Worst medieval/fantasy combat

Users who are viewing this thread

Those old rpg book thingies, which Morrowind decided had a good combat system.
Roll the dice twice, once for yourself, once for your opponent. If your dice roll was higher than your opponents, you have first strike etc.

May be, Gear head? Casttle of Winds, definitively is one of the bests of the worst... but still I liked that game. Blades of Exile. :razz:

I like NWN combat, actually is cool. You just click one or two times, and then you can eat your popcorn and see a nice fighting movie like... :lol:

I know is not very participative, but still, I like that game, a lot.

Diablo II doesn't have a so bad combat type, one click, one punch/kick/attack/wathever. The same system is used in Nox. Great game Nox.
---
In the other side, the bests combat systems I have played in an RPG are:

Knights of Legend. The most detailed, but it wasn't real time, only defect.
Gothic. Nice fighting styles.
Legacy of Kain saga, excepting the first game, Blood Omen 1. Excelent.
M&B, of course. M&B is not the best still, but is not ended and is one of the bests. It has a great potential.
PoP saga. All of them... wait, I think I am leaving the topic... oops, sorry.

Hughbèr said:
Those old rpg book thingies, which Morrowind decided had a good combat system.
Roll the dice twice, once for yourself, once for your opponent. If your dice roll was higher than your opponents, you have first strike etc.

Someone clearly missed the point of those "old rpg book thingies" (I assume you're referring to the stereotypical D&D, though there are a multitude more out there)

But seriously, the pen and paper things aren't boring in the least IF you're playing them right.

:roll:

Archonsod said:
My worst would probably be Die By The Sword. It was a great idea marred by poor implementation.
Die By The Sword was fun, but moving sword with mouse was horrible in that game. Fortunately sword could also be controlled using numeric keys. It is one of my favourite games. I liked those giant tentacles!

IMO most disappointing game is Sacred. It has horses(!), but they are pretty useless in combat. And most of the game is fighting. And enemies run almost as fast as horses. Sometimes i still play it though, but never buy a horse.

Numeric keys were the only way to really play, and you still looked like an epileptic octopus when in combat. It is a great game, its just incredibly frustrating when your guy looks more like he's directing traffic than fighting.
Sacred horses rock in combat. They have a special trample attack, which with a high quality horse + high riding skill can lay waste to hundreds of enemies with each shot. The woodelf can also use most of her special attacks from horseback, while its fast enough to avoid enemies (or just run them over). Its useless for the dark elf or other melee orientated classes though, most specials can't be used from horseback.

a free online MMORPG... called..

Ogre Island.

I was banned for saying "crap"

I was banned for 5 days. I got back on, started cussing out every single moderator and admin i found, took a screenshot, left before i could get banned, then went on the forums and posted a "Please ban so-n-so" with my screenshot.

Hehehe.

Archonsod said:
Numeric keys were the only way to really play, and you still looked like an epileptic octopus when in combat. It is a great game, its just incredibly frustrating when your guy looks more like he's directing traffic than fighting.
Sacred horses rock in combat. They have a special trample attack, which with a high quality horse + high riding skill can lay waste to hundreds of enemies with each shot. The woodelf can also use most of her special attacks from horseback, while its fast enough to avoid enemies (or just run them over). Its useless for the dark elf or other melee orientated classes though, most specials can't be used from horseback.
True, DBTS character was clumsy. I think that game was kind of a pioneer, at least i hadn't seen anything like that before. I don't know if Armagan have ever played DBTS, but i remembered that game immediately when i entered Zendar the very first time.

And about Sacred: I guess i try to concentrate more to horses next time i start a new character.

You guys did not play NWN for very long. While I agree that the part of the D&D 3.0 Ruleset that says that PLATE ARMOR makes you DODGE is ****ing retarded, it's a balance thing, because damage reduction is a very big buff.
Um, being a melee fighter is pointless? Are you some kind of mentally challenged fire ant?
Let's take the Fighter class alone.
Fighters get:
- All weapon and armor proficiencies except Exotic weapons.
- A TON of bonus feats, meaning they get to pick an extra feat more often when they level up
- MUCH higher health than other classes
- Can make use of feats such as knockdown (which is a very useful feat that knocks a person down making them able to do NOTHING for a round or two)
- Fighters may have zero magic capability, but that's where either one (or both, I guess) of two things steps into play. The first thing is multiclassing as a cleric, because clerics get a ****load of buffs. If you want decent buffs for, say, a purely PvP character, you should take around 9 Cleric levels, the rest fighter. The second thing is teamwork. This is what the mages are for.
- If you have ANY NWN expansion packs, the prestige classes for melee fighters kick absolute ass. The common tank PVP build is multiclassing to the maximum (three classes) with Fighter, Weapon Master (prestige class), and Cleric. Fighter will get you on your way to Weapon Master since you can't take prestige classes from the beginning. Cleric will give you buffs. And Weapon Master will truly be your major melee class. It is a class that makes you focus on one weapon type only (i.e., longsword, scimitar), but that's not limiting at all, really. You get kick ass benefits with the weapon.

Whereas mages are powerful in spells as well (having many instant-death-unless-you-make-a-fortitude-save spells in the highest spell levels), but their instant death spells may or may not work on fighters due to the fact that their fortitude saves will be the highest. If a fighter gets close to a mage, the mage is paste. Spam the knockdown feat until it hits and the mage is on the ground, and then just hit him normally from there. See, it requires a lot more into creation of character than you thought.

I do not see how NWN combat is POSSIBLY more boring than Runescape. ****, at least you can hit **** in your first levels in NWN. And you have to pay attention, especially in PVP. Hell, if you go on PVP servers, it basically turns into an action game (not counting loads of thought into making a PVP character). And when you go on the PVP servers that start you off on level 20, you own all the ****ing fighters as a sorceror with your handy-dandy Prismatic Spray spell.

Prismatic Spray is a spray that affects a large area in front of you. Actually there are many things that could happen to ANYONE in the area of effect. They can take certain amounts of elemental damage, be stunned, or, BE KILLED INSTANTLY. These effects are picked at random and multiple can be chosen. Instant kill is a one that's picked often enough, and good GOD is it entertaining to watch the big, muscular men rush at you with axes only to die because you threw what looks like Gay Pride Parade confetti at them. Of course, sometimes insta-kill isn't chosen...

Runescape is probably the worst I've played.
I've played NWN for at least two years, dammit.

Has anyone played Dink Smallwood?
I had suicidal thoughts after 15 minutes of playing.

screen4.jpg

Yeah. That game was stupid. It was in a topic for recommending freeware games... who recommended it again? I'll spit in their coffee.

One I can't believe I forgot....Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm. Was really stoked about it prior to it's release, but once I actually played it....hated it.

CrazyEyes said:
Yeah. That game was stupid. It was in a topic for recommending freeware games... who recommended it again? I'll spit in their coffee.

Oh boy, now you are messing with me.

Talking about ****ty medieval games DUngeon Siege. Pretty funny at the beginning, but you will find the repetitive gaming tedious and boring later on. Plus it has a plain and old-fashioned storyline.

I agree with Crazy on the NWN topic.
If you know what your doing, you can kick much ass. Only people I had problems with were mages and thier retarted acid wall or fire wall or whatever spell, where you had to go hide behind something and shoot at them with that bow you didn't train for. God I hated mages..
But yeah, I played NWN for three years, normally went to most of the servers that had 80K or 100K limits on the armor because no limits basiclly made you invinceable. I was normally around 3rd or 2nd best fighter there, even among the buffers. Though there was this one buffer who was really good, he always gave us a run for our money.

Oi I remember Dink Smallwood. I think I beat it and told myself (Well that was worthless.) Course I had nothing else better to do.
Runescape was nifty for the fact you could make ****, but yeah, the combat sucked.
The one that dissapointed me most was Rune I think. Especially when I went to online combat, It was like having a jumping battle, all everyone did was hop around the map and slice at eachouther in the air and go for the most powerfull weapon. Although chopping someones limb off and then beating them to death with it was pretty sweet.

Rune was (is?) perhaps one of my favorite games of all time! I played Rune for over a year, and the hopping around and crap usually got you killed against skilled players. For example, you see dumbass Mcgee jumping and swinging at you with his Dwarf worksword. You take out any weapon, throw it at him, and procede to decapitate him with your sword. Or you just take a Warhammer and kill him, either way it's all good :smile: I found Rune to be one of the better hack/slash sword games out there.

Blade of Darkness was good too, but it was totally unbalanced. The Knight was disgustingly strong... :sad:

Back
Top Bottom