1860s - Historical Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Maximilian's death

France had already ordered the complete withdrawal of his army at the latest by early 1867. United States no longer at war and President Johnson ruled in his full support Congress by President Juarez and the Republic.

Announcing Johnson (President of USA) the shipment of about 100 000 men to the border with Mexico to intimidate the invaders of Mexico. Also, the U.S. ambassador. pressured Paris to Napoleon III to withdraw their troops from Mexico. Maximilian gave the Confederates who had lost the war in United States the possibility of settling in Veracruz. This was frowned upon in the government of Washington. :grin:

With respect to military, liberal generals Ramon Corona in front of the Western Army and Gen. Mariano Escobedo came together in a union of paths leading to the city of Queretaro. with a total of 60,000 soldiers.

Maximilian had only 29,000 soldiers.

Maximilian, after reflecting general asks a name you trust Miguel López go as messenger to Gen. Mariano Escobedo and discuss their conditional surrender. The conditions were to be given a safe passage out of Mexico, never to return, to respect the lives and property of the generals, officers and men. General Escobedo to this proposal said it would consult Mr. President and to return in a few days at the same time. Juarez was asked directly by General Mejía, Minister of War, to which he replied: "Unconditional surrender." The gral. Maximiliano emissary returned with the response and before it was removed but the General Escobedo proposed that if he would forgive Maximilian gave life to it stating that and save the lives of many men agreed to betray his emperor.

Around 4.00, the traitor led the Liberals to the convent of the crosses away the men who guarded it. When Maximilian realized liberals and other officers had entered the Convento and arresting officers were still sleeping. Maximilian was able to escape to the Cerro de las Campanas but within hours he was surrounded and had to surrender his sword to Gen. Corona saying, "This sword is the people of Mexico." Maximiliano said if blood had run out of it and returned only to ask for amnesty for his troops and officialdom. Maximiliano said he was not regarded as Emperor of Mexico, but as Archduke of Austria and from that moment was as a prisoner of the Republic. "He reported that the President consult with your request.

On the advice of Juárez Lerdo de Tejada, appointing a military tribunal to try Maximilian and two of his generals Manuel Miramon and Tomas Mejia, who were taken to the theater in the city of Querétaro to be judged. In this trial (which lasted three days), three were condemned to die one day after the trial by a firing squad. All under the crimes of, among others, support the French invaders in addition to treason for Mexicans and usurpation of power to the Austrian. The sentence went around the world, including in Europe where the newspapers were saying that "the Indian quenched his thirst for blood," Juarez drew some American Indian dress with large fangs devouring Maximilian.

The Juarez government received many diplomatic notes and miscellaneous correspondence to pray for the life of Maximilian. The Princess of Salm-Salm, whose husband, the Prince of Salm-Salm was close group of Maximilian and was also arrested, go to Juarez to pray for the emperor's life and her husband. Even kneels before Juárez. This tells you can not do anything against the law (tradition says that the words of Juarez were: "Do not kill the man. Mato's idea"). After all this pressure for the life of Maximilian and the rest of imperialists, Juarez granted three days of delay in the execution of Maximilian, General Miguel Miramon and General Tomás Mejía.

The sentence was completed the morning of June 19, 1867 in the Cerro de las Campanas. The news went around the world.

The emperor met his death with courage. He only spoke Spanish, and gave his executors a portion of its gold not to shoot his head so his mother could see her face. He was shot on the morning of June 19, 1867 on the hill of the bells. His last words were "I forgive everyone and ask everyone to forgive me. My blood which is about to be shed, for good of this country! Viva Mexico! Long live independence! "Despite having taken the money, the perpetrators shot Juaristas to the head.

The two Mexican generals were killed after him shouting "Long live the Emperor".

The tragedy of Maximilian was to assume the crown of Mexico in good faith and filled with the best intentions. He was noble, upright and honest, and genuinely wanted to lead Mexico into an era of peace and prosperity. It was his fate to have been betrayed by the French, the political realities and the machinations of the dictator Benito Juarez, his essentially noble character can never consider cutting their losses to save his own life. He was a Mexican.

One can only speculate what kind of Mexico he would have left if he had succeeded. If Maximilian had ruled instead of Juarez. According to the authors of this paper, a much stronger that could confront the powerful northern neighbor. One thing seems certain, the real tragedy of life of Maximilian's just the end, his treachery and unjust death was mostly a loss for the Mexican People.

Yes, Thanks.  :mrgreen:

The Republicans are the dogs in the U.S.    :lol:

Confederate Brothers Mexico's emperor greets you!  :grin:

baskonia said:
Yes, Thanks.  :mrgreen:

The Republicans are the dogs in the U.S.    :lol:

Confederate Brothers Mexico's emperor greets you!  :grin:

Belgium and your lovely Belgian wife Charlotte greets you.

May we kill the Mexican Rebels and Yankees which caused blood
in the Mexican Empire. Those damn yankee sold weapons to Juarez!

We must kill all the Yankee and Mexican rebels.  :twisted:

Brothers of Belgium, and Confederate and Mexican go together to kill Yankees !!!    :lol:

baskonia said:
We must kill all the Yankee and Mexican rebels.  :twisted:

Brothers of Belgium, and Confederate and Mexican go together to kill Yankees !!!    :lol:

Over 300 Belgians ready to die for the Mexican Empire !

2d173e066041f2a32c329d5ee73cd55b.jpg

Honor and glory to our brothers in Belgium, killed in battle for the glory of the Empire and the freedom of Mexico!  :wink:

baskonia said:
Honor and glory to our brothers in Belgium, killed in battle for the glory of the Empire and the freedom of Mexico!  :wink:

Remember Tacámbaro!!!

300 Belgians (including my ancestor Lieutenant Colonel Van Der Smissen) defended their
position and fought against 3,500 Mexican rebels who came from all possible sides. We've lasted
5 hours of heroic fighting and lost almost 100 men (including 8 officers) and being forced to surrender.

Good we took revenge in the Battle of La Loma de Tacámbaro (Second Battle Of Tacámbaro). Filthy
Mexican rebs  :twisted: . I bet for 10 Belgian Franc that Lt.Col Van Der Smissen would have said: "**** you Mexicans"
or "mess with the best Belgian Foreign Legion ,die like the rest"  :grin:

Radetzky said:
And even some new Belgians  :smile:
http://belgieroyalist.blogspot.com/2011/08/remembering-volunteers-to-mexico.html

I heard someone typed the word Belgian???? :razz:

Anyways,nice stuff,only they have to cut out the womens,kids and the sombrero's,pretty unhistorical correct :wink:

And Baskonia,I found this picture under a saddle of one of our Officers,I tought you mind having it back,

carlota_hdsht_col.jpg

I found the Mexican article actually rather interesting, I knew Maximilian wasn't a particularly cruel ruler but I'd never known quite how liberal he was.

Although that wasn't the problem I think the bigger issue was the fact that he had no business in Mexico, he wasn't Mexican and he was essentially propping up a government enforced by the French. If the plebiscite proclaiming the Empire hadn't been done at French gunpoint, it might have been different, but he was doomed from the start, it was like imposing European control on Mexico all over again.

I'm not a particular fan of Juaraz, he was rather bloodthirsty, but he also tried to do some good things. I think the problem is, while Maximilian may have had the best of intentions, would his son? Would his Son's children? Monarchy is a very hit and miss type of government, if you have a good man in charge it works perfectly, get somebody whose incompetent or cruel and the entire thing falls apart. ((We will ignore the fact I live in a country that still has a Queen *laughs*))

Maximilian was supported by the French and Mexican conservatives and the Catholic Church.

what was the problem? 

1- Maximilian was liberal and did not return church lands, which had been expropriated by the Mexican liberals.

2- Maximilian wanted to make reforms in Mexico. And the Mexican conservatives withdrew their support as well.

3- The French Emperor demanded a lot of money by the presence of French troops in Mexico. Maximilian could not pay all the money to the French. And Napoleon had many problems in Europe, so they had to withdraw its troops.

4- The U.S. did not want that Mexico was a modern country. They sent one hundred thousand soldiers to the border to intimidate Napoleon. The U.S. supported Juarez, because they want to dominate Mexico. And to dominate South America.

That is the question  :mrgreen:

Radetzky said:
Some informations and questions I collected:

Maybe this could be used in form of some bandits or so?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_draft_riots

I never knew there were many Roman Catholics in America in 1860's?
American_Civil_War_Chaplain.JPG

And well as Smissen suggested, some source for Russian Alaska (and russian Fort Ross in California)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ross
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka,_Alaska

Uniforms:
Alexander_II_1860_by_Sergei_Lvovich_Levitsky.jpg

495px-Tsar_Alexander_II_-4.jpg

index.php
There were probably just very very few soldiers (border service) though.

Irish brigade, my friend!

Thx very much, as usual  :cool:
May I pls ask to focus more on documented COLORED pics or famous painting of the period (George Catling did some great documented ones, around 1840s)
Asking this just because is easier for us to "copy" outfits and stuff, is the image is colored, see?  :wink:
Thx
Gabby

Radetzky said:

They were present. There were anti-Catholic riots in the 1830's/40's in eastern cities. The Irish began arriving in substantial numbers in the 1840's and Italians, Poles etc would also start arriving in great numbers from the 1860's onwards.

Auldman said:
Radetzky said:

They were present. There were anti-Catholic riots in the 1830's/40's in eastern cities. The Irish began arriving in substantial numbers in the 1840's and Italians, Poles etc would also start arriving in great numbers from the 1860's onwards.

And Belgians (they are catholics as well) :roll:

Smissen said:
Auldman said:
Radetzky said:

And Belgians (they are catholics as well) :roll:

Very aware of that. Also aware that Belgians were not immigrating to America in major numbers in 1860's.  :roll: (See I can roll my eyes too) I haven't met too many Belgian-Americans of late (In fact-never). However there are plenty of Irish, Poles, Italians, Spanish, Latin American,German Catholics.

Some scans I made of Warriors who took part in the Battle of Little Big Horn and Army Indian Scouts.

Warriors at Little Big Horn
scan0022.png

scan0024.png

scan0023.png

scan0021.png

scan0020i.png

scan0019k.png

scan0018g.png

scan0017.png

Army Scouts
scan0010r.png

scan0015i.png

scan0014j.png

scan0013.png

scan0012.png

scan0011y.png

scan0010r.png

scan0009.png

Photo of Bloody Knife - Custer's Favorite Scout
56485174.png

46578506.png

81771406.png

Tomahawk_N_Rifle said:
Some scans I made of Warriors who took part in the Battle of Little Big Horn and Army Indian Scouts.

Warriors at Little Big Horn
scan0022.png

scan0024.png

scan0023.png

scan0021.png

scan0020i.png

scan0019k.png

scan0018g.png

scan0017.png

Army Scouts
scan0010r.png

scan0015i.png

scan0014j.png

scan0013.png

scan0012.png

scan0011y.png

scan0010r.png

scan0009.png

Photo of Bloody Knife - Custer's Favorite Scout
55384263.png

46578506.png

81771406.png

Great stuff! Question-were they using headresses in battle then? I seem to recall reading somewhere that that was mostly ceremonial and then later a facet of Buffalo Bill's shows (then Hollywood) rather than something they actually wore to fight. But I am not certain for sure so do you have any info about this?

Interesting that you ask I am really not to sure about that...  I too have heard somewhere that they were only used during ceremonies and special occasions.

Found out why i love to play as CSA so much,its in my DNA  :twisted:

During the American Civil War, many Croatians served as individuals and in organized Croatian companies. They fought for the South.

Their service was not unusual or accidental, as they were a part of the South in numbers since the 1760's. They were in Alabama,  Mississippi, and Louisiana. A Dalmatian, Juan Matulich, was selling guns and whiskey to the Indians in the 1760's; another, Marco Givanovich, owned a pre-Civil War plantation worth over $400,000.

Croatian Confederate Companies

The Confederate organizations of Croatian origin known to the writer were:

Louisiana Militia Volunteers

Slavonian Rifles  1st Co. E. Cazadores Esp.

Slavonian Rifles  2nd Co. Cazadores Esp.

Slavonian Rifles Co. Inf. Battalion Louisiana Legion.

Austrian Guards  4th Regiment European Brigade

Cognovich's Company    4th Regiment European Brigade

On the listed Croatians in the CSA service, 3 were captains:

Cognevich, Antonio(Cognovich's Company), Fabio, S. G. (Slavonian Rifles) and Pignolo, John B. (Slavonian Rifles)

http://www.croatians.com/1aCROATIAN%20CONFEDERATE%20SOLDIERS%20LIST.htm

Croatia as it is today  didnt exist at that time as a nation/kingdom,but Croatians usually had a strong sense of "nationality"(or how should i call it,were proud of being Croats, )

When Croatians migrated they left as nationals or citizens of Austria, Italy-Venice, Hungary or Turkey. Ethnically they were always Croatians, but in immigration Croatians were identified by America, Canada, South America, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia as above or in recent times as Yugoslavs and were recorded as such.

http://www.croatians.com/croatia_and_croatians.htm

This was used as a source in Croatian ,in a military oriented magazine ,but other then that i dont know the reliability of this, by how it looks i would say its some book or something by a  "Adam S. Eterovich" (american with Croatian roots)

Back
Top Bottom