1860s - Historical Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

You gotta' love hard tack.  :wink:

hardtack.jpg

Also, presenting the overcoat!

coat_foot.jpg

Lastly, Would love to see this in the mod, but then again it would make the mod too easy. :razz:

civilwargatlingguns.jpg

An important comment I posted on 1866 thread, about guns and holsters of the 60s:

I love Old west as well and I used to write even articles on an italin famous site
http://www.farwest.it/

But pls consider the huge difference between the period BEFORE, during... and AFTER the American Civil War.  :wink:

It was a "crescendo" of violence and number of people that got VERY skilled with firearms and any way to kill another person. ACW was the conflict that made the biggest number of capable Firearms Fighters in history.....more than WW2 and Vietnam or whatever other war....due mostly to the open and wild frontier that protected most of those who would choose to still use the violence in their lives.

Old West, as they said, was much more CALM and annoying...but even extremely more VIOLENT, than any movie can ever describe....

All this, though, cannot always be shown in an historical way, due to the game structure limits...and, as you guys said, also to allow ppl have more fun.  :razz:

The last thing that I want to point out is that during and after the CW, a HUGE quantity of any kind of firearms was around and used, more often robbed than bought, but not so often was last models, that s for sure.
And in 1860s (1860-69) revolvers had almost all still Capslocks mechanisms and not metallic ammos.
The thousands of Partisans had many loaded guns on them (like Clint has in my Signature  :twisted: ) cuz the missfire were still frequent and the medium time to reload them was like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5vOndeFwM
.....I myself did not know about the fat at the end of the shooting chambers....
Jeees....would all that take for ever....:shock:

And therefore, umidity, rain, cold etc etc made ppl use often FLAP holsters, still....like in the army.
Eventually they d cut part or the whole flap ....and have a faster drawing, then.....but most NORMAL ppl would care more to keep the gun protected and safe in an uncomfortable holster, than having it in a fast drawing position....but always at risk of ...loosing it when jumping or galopping... :razz:
I made myself a "Partisan" quick draw holster, in the old way they used to do:
get a thick skin, wet it in hot water and then put it around your revolver (I have a perfect NOT shooting colt Navy 1851), nail it on a wooden table, let it dry. Cut the part that exceeds and fix the holster on the belt (before the 70s almost NOBODY had belts with ammos like you see in movies, they just were plain thick belts)
Most of ppl had a Cross drawing at that time....or reverse Cavalry drawing....very few found safe the right side drawing.
The Slim Jim kind was the most used, in the 60s
http://www.farwest.it/?p=1754

See how good 1866 devs made it?  :cool:
But is on the side of the fighter....
still, I cannot move it well enough in my 1860s Mod, in a more historical position...but I will make it, promised!  :wink:

....and almost all ppl had the chamber of explosion empty where the hammer was, when in the holster....cuz happened frequently that hitting it by accident, would make the hammer to ...shoot your foot.
So basically, if you had a 6 shooter....you d load only 5 chambers in the revolver.  :cool:

About the game, Jaddakus, guns' are so deadly in the hands of anyone cuz there is a hidden value when modding gun skills, that sometimes is not balanced.
Is the SHOT SPEED and rapresents the RANGE the weapon can reach, before the ammo starts to fall and be less precise.
So even if you set Accuracy to 100, but SHOT SPEED to 50, lets say, you will not get a target far more than 70/80 meters.
Or if your enemy has guns with low accuracy, but shot speed is set up to 120 (like some in 1866) they will nail you from the end of the battlefield, at start of mission!!  :twisted:
I find the best setting is High Values for all weapons (I will make most all over 80, not shotguns and so, though) but very different shot speeds for every weapon
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,210480.msg5020778.html#msg5020778
HappyCompy said:
If I may add to that, Jackx, it seems as though the muskets' have a very limited range as well. They feel more like crossbows (which isn't all that surprising, considering that's what they're based on) as the bullet drops off very quickly. You have to arch the musket at moderate to long ranges. I think a boost in projectile speed would fix the issue, is that something that can be done with Morgh's editing tools?
It is the "Shot speed value", which was actually meant low, since otherwise troops shoot from one side of battlefield to another.... :twisted:
Shot speed for:
Knives should stay below 25
axes    should stay below 30
bows  should stay below 40
flintlock pistols                50
flintlock muskets            60
rifled    muskets            70/80
Revolvers                      70
Rifles                            80/90
Best rifles (Sharps, etc)  100

Ok, my fingers are sore....but I loved to come out of my Modding torture, for a while... :mrgreen:

Gabby

can we put a navy for the north and south and possibly for mexico?

Mexican Navy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Navy

Found some very nice pics of USA and CSA uniforms. Will post USA infantry uniforms first and if you like them or need them Gabby just drop a line and I will post others as well. I have cavalry, artillery and militia uniforms for both sides.

wV0pP.jpg

Brigadier Generals (service dress)

ZKdW2.jpg

Drum Major in full dress.
Private 42nd Pennsylvania Volunteers.
1st Sergeant (campaign dress)

BG9uq.jpg

Officer (campaign dress)
Sergeant 2nd Infantry (full dress)
Private in full dress.

3daqN.jpg

Private 22nd New York Militia.
Infantry private in greatcoat.
Infantry Officer (service dress)

O-fgX.jpg

Infantry Corporal with National flag.
Musician (full dress)
Infantry private (full dress)

zBLTO.jpg

Private 20th Maine
Corporal Iron Brigade (1st uniform)
Private Iron Brigade (service)

kEDyi.jpg

Private 21st Michigan (service)
Private Iron Brigade.
Private 8th Wisconsin (service)

bDwR-.jpg

Sergeant 1st Heavy Artillery (Corps d'Afrique)
1st Sergeant 56th US Coloured Infantry.
Private US Coloured infantry.

GABRILDURO said:
Thx Trebby.
Get in touch with Marecone and BB09red, ....they are helping me as they can, and doing a great job....but we all need help...ALWAYS!  :twisted:
Gab
Trebor said:
anything else needed to be researched?
Yes, I need a deep research on the centers to assign to France, that now are just "thrown" by me in central/south Mexicoas.
As soon as I will send u Testers the 0.95 last update, I will need Baskonia, Jur and u to help me (Marecone and BB09red) on that side, as most urgent issue.
We will set the timeline around 1863, but NOT any later than that.
Thx
Gab

hey gabby

it turns out you might have the centers in the right place.

the french controlled or took Veracruz, Puebla, and Mexico city.

so i would bet if you have the french in the sounthern half of mexico. then i would say
you already got the centers in the right place.

1862, the Henry rifle

Original%2B1860%2BHenry%2BRifle.jpg

During the Civil War, the most popular weapon to have was a Henry rifle, and most soldiers in the Union Army had them. Designed by Benjamin Tyler Henry, the Henry rifle was a .44 caliber rim fire, breech loading, lever action rifle that fired sixteen shots. Its ability to rapid fire at close range gave its owner a definite advantage in the Civil War. Pictured (left) is an authentic Civil War 1860 Henry Rifle.

http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/winchesterand-history-of-lever-action.html

GABRILDURO said:
GABRILDURO said:
Thx Trebby.
Get in touch with Marecone and BB09red, ....they are helping me as they can, and doing a great job....but we all need help...ALWAYS!  :twisted:
Gab
Trebor said:
anything else needed to be researched?
Yes, I need a deep research on the centers to assign to France, that now are just "thrown" by me in central/south Mexicoas.
As soon as I will send u Testers the 0.95 last update, I will need Baskonia, Jur and u to help me (Marecone and BB09red) on that side, as most urgent issue.
We will set the timeline around 1863, but NOT any later than that.
Thx
Gab
I have a TON of info on the Canadian side of things if you need it Gab.

baskonia said:
1862, the Henry rifle

Original%2B1860%2BHenry%2BRifle.jpg

During the Civil War, the most popular weapon to have was a Henry rifle, and most soldiers in the Union Army had them. Designed by Benjamin Tyler Henry, the Henry rifle was a .44 caliber rim fire, breech loading, lever action rifle that fired sixteen shots. Its ability to rapid fire at close range gave its owner a definite advantage in the Civil War. Pictured (left) is an authentic Civil War 1860 Henry Rifle.

http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/winchesterand-history-of-lever-action.html

Thanks, we'll put that information in Weapons compendium.
Hope that Admiral see this too.

You are wrong about the Henry Rifle.

The Spencer rifle was not only better, it was far more popular, alot easier to obtain and instead of only selling about less then 1000 between its development and developments end several years alater.. (before 1864 I believe) the Spencer had over 200,000 manufactured, put into service and later sore service in wars in Europe.

It should also be noticed the Spencers amunition used a different grade of black powder, it had a bigger round ((also used copper shell casing)), had a higher projectile and velocity, making it better over range.

Yes soldiers did purchase Henry Rifles for them selves but they cost alot and in the end the Spencer was as good, although the spencer fired a little slower but not by much. 20 rounds per minute vs 26? Or some such.

I don't know where you got the idea the Henry was a great rifle from because it was quickly outdone. Spencer's manufacturer was also sold too the Winchester company in 86.

For full details visit wikipedia.

Captured Joe said:
Found this pic by accident:
link

Mexican troops.

....I deleted it by mistake....sorry JOE!!  :oops:

Gab
PS...I made a newTopic using ur posts and Baskonias, and is about links for OSP Mod or Resources that can be used for some missing stuff of 1860s.
I will be checking it and see if I can dwld and add smth that is missing atm.

Pls consider that is mostly needed for Mexican Uniforms, expecially French Regulars and Mexican Gurrillas.

Back
Top Bottom