Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports; and later warden of the Welsh Marches. He was appointed sheriff of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire about 1213.

He was a commander in the king's Welsh and Irish expeditions of 1210–1212. The king also granted him the honour of Eye in Suffolk.

In 1213, Salisbury led a large fleet to Flanders, where he seized or destroyed a good part of a French invasion fleet anchored at or near Damme. This ended the invasion threat but not the conflicts between England and France. In 1214, Salisbury was sent to help Otto IV of Germany, an English ally, who was invading France. Salisbury commanded the right wing of the army at their disastrous defeat in that year at the Battle of Bouvines, where he was captured.

By the time he returned to England, revolt was brewing amongst the barons. Salisbury was one of the few who remained loyal to John. In the civil war that took place the year after the signing of the Magna Carta, Salisbury was one of the leaders of the king's army in the south. He was made High Sheriff of Wiltshire again, this time for life. After raising the siege of Lincoln with William Marshall he was also appointed High Sheriff of Lincolnshire (in addition to his current post as High Sheriff of Somerset) and governor of Lincoln castle. However, after the French prince Louis (later Louis VIII) landed as an ally of the rebels, Salisbury went over to his side. Presumably, he thought John's cause was lost.

After John's death and the departure of Louis, Salisbury, along with many other barons, joined the cause of John's young son, now Henry III of England. He held an influential place in the government during the king's minority and fought in Gascony to help secure the remaining part of the English continental possessions. He was appointed High Sheriff of Devon in 1217 and High Sheriff of Staffordshire and Shropshire in 1224. Salisbury's ship was nearly lost in a storm while returning to England in 1225, and he spent some months in refuge at a monastery on the French island of Ré.

He died not long after his return to England at Salisbury Castle. Roger of Wendover alleged that he was poisoned by Hubert de Burgh. He was buried at Salisbury Cathedral in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England.

William Longespée's tomb was opened in 1791. Bizarrely, the well-preserved corpse of a rat which carried traces of arsenic, was found inside his skull. The rat is now on display in a case at the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.

4po.gif

Robert Fitzwalter (died 9 December 1235) was the leader of the baronial opposition against King John, and one of the twenty-five sureties of Magna Carta. He was feudal baron of Little Dunmow, Essex and constable of Baynard's Castle, in London, to which was annexed the hereditary office of castellain and chief banneret of the City of London. Part of the official aristocracy created by Henry I and Henry II, he served John in the wars in Normandy, in which he was taken prisoner by King Philip II of France and forced to pay a heavy ransom.

Fitzwalter was implicated in the baronial conspiracy of 1212. According to his own statement the king had attempted to seduce his eldest daughter, but Robert's account of his grievances varied from time to time. The truth seems to be that he was irritated by the suspicion with which John regarded the new baronage. Fitzwalter escaped a trial by fleeing to France. He was outlawed, but returned under a special amnesty after John's reconciliation with the pope.

Fitzwalter continued, however, to take the lead in the baronial agitation against the king, and upon the outbreak of hostilities in 1215 was elected "Marshal of the army of God and Holy Church". It was due to his influence in London that his party obtained the support of the city and used it as their base of operations. The clause of the Magna Carta prohibiting sentences of exile, except as the result of a lawful trial, refers more particularly to his case. He was one of the twenty-five barons appointed to enforce the promises of Magna Carta, and his aggressive attitude was one of the causes which contributed to the revival of civil war later in 1215.

Fitzwalter's incompetent leadership made it necessary for the rebels to invoke the help of France. He was one of the envoys who invited Prince Louis to England, and was the first of the barons to do homage when Louis entered London. Though slighted by the French as a traitor to his natural lord, he served Louis with fidelity until he was captured at the battle of Lincoln in May 1217. Released on the conclusion of peace, he joined the Fifth Crusade, but returned at an early date to make his peace with the regency. The remainder of his career was uneventful, and he died peacefully in 1235. He is remembered as a champion of English liberty, and has also become associated with various legends, including that of Robin Hood.

Why is Fitzwalter included in Volume 4 too? Anyway, the guys I'm waiting for:
Vlad III Țepeș "Dracula", Prince of Wallachia
Richard III, King of England
Macbeth, King of Scotland
Ambrosius Aurelianus "King Arthur"
Roland, Frankish knight
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Harald Sigurdsson
Can you include Harald Sigurdsson instead of Fitzwalter in Vol.4(If we're talking about the same Fitzwalter and this is all a big mistake)?

Robert Fitzwalter 1st Baron Fitzwalter lived from (1247 – 18 January 1326), he's a descendent of the other Robert Fitzwalter. Baron Fitzwalter was newly created in the peerage system for him.

nwu.gif

Hartmann von Aue (born 1160-70, died 1210-20) was a Middle-High German knight and poet. He introduced the courtly romance into German literature and, with Wolfram von Eschenbach and Gottfried von Strassburg, was one of the three great epic poets of Middle-High German literature. He was also a Minnesänger, and 18 of his songs still survive.

He belonged to the lower nobility of Swabia, where he was born. After receiving a monastic education, he became retainer (Dienstmann) of a nobleman whose domain, Aue, has been identified with Obernau on the River Neckar. He also took part in the Crusade of 1196-97. The date of his death is as uncertain as that of his birth; he is mentioned by Gottfried von Strassburg (c. 1210) as still alive, and in the Crône of Heinrich von dem Türlin, written about 1220, he is mourned for as dead.

Hartmann produced four narrative poems which are of importance for the evolution of the Middle High German court epic. The first of these, Erec, which may have been written as early as 1191 or 1192, and the last, Iwein, belong to the Arthurian cycle and are based on epics by Chrétien de Troyes (Erec and Enide and Yvain, the Knight of the Lion, respectively). Interestingly, while the story of Chretien's Yvain refers to events in Chretien's Lancelot, to explain that Arthur is not present to help because Guinevere has been kidnapped, Hartmann did not adapt Chretien's Lancelot. The result is that Hartmann's Erec introduces entirely different explanations for Guinevere's kidnapping, which do not correspond to what occurred in the shared literary universe of Chretien's Arthurian romances.

His other two narrative poems are Gregorius, also an adaptation of a French epic, and Der arme Heinrich, which tells the story of a leper cured by a young girl who is willing to sacrifice her life for him. The source of this tale evidently came from the lore of the noble family whom Hartmann served.

Gregorius, Der arme Heinrich and Hartmann's lyrics, which are all fervidly religious in tone, imply a tendency towards asceticism, but, on the whole, Hartmann's striving seems rather to have been to reconcile the extremes of life; to establish a middle way of human conduct between the worldly pursuits of knighthood and the ascetic ideals of medieval religion.

Translations have been made into modern German of all Hartmann's poems, while Der arme Heinrich has repeatedly attracted the attention of modern poets, both English (Longfellow, Rossetti) and German (notably, Gerhart Hauptmann).

ThaneWulfgharn said:
Why is Fitzwalter included in Volume 4 too? Anyway, the guys I'm waiting for:
Vlad III Țepeș "Dracula", Prince of Wallachia
Richard III, King of England
Macbeth, King of Scotland
Ambrosius Aurelianus "King Arthur"
Roland, Frankish knight
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Harald Sigurdsson
Can you include Harald Sigurdsson instead of Fitzwalter in Vol.4(If we're talking about the same Fitzwalter and this is all a big mistake)?

I checked through the thread and saw no suggestion for 1st Baron Fitzwalter, so I'm thinking it was a mistake. I'll replace him with Harald Sigurdsson (Hardrada) since you caught the mistake.  :wink:

ThaneWulfgharn said:
Thanks. Looking forward to him! Haardrada is one of my favorite medieval lords/kings.

I'm looking forward to him as well.

thick1988
If I am not mistaken the OSP is missing the textures boot10 and boot14.  I noticed this when looking at William the Conqueror's boots, which aren't showing up correctly for me.

939_face.jpg
    Yaqut the Tall

tly1.jpg

008mx.jpg

picture1imf.png

picture1rkn.png

zp1j.jpg

christa-hook-showing-a-arab-muslim-cavalryman-named-yaqut-attacking-two-frankish-christian-horseman.jpg

_kyn0815_1024x768_.jpg

yfi.png

ymg8.png

015.JPG

902_face.jpg
    Olaf Tryggvason

photo139z.jpg
helm1.gif

%3F%3F%3F2.png

vikingsexpo2005_7.jpg

41-0844d74bed.jpg

rough+men.jpg

fw034.jpg

2e1030vikings.png

swedish-vikings-rus-boarding-byzantine-ship-in-the-black-sea-early-10th-century.jpg

006.JPG

903_face.jpg
    Saint Olaf II Haraldsson

olaff+II.jpg

Norway%2003a.jpg
Olav+di+Norvegia2.JPG

fw031.jpg

fall_of_st_olaf.jpg

19-81992b6b37.jpg

20-ee09a70047.jpg

1243_face.jpg
    Harald Hardrada

014.jpg

015.jpg

fw036.jpg

fw037.jpg

http://****-k.narod.ru/Historical_Arts/Anglo-Saxon_Wars/Anglo-Saxon_Wars_07.jpg
fire-from-the-fens-c-1071-by-chris-collingwood-p-fire-from-the-fens-c-1071-by-chris-collingwood-p.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%283%29.jpg

034.jpg

103.jpg

Hi, I've got an issue with the Villiers and Wallace armors from pack 1. They don't seem to have any specular or normal map, and thus look very bright and ugly compared to other armors, although they're fine in Openbrf. Any way to fix this?

Deathwhisper said:
Hi, I've got an issue with the Villiers and Wallace armors from pack 1. They don't seem to have any specular or normal map, and thus look very bright and ugly compared to other armors, although they're fine in Openbrf. Any way to fix this?
I too got this although the worst for me is that the cloth part of the Villiers helmet is über bright and the Tannhauser armor's texture is messed up. It would be great if somebody knew how to manually fix these issues.  :smile:

I also got some unhistoric suggestions. I have always wanted to recreate the characters on the Original and Warband covers and I am sure that Thick or some other skilled moddeler could do it. Obviously unhistorical though...
Mount_%26_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
attachment.php

GunFred said:
Deathwhisper said:
I too got this although the worst for me is that the cloth part of the Villiers helmet is über bright and the Tannhauser armor's texture is messed up. It would be great if somebody knew how to manually fix these issues.  :smile:

I also got some unhistoric suggestions. I have always wanted to recreate the characters on the Original and Warband covers and I am sure that Thick or some other skilled moddeler could do it. Obviously unhistorical though...
Mount_%26_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
The armor from the warband cover is already ingame: http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Coat_of_Plates

McBeanie said:
The armor from the warband cover is already ingame: http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Coat_of_Plates
Only the upper half is good enough. The lower half needs to look more like a mail version of the following Heraldic Mail. A decent modder should be able to merge bits from Native together for the Warband cover but the Original would probably take more than a little skill to do well.
Heraldic_Mail_B.jpg

Back
Top Bottom