Why Not Add Winter (Snow) Attrition to Preserve Sturgia (and Buff Their Units)?

Users who are viewing this thread

From a 1.5.3 perspective (250 hours of play; 4 or 5 different campaigns), it seems Sturgia is pretty much a punching bag. Especially for Battanians & Khuzaits. Despite their winter movement buff & fact that north is snow-covered 50% of year.

Why not give all faction armies a stiff winter weather attrition penalty? While exempting Sturgian armies (or even armies and troop types)?? I mean historically pre-modern armies tended to NOT invade in colder climate zones for this very reason. Frostbite and hypothermia caused casualties; while supply logistics became amplified, accelerating casualty rate. Think Napoleon (and Hitler) in Russia; or Caesar hunkering down in winter camps in Gaul during the winter (to avoid troop loss).

Only major exception I can think of was Mongol invasion and near destruction of Kievan Rus & Muscovy in 1200's (?). But it was apparently 100% mounted, with loads of extra remounts, and pack horses for supplies. Scandinavian armies were also winterized (as were northern and steppe Slavs)--but these are the real world Sturgian equivalents, right?

I'm not exactly sure how Devs they'd code for this; but the Sturgian 20% snow movement buff is already coded. Snow attrition--and AI aversion to snow attrition--might be more of a challenge. But if easily implemented coding-wise, it could be the easy answer to balancing Sturgian lameness. It would also make a major impact on player, causing him to leave his Fians & Khuzait/Vlaandian Cav in garrison once snow falls; and instead use only hardy Sturgian lads...increasing the relative value of northern troops.

Back
Top Bottom