Yet another appeal for DualWielding

Users who are viewing this thread

pampl said:
The kick button should make you do a flying splits kick which knocks down anyone on either side of you.  Also, when you're riding a horse and you jump you should be able to do a barrel roll if you're going fast enough.

Made me snort in laughter. While we're completely off the topic but still debating realism... Ever gone horse surfing over a large group of your troops?  :mrgreen:

deathknight1728 said:
If people dont want dual wielding thats fine.

I congratulate you on your perspicacity!

deathknight1728 said:
But as it stands, this is one forum where i will not be posting any more ideas for

Good. I was running low on promethium.

deathknight1728 said:
due to the ridiculous responses.

Telling you fairly politely that it's a stupid idea is ridiculous? Really?

deathknight1728 said:
I am getting attacked by nerdy, limp-dicked intellectuals who have nothing better to do than sit in their parents basement, jerkoff, and try and inflate their own worthless lives by insulting someone on a forum.

First page, no attacks. Second page, still no insults prior to your ragepost. Hmm. What hallucinogenic drugs are you on?

deathknight1728 said:
Seriously guys, just get a rope and do what u were meant to do.

Bugger you with it? I don't know, hemp seems to be a fairly unsuitable material for that purpose though.

deathknight1728 said:
If you have an opinion and or reason that i am wrong thats fine. I will admit i am wrong because i can, unlike all of you.

Or maybe the rest of us don't need to. Because we, y'know, weren't wrong? :roll:

deathknight1728 said:
Maybe dual-wielding isnt meant for this game.

I take back my comment about perspicacity.

deathknight1728 said:
But if you are going to go after me and attack me instead of the idea than why dont you look in the mirror instead of making these forums suck as much they do due to intellectual pedantic scum.

Funnily enough, it's this group that you term 'intellectual pedantic scum' that participates in proper discussion. If you feel a little out of your league, might I suggest that you visit the Twilight forums? They may cater to your preferences better.

Swadius said:
I really think there should be a school or academy where everyone gets some training on what to do when people disagree with their points.
Bah, in the good old days we would invade their countries, rape their cattle, pour salt into their fields, burn down their buildings and then make them say they were sorry. Twice. These days it's all posting "funny" pictures, silly acronyms and demanding sources for your claims. And they call it "progress". Damn intarweb.

Kettle Black said:
Swadius said:
I really think there should be a school or academy where everyone gets some training on what to do when people disagree with their points.
Bah, in the good old days we would invade their countries, rape their cattle, pour salt into their fields, burn down their buildings and then make them say they were sorry. Twice. These days it's all posting "funny" pictures, silly acronyms and demanding sources for your claims. And they call it "progress". Damn intarweb.

What...

Puerkl8r said:
Kettle Black said:
Swadius said:

What...

Don't judge.

El-Diablito said:
Ok so we've established that: Dual wielding is stupid, ineffective and really only for twirps who want to look fancy dying.

On the upside, we've also established that there is historical presedence for being an idiot in a fancy outfit.

I conclusion: Dual wielding is a completely retarded go away and watch some anime.
I. ****ing. Love. You.

Yeah, yeah, whatever.
But just imagine a nord wielding a couple polearm long axes, spinning them while running towards you and yelling something about your mom...

And now, a kind of related video that I always enjoyed. A brutal clash of historical fencing styles.
The slow paced and methodical spaniard "Destreza" (somewhat) vs the energetic and quick italian (probably) one (and yes, he's dual wielding): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dg39NOiC5k

Backsword isn't Italian. :razz:

Note how rarely the dagger comes into play in a fashion that's useful.

If you want Italian VS Spanish a rapier duel, you should look at this.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you think that exchange is in any way reminiscent of a fight in the 13th century between mailed knights, you need to have your head checked. :razz:

kenoxite said:
And now, a kind of related video that I always enjoyed. A brutal clash of historical fencing styles.
The slow paced and methodical spaniard "Destreza" (somewhat) vs the energetic and quick italian (probably) one (and yes, he's dual wielding): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dg39NOiC5k

People in the SCA do this sort of thing all the time (at least every weekend at a minimum, you can see people doing it).
Dual wielding is handy for fencing (though I preferred a buckler when I used to do such things), it just doesnt work in a big fight.
BTW, that dagger gets used mainly for blocking.

No offense, but fencing is for sticking toads. I accept it is deadly in terms of speed and lethality whenever a hit connects. However, you must accept surely that most of the time, battles aren't exactly at the fencing length, ie; In your face and very personal. Besides, we aren't fencing in MnB, we're cutting, chopping, the closest is a thrust and the technique is highly different; a fencing thrust should be quick so as to withdraw quickly, whereas a typical thrust is a stomp forward(You'd snap the fencing blade if you hit something hard that way).

About the dagger being used for blocking; I don't see a current combination of sword+dagger more effective than sword+shield. If you argue you need a small thing for blocking, use a buckler.

Nono, I'm just pointing out: fencing is what was in the video.
You wouldn't ever bring a fencing blade to a sword fight, cause it would get broken in half. Fencing is for street fighting
and duels, where you fight one or two or three opponents, and speed and agility and reach are what matters, over a fight that lasts maybe two or three minutes at the longest, and where you fight in street clothing, not armor.

Also, if you are thinking of the "stomp forward" fencing in white suits, you are thinking of a different variety. You are thinking of the olympic sport, which is very different from what the SCA does (which is like what goes on in the video). You have floppy sleeves, to protect the wrists and tangle blades, you have a foil or an epee (we didnt use sabres because they were too dangerous), and you can thrust or cut, and damage can be done to any part of the body, not just the torso (only the torso is Olympic style fencing).

I think that the real advantage of a sword and dagger is to use the dagger to trap and break the opponents blade. You can't do that in the SCA, it's too dangerous, but historically I think that's how it would be best used.

Ah. So it wasn't an attempt at explaining how DW would work in MnB. Anyways, if anybody has counter arguments, voice 'em, but if you don't have a good source, then I'll just haz a cheezburger and not listen.

Night Ninja said:
Backsword isn't Italian. :razz:
Well, the style seemed to be. That was the reason of my "probably".

If you want Italian VS Spanish a rapier duel, you should look at this.
Thanks for the link. Finding videos with those two styles are hard to come by, that or my searching voodoo isn't good enough.

Also, take note that the two guys in the video I linked were just practicing, almost slacking. So the duel was slow paced enough to appreciate the stances and moves. That I like. The guys in your video are lightning fast, which is damn impressive, no doubt about it.

Indra said:
Dual wielding is handy for fencing (though I preferred a buckler when I used to do such things), it just doesnt work in a big fight.
BTW, that dagger gets used mainly for blocking.
Indeed. The off weapon isn't used offensively.
But we'll have to agree that this style is quite spectacular to watch. The stances are very dynamic.

Night Ninja said:
EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you think that exchange is in any way reminiscent of a fight in the 13th century between mailed knights, you need to have your head checked. :razz:
Wait, wot? But... but...

It was a way to "end" the thread, sharing some dual wielding footage for those who might be interested. My intention wasn't to revive the whole thread or imply that it was a realistic option for M&B.

I failed, obviously.

Aw, you have my condolences. What about we end the thread this way: Unless you can PROVE that someone dualwielded before and had success with something bigger than a dagger, please don't post, and if you do, don't post here, post in the mile-long thread in the discussion area of reality.

Night Ninja said:
be.com/watch?v=K6919fC6Nck]this[/url].

No no, maybe 16th century fighting in a street or dining room, between strangers or rivals, fought with the weapons they had on-hand and wore to dinner. Which btw, is another reason why historically the dagger might be used over the buckler: because a dagger is easier and less conspicuous to carry.

Indra said:
I think that the real advantage of a sword and dagger is to use the dagger to trap and break the opponents blade. You can't do that in the SCA, it's too dangerous, but historically I think that's how it would be best used.

Trapping, very likely. Tying up your opponent's weapon for a second or two is pretty much a win unless you're utterly incompetent. Breaking, **** no. Oh, and the SCA isn't the best source of information on historical swordsmanship. From what I've seen, most of them seem to be more interested in cosplay than fencing. :???:

kenoxite said:
It was a way to "end" the thread, sharing some dual wielding footage for those who might be interested. My intention wasn't to revive the whole thread or imply that it was a realistic option for M&B.

That last comment wasn't supposed to be directed at you. :razz:

I suspect this entire business of dagger and rapier dual wielding began when some twirp realized that he didn't carry a bucler around town with him, but he did keep a dagger for eating.

So rather than drawing his rapier to look cool (people really did mostly wear them to look cool, and duelled for the same retarded people american teenagers in 60s movies play "chicken" with cars), he decided he'd look even cooler with the dagger in the other hand, and figured, it couldn't harm.

Remember, people in history were...people, just as given to "hey that must be real cool!" idiocy as we are today, of course...they quite soon got a reality check (straight through the throat), so it rarely caught on.

But with Rapier and Dagger style fighting, it's possible for the very simple reason that it 1. Looks cool (very much the objective of young men wearing rapiers in the first place) and carrying a shield about town with you was generally frowned up on by the town guards, while a dagger or knife was worn by EVERYONE back then all the time, and so it was simply a ready item slightly better than your bare hand.

Remember, Rapier and Dagger fighting was *never* a tactic for war, it was something done by wealthy civillians who'd parade around town wearing a rapier and dagger as a fashion statement, starting fights over whores and honour (what say ye? My hat is not thee latest fashion? Forsooth, I challenge thee to a duel punkarseth!).

Modern man does not have a monopoly on utter ****ing stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom