SP Musket Era XVII - well ****

Users who are viewing this thread

I think they'd be able to block side to side easily but up and forward... no way. i was thinking of giving them a sword as well as their pike, but they'd never switch to it, or some of them will end up with only sword and without pikes, so i guess the pikemen will have their pikes at all times.

EDIT: is it possible to have the pike and the sword BOTH guaranteed for the troops? i could make their sword a blunt weapon and order them to switch to blunt weapons when they're in trouble.

the transition looks very realistic - they lower it from its raised position - looks pretty authentic, and i kept the underhanded polearm thrust

this pike army can take native's vaegirs and nords easily - with few casualties! they hold their own against infantry pretty well, and since there wasn't any "heavy infantry" in the late 17th century, I think they are alright as they are.

heres another question of mine, would you be able to thrust with a bardiche axe? it has this sharp point at the end that you'd be able to stab with if you follow through correctly - but would it be accurate? i'm talking about this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Bardiche.jpg

i dont see why you couldnt thrust with a bardiche. it wouldnt be as good as smashing it right down on someones helmet though  :wink:

I bring you names for potential fortresses/castles for Sweden:

Stegeborg
Bohus fästning
Nya Älvsborg (or Nya Elfsborg. Nya = new)
Landskrona slott, Citadellet
Kastellet or Vaxholms Kastell
Gripsholm slott

Fästning/borg = fortress (kinda)
Slott = castle
Kastell = citadel

I gave you the names, now you go and get the facts ;P I searched for this in only about 30 minutes and I gotta sleep now, getting up early tomorrow. Atleast all those castles/forts were in use around 1680 (I hope/think) Good night. :smile:

mb27.jpg

mb29.jpg

made a *decent* strelets uni
still unfinished I think. some minor details to add

cool_guy said:
made a *decent* strelet uni
still unfinished I think. some minor details to add

I like. Keep up the good work! I must say that this is one of the MODs I am eagerly anticipating.

Possible Names: (I hope this what you are referring to)

1 XVII: Internal Conflict                (Kinda cheesy/Typical)
2 Might & Musket                    (Hope that's not a copyright...Might of heard it before)
3  The Sacred War or "Священная война" or "Svyaschennaya voina" (All the same,diffrent spelling)
4  La guerra sagrada (Same meaning,except in Spanish if you wanted to give it a "Spaniard" feel)
5  Conquistare l'Europa            (Italian: Conquer Europe)

I'd use english stuff...But it just doesn't SOUND as cool.  :mrgreen:

Are you going to make Finnish hakkapelitas? Thy were used as Swedish cavalry on 17th century.
They had 2 pistols and a sword. Also Finnish castles should be included.
Great work on costumes. :wink:

Please, provide some names of finnish castles/fortresses :smile: It will be pretty empty there in Finland without them.

Those fins could be cool. Maybe you recruit them in finland as a completly other race, but belongs to Sweden anyways? Like in native, if you conquer another empire, it will belong to your faction now, but you can still recruit the same race of people. Ah, nevermind. :razz:

I've been researching a little (nothing I'm good at though) and found cavalry for the swedes:

Kyrassiär - Big dude with a chestplate armor, maybe a helmet, pistol, sabre/rapier and a big horse to carry all this (we have big horses called "Nordsvenska hästar" which means "north swedish horses.") Here's the horse:
Kopia%20av%20IMG_1731.JPG-for-web-large.jpg
555.bmp

Kongl. Maij:tz Drabante Garde or just Kunglig Majestäts Drabanter (The Drabants of the Royal Highness) - kind of like bodyguards of vassals and the king.
Svenska_drabanter%2C_Nordisk_familjebok.png
The dude on the horse is the drabant of this era (if wiki doesn't lie this time), the other ones are from other eras.

These are like the last and best upgrades for the cavalry unit :smile:

And of course the Dragon is there somewhere, but it's just weak mounted infantry. :razz:

On 17th century, Finland had major castle/towns named Hämeenlinna, Oulu, Turku, Savonlinna and Helsinki. Castles were Kajaanin linna and Kastelholma.
Towns were originally castles, but towns builded around them. I'm not sure that should you do all towns to towns, because some smaller towns could be castles.
And I love the idea of two troop trees. :grin:

This sounds like a really great mod. Do you still need help with research, because I would be willing to do that and post what I find here.

Found a nice map of Finland (it's an airport map)
finland.jpg

The names in swedish:
Savonlinna = Nyslott (was a castle at first. Nyslott means newcastle in english, not to be confused with Newcastle in England.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savonlinna
Helsinki = Helsingfors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki
Turku = Åbo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku
Oulu = Uleåborg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oulu
Hämeenlinna = Tavastehus (which was a castle; Tavastehus slott, then they built houses around it.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A4meenlinna

And also the castles:
Kastelholma = Kastelholm or Kastelholms slott
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastelholm_Castle
Kastelholms_slott_vid_slutet_av_1600-talet_%28ur_Svenska_Familj-Journalen%29.png
Kajaani linna = Kajaneborg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kajaani_Castle
image002.gif

I know many people don't trust wiki information, but it's always a start to begin there so you know what it's about and then research elsewhere. :wink:

Holy Roman Empire
Ruler: Leopold I, (1658-1705)
  -power was limited by the Reichstag (legislative body)
-I'm not sure why the "Spanish Netherlands" (Belgium) is part of the HRE, I thought Spain    controlled that.
-The Netherlands is seperate
-The HRE does not contol the area to the southeast on your map

Italy
http://history.wisc.edu/sommerville/351/italian%20states.htm

(above link has city states information, if it doesn't work as a link, just copy/paste it to your adres bar)

-Italy was Divided into many city states, many of whom were dependant on Spain.
-No centralized Government of any sort
-Each city state had its own capital, the largest of which was the city Naples

Switzerland
Known as the "Old Swiss Confederacy", Switzerland consisted of 13 "Cantons" which could be considered provinces, 28 "Associates" or close allies, and around 50 "Condominiums" which were similiar to terrotories, which were governed by the Cantons.
Instead of a King, the Old swiss confederacy had a kind of a federal Diet called the Tagsatzung. Each Canton would send 2 representatives to the Tagsatzung. I am unclear as to whether there was a type of executive ruler figure in this government. I do know that by the late 1600's, the government was beginning to become more centralized, because none of the Cantons, Associates, or Condominiums were allowed to leave the Confederacy.
Switzerland was nuetral in every major conflict in Europe around this time. However, after the Reformation, they experienced many internal problems, though know major ones in the late 1600's.

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth

(above link has credible information on their government, military, and other important facts)

Kings:
-Michael I (1669-1673)
-John III (1674-1696)
You could Start the game with Michael I as King and John III as Claiment
Capital: Warsaw
Military Campaigns:
In 1610, they attacked Russia and managed to take Moscow. They were later expelled from Moscow, and the rest of the lands that they had conquered. By the 1660's, they are not at war, but are not allies either.
In 1655, Sweden invaded. I am unclear on whether they are still at war but it is safe to say that they are not allies
They allied with the HRE to make war with the Ottoman Empire in the 1680's. Their campaign was long but successful.

Kingdom of Denmark-Norway
Ruler: King Frederick III
Capital: Copenhagen
Dominantly Lutheran (Protestant)
Has fought a series of wars against its enemy of Sweden.

Kingdom of Sweden
Ruler: King Charles XI
Military use superior tactics for victory
Troop types:
  -Cavalry; armed with 2 pistols and a saber
-Favourite Tactic; ride in tight formation until 10 yards away from enemy, fire both pistols,  than do a saber charge.
  -Infantry; divided into musketmen and pikemen
-Musketmen were used more as defensive units and support for the cavalry. they were also equiped with melee weapons (the bayonet was used until about the 1690's.
-Pikemen; Used more offensively for charges, usually backed up by musketmen, they had advantage over other infantry in close quarters fighting because of the length of their pikes

I hope that some of this information is helpful (i tried to provide information on the countries you said you needed research done, but sorry if there is unnecessary stuff)

Deyshawn said:
Holy Roman Empire
Ruler: Leopold I, (1658-1705)
  -power was limited by the Reichstag (legislative body)
-I'm not sure why the "Spanish Netherlands" (Belgium) is part of the HRE, I thought Spain    controlled that.
-The Netherlands is seperate
-The HRE does not contol the area to the southeast on your map

its a very rough map :razz: the only explanation i can think of
it'll undergo a lot of fine tuning as i get to that area

thanks for the general info on the factions, should prove to be useful

I thought sweden always have loved the Ottomans :shock: hehe. Karl XII, Karl XI's son, fought russia with his caroleans, lost hard and had to escape to the Ottoman Empire where he stayed for very long and tried to make the Ottomans help him attack the russians again, since they always hated eachother, but they refused coz... russia is big :lol: Karl had to leave later, due to sweden crumbling in his absence and due to the ottomans got really tired of them. This is of course after 1680, but it can also be good to know.

Infantery, I think 2/3 are musketeers and 1/3 are pikemen...

ehm, the caroleans didn't suck, it's just that the russians figured out a counter-tactic for the special carolean tactic :lol:

Back
Top Bottom