[UNAC] Maps & Weekly Map Pool

Users who are viewing this thread

Been checking the WNL map threads lately. Seems to be a lack of open (as we define it) maps all around the scene. Though there are some interesting mixed and closed maps available.

Khudan Outskirts (Snowy Hamlet 2.0)

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,268902.msg6578869.html#msg6578869

There are more in that thread. Some of them are on POM already.

What do you mean by rejected? Like on their forums, someone submitted them and they were rejected? I see a few from Fehnor's updated ENL pack (which POM needs to update to the latest one btw). Not in rotation but I doubt we couldn't poll them.

to be completely honest, unless your adding closed maps i dont feel the open maps in this iteration of the WNL were really worth adding. Post Sandy's people seem to find it easy to make entertaining and well thought out closed maps, but cant make open maps for ****. If you are adding closed maps, Fort of Honour went down extremely well across the board. Personally i think it would make a good replacement for Desert Town, or just an addition to the pool.

I am planning to make an Open map too after i am done with this one.
I already have two maps(Druid's Grove and Lost Castle) that could be adjusted and made more open.I will definitely give it a try.

Anyway,here is the map.Constructive feedback would be nice.
Originally my plan was to make Open map,but after adding few scene props I really felt that Mixed category is where this map would fit in perfectly.Lot of free space for cavalry to move,but also good positions for Infantry and Rangers to take cover.All MotFs are in open and i don't plan on adding too many props around them to make it even easier for cavalry.Fort,Village and Camp wont have that many props either,but will have some defensive positions for Rangers and Infantry

Lake Fort
Map is still WIP.
Screenshots:
128690466-4.jpg
128690248-4.jpg
128690271-4.jpg
128690318-4.jpg
128690344-4.jpg
128690284-4.jpg
128690431-4.jpg

128690413-4.jpg
128690382-4.jpg
128690451-4.jpg

Mad Dawg said:
Additional custom maps should only be as needed.  Plenty of closed and mixed, we only need more open.

I would also re-evaluate River Valley, specifically it's classification of Open.

We would love to throw River Valley in mixed. We need a replacement for it.

However, we've discussed maps and such, week 5 and after we really don't want to be adding or altering many things. Getting a bit late in the tournament to be doing that.

CalamityuP said:
Mad Dawg said:
Additional custom maps should only be as needed.  Plenty of closed and mixed, we only need more open.

I would also re-evaluate River Valley, specifically it's classification of Open.

We would love to throw River Valley in mixed. We need a replacement for it.

However, we've discussed maps and such, week 5 and after we really don't want to be adding or altering many things. Getting a bit late in the tournament to be doing that.
I agree changes now are "late", however a match can hinge on the map pool and the available options.  Maps and their classifications should be playable and accurate.  Haranaer? was chosen by Balion Sunday simply because River Valley is not an open map and therefore not an option.  I personally died twice bouncing up and down trying to walk on glitchy half-sunken props on Haranear which should not really be present in competitive maps. 

The map recommended by me and confirmed by Green Knight should be looked into a substitute for River Valley.  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,278311.msg6740528.html#msg6740528

Suggesting some things to be done to map pool before knockout stage starts...

delete completely:
Random plains - nobody wants the winner to be decided by luck, just in case that happens.
Haranaer - unless i manage to finish it but i doubt it cuz too lazy
River valley - obvious lel
Solace - it's just bad compared to most other maps. One thing that proves it is that (as far as i know) nobody picked it yet.
Dry Valley - It's going to be deleted from EU because of being bad. The flags are too far away from each other on top of a few other problems
Port Assault - It was already deleted in EU for being so unbalanced, and you already deleted Village which at least gives a possibility to outmaneuver your opponent to gain map control, unlike Port Assault

Edit:
Field by the River - Make field by the river mixed, because it's open in EU, that means all cav doesn't destroy everything which means it's not open enough to be open in NA standards. NA open map pool only needs Open Plains as there's no real difference in how these kind of maps play out, imo.

Verloren Update it to it's newest version, the new version makes the middle tower less campable and fixes some other issues. Not that big change, but just fixes some retarded things. and adds a ladder going to the middle tower so you can attack to it from two directions (talking about the top of the tower).

Other
Village You already have all-cav and all-inf maps, why not take in an all-archer map too? Though, only if both Desert Town and Open Plains stay. This would be a map where all-archer is a possibility. Maybe edit it to favour archers even more to balance with Desert Town's and Open Plains' class racism.
Open Plains Possibly delete this map because of what's already been discussed a lot. All cav owns everything = not enough room for other classes = bad map. Only delete if Desert Town is also deleted.
Desert Town Look above. Only delete if Open Plains and all other "NA open" maps are also deleted.

pls

sotamursu123 said:
Suggesting some things to be done to map pool before knockout stage starts...

delete completely:
Dry Valley - It's going to be deleted from EU because of being bad. The flags are too far away from each other on top of a few other problems
Port Assault - It was already deleted in EU for being so unbalanced, and you already deleted Village which at least gives a possibility to outmaneuver your opponent to gain map control, unlike Port Assault

Edit:
Verloren Update it to it's newest version, the new version makes the middle tower less campable and fixes some other issues. Not that big change, but just fixes some retarded things. and adds a ladder going to the middle tower so you can attack to it from two directions (talking about the top of the tower).

pls
fixed it
:!:

sotamursu123 said:
Random plains - nobody wants the winner to be decided by luck, just in case that happens.
It's not luck, it's random herp derp.  Camping till motf on most maps is no different taking the risk of holding a small portion of the map and hoping for the master to be in front of them, except Frosty where ALL 3 master are controlled by the ruins.  It's a risk the choosing team takes and accepts.  This was demonstrated in Balion v KoA where 2 rounds in the first set were lost strictly to master spawns too far away.  However, Balion also didn't position properly and keep their horses up which means they played those rounds poorly.  Your argument holds no validity.

I don't expect players who for 3+ years didn't play Plains to understand Plains.  I do expect so respect shown to the opinions of players who did play it very competitively for 3+ years instead of asinine bias.

No, even with changes.  You should start over.

Yes, or at least change the classification.

Solace - it's just bad compared to most other maps. One thing that proves it is that (as far as i know) nobody picked it yet.
Solace is an awesome competitive map.  It bugs me people don't know a good map when they see it, usually due to personal bias because they died on it in a pub and now the map is bad.  Solace is a balanced and non-linear map providing a proper mix of cover and open ground with no position so strong it cannot be countered and MotF properly spaced.  What else can you ask for?  You don't know what you're talking about.

Agreed.  Dry Valley has more problems than just MotF's.  It's linear.  Provides 2 options which are sitting at looking at each other or venturing into open ground.  Port Assualt is obvious, even with the addition of the alley.  Really if the spawn points were shifted 90 degrees and that stupid open area outside the wall were removed, you'd have something marginally viable.

Field by the River - Make field by the river mixed, because it's open in EU, that means all cav doesn't destroy everything which means it's not open enough to be open in NA standards. NA open map pool only needs Open Plains as there's no real difference in how these kind of maps play out, imo.
No, stop judging this off what EU does.  Open map is open.

No.  Verloren is not bad (not that great either) but even with the change it allows access into the tower...STILL ON THE STRONGEST SIDE.  That means that a tower camp is not countered as the other team will reach the tower first, has immediate access to the ladder first, and the other teams has to flank the whole map to gain either access point.  That doesn't balance the tower, it really just strengthens the already strong spawn for a tower camp.  The real big issue with the map is that a tower camp leads to a front alley camp, which gives the tower the jump on 2 outta 3 masters spawns and not that far from the third.  The market master should be moved to the middle at the base of the tower (which you have to leave the tower to engage with ranged) and the master at the opening to the tunnel moved out of that corner and mirror the master at the other end of the alley.

Open Plains Possibly delete this map because of what's already been discussed a lot. All cav owns everything = not enough room for other classes = bad map. Only delete if Desert Town is also deleted.
Not all "all cav" works on Open plains and once again you're trying to punish teams who have a high level of cav players because of the paradigm you feel teams should fit into.  Your personal opinions are self-serving and rantionalized by what you WANT and not what is best for every team as a whole, therefore rendering it invalid.
Desert Town Look above. Only delete if Open Plains and all other "NA open" maps are also deleted.
Good map, nothing wrong with it.

Dry Valley could be dropped and I wouldn't care.
River Valley is not a good map.

Solace is a good map.
Random Plains is a good map.
Open Plains is a good map.

Is there a mute button I can press so I don't have to read Sota's posts?

Hmm.

IMO,
Delete Haranaer I suppose. Solace and Dry Valley too. I have no idea if they're properly balanced and/or are good for competitive, I just don't like them.

Keep the rest. Even port assault (I like port assault). Keep Random Plains (Though fix flag spawns somehow? Maybe? During a practice match against GA we had 2 favorable master spawns within, oh, 10 feet of each other. It was ridiculous). Keep desert town (see port assault). Keep everything else too. Maybe add village in? Meh.

Back
Top Bottom