[WIP] The Third Samnite War [Campaign Event]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I love campaigns and adding some "sense" to battles. So here I come with 3 suggestions:

1. Consider conquest mode style battles when playing this campaign

IMO, they add a whole new level of depth to the strategy during the battle. As for how to do it without supporting mod mechanics, I am pretty sure we can come up with a creative way if there is interest.

2. Include some in game effects of holding provinces

For instance, possibility to have different troop types in the battle (holding certain provinces giving you a chance to add +1 cav, or archer, or whatever).

This might help add more "sense" to the conquest of provinces.

3. Consider adding some position rules.

That is, if you have an army precisely guarding the province under attack, this gives you some bonus in game.

Hope you find this helpful.

Erk said:
Hi!

I love campaigns and adding some "sense" to battles. So here I come with 3 suggestions:

1. Consider conquest mode style battles when playing this campaign

IMO, they add a whole new level of depth to the strategy during the battle. As for how to do it without supporting mod mechanics, I am pretty sure we can come up with a creative way if there is interest.

A conquest mode does sound very interesting to have, maybe have a map with landmarks with a flag at each one.

2. Include some in game effects of holding provinces

For instance, possibility to have different troop types in the battle (holding certain provinces giving you a chance to add +1 cav, or archer, or whatever).

This might help add more "sense" to the conquest of provinces.

This also sounds like a good idea, to allow some people to go cav or ranged if that faction controls a certain province could work.

3. Consider adding some position rules.

That is, if you have an army precisely guarding the province under attack, this gives you some bonus in game.

What kind of bonus are you thinking of? The multiple troop types seem like a good enough bonus to me.

Well regarding 3, I am thinking in terms "grand strategy".

You decide where to place the troops in the map. This could be represented by an amount of "troop points", which are awarded say based on number of provinces, with certain provinces being worth more than others.

Now if you are attacked in a province, the relative amount of troops (between you and the enemy) gives an in game advantage. A simple way of doing it could be:

Battles for a province are fought in 3 rounds. The side having more "troop points" in a province has, only for the first round, as many more people in their in game faction as their relative advantage. For instance, having double "troop points" means having double the number of player slots in the first round. For the other two rounds, this limitation disappears, representing the arrival of reinforcements.

There are many layers one might add to this. For instance, neighboring provinces might contribute with their "troop points", but discounted representing the quick reinforcements. There can be limitations on how to move troop points from a province to another, etc.

Now the troop types could be an interesting "bonus" to holding certain provinces, something aside of what I have described.

I guess that I could keep adding layers to this, but since it is the first campaign my guess is you guys might not want to go full in in terms of complicating it.

Clan Name: Legio XIII
Clan Thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,286427.0.html
Desired Faction: Rome
Average Attendance: 12-50

rebelboy1 said:
Clan Name: Legio XIII
Clan Thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,286427.0.html
Desired Faction: Rome
Average Attendance: 12-50

You kidding... 12-50, that's quite the range, make it something less spreaded plz :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom