Wrong weapons size

Users who are viewing this thread

I was checking some mod weapons sizes. The way I'm  doing this is: find a weapon with a reach value that fits it's graphical size, make screenshots, compare... No problems with 2 handed weapons. I compared with native weapons and errors were not bigger than 5 units, fair for me.
After that, I started with 1 handed weapons. So I decided to start with native weapons to have a basis, and this is what I've found:

2 weapons of size 95. Ok, they fit.
85767365.gif

Sabre is 97, the nord sword is 95... err...it's way longer  :neutral:
9597.gif

Sabre and spiked club... both have reach 97. Same size. Yeah. Right.
47036131.jpg

Other example. Pickaxe 90, short sword, 85
8590.jpg

Short sword is 5 units smaller?  :roll:

What can I say... I was getting mad with my fails at combat "ha, my weapon is longer, I'll hit him before he's close enough to hurt me"
@Develop team: don't forget to check weapons size for Warband! Thank you  :smile:

Don't think of it like that.

Think of not where I can reach him with my weapon, but what I need to hit him with.

I can hit him with the very end knob of the club, but if I hit him with the tip of the sword, well, that's not enough damage. Best get it a bit lower down the blade.

Naturally these are empty escuses, but... Pshaw.

Ruthven said:
Don't think of it like that.

Think of not where I can reach him with my weapon, but what I need to hit him with.

I can hit him with the very end knob of the club, but if I hit him with the tip of the sword, well, that's not enough damage. Best get it a bit lower down the blade.

Naturally these are empty escuses, but... Pshaw.
But you stab with the tip.

The nordic sword, really? I've always thought the tip was well suited to it.

What should have a thrusting function are the picks and hammers in M&B. Even if some of them don't have spikes or blunt shapes designed specifically on their tops, they should still deliver some damage.

@Swadius - The AI isn't suited to use weaker secondary attacks - if you give pickaxes a useless thrust attack, you only increase the probability that the AI will do something pointless. It's different with swords, because the thrust attack is actually useful.

As for the length issue - the devs have never really bothered to properly measure out and translate mesh length to weapon length - it's a shame, really. It's a very simple thing to do as well.

if your good at model rendering, then you could make a brilliant mod which would reset the realism of the weapon length

The Wandering Knight said:
What's it do?  Do you just load a model into it and it tells you how many units it is in length?

M.
Yep.

Import a model and it'll give you the length.

Damnit, that'll be another week of work on my mod then...

one thing that would make some f the swords look more realistic are bleeders (a groved line down the middle of the blade)

not sure if thats what it really was called but the effect was to keep the skin from sucking onto the blade and trapping it. Making it easier to free it from a body.

Haven't checked the editing tools in a while, but there's also OpenBrf: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=72279.0

Gives you a neat ruler feature, red line is the point where the weapon is held, red plane is reach, moving the slider moves the plane, allowing you to precisely align it to the weapon's tip and get the correct reach value.

openbrf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom