Your style.

Users who are viewing this thread

mesor

Sergeant at Arms
I was reading some of the guides and wondered what other peoples little personal must do's are in the game.

My only major one is without fail every companion i have no matter what hes skill set will have a bow and arrow and will learn to use it well whether he likes it or not.
I always tend to form a band of 25 spy ( costs a hell of a lot ) but with some good micromanagement and with a good force of spear wielding infantry they provide a devastating secondary line in shield wall mode.
All armies have some light infantry or berserker and missile units of there own and 25 spy's will tear any missile units short of the welsh elite bowmen to pieces and can even fight them man to man most of the time so there great for thinning out enemy ranks before they reach your own lines.
My front line is always a mix of heavy sword/axe wielding infantry and a good force of skirmishers.
Nothing blunts an enemy charge quite like a close range volley of spears hitting them in the chest right as they lower there shields to charge in.
Then pick a hill put them half way down and the shieldwall at the top and ive riped armies of 200 to shreds with 50 men.
Especially because from that points higher teir archers will tend to put arrows just over the top of a shield into the head or into the man behind who's less likely to have there shield up.

The bows come into there own here on my companions.

I wait until they hit my first line then move to the flank and open up from about 30ft.
Shield or no shield an arrow punching into the side of your chest is going to wound if not kill and with 10 companions with the best bows and arrows with high bow skills its like watching some1 swing a giant scythe into the side of the enemy mass.
My companions fire 5 shots each and that entire flank collapses then charge in and its just swords's and boards until the wave breaks and sit back and repeat on the next.

My other little tactic is i always seek out enemy leaders and pull them away from the army and then lure them into chasing me away straight into a timed volley from my companions.
Ive never faced a lord who survived 4-6 arrows punching into hes chest at once so far in this mod either 6 months ago or now and they tend to do quite a bit of damage if you leave them to there own devices and i greatly enjoy the dishonor that comes with mowing down a king or lord with arrows.

My style?

I just enroll every single bastard I stumble upon, no matter his culture.
Of course he has to know how to use properly his weapons, so my troops range over Med-Inf and Heav-Inf. No Elite-Inf 'cause upgrade costs a lot and they easily die like other riffraff, so they are not convenient.

No bowmen: they are not usefull for my game style.

Few horsemen as I need them just to chase routed enemies and crush'em.

1-2 cleric to wash mine & and my mates' souls.

1 Companion wields personal banner and if I'm lucky enough to find an horn among the loot 1 companion wields an horn.

89 fighters overall as we often travel by ship.  :twisted:

1. Massive heavy, med and light infantry sheildwall.

2. At least 15 horseman in a single battle that will put on the far flank

Sheildwall we bash the enemy while the horseman attack from flank. Usually have 0 - 3 casualties vs a few hundred enemy casualties this way.

I used to have 'My Wife' and just put my infantry in a tight formation have them attack walk around the back and chop away. Really effective slaughter but not as effective with stamina :neutral: On my current character I freelance for some irish king to get decent coin and equipment and later I am going to buy a ship and take the isle of man for my island kingdom. Anyone has tips for ship morale? It drops really fast :neutral:

Land often or have companions with decent entertain value.

Also more general stuff like, troops from one faction, definitely from one religion. Plenty of food variety, rest, party size way smaller than your max allowed (applies even to ships early on).

:neutral: Troops should get used to it after a while.

Btw, I can't remember if the crew is in battle or just needed to sail it? because the crew won't be affected by morale if my memory serves right

Back
Top Bottom