Why Is This Forum Section So Toxic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people had sky high expectations and i think a lot of them were expecting them to be realised on the release of Early Access, as opposed to when the game actually releases. I think a large problem is the whole concept of Early Access, I think people view it as the full game and represetntative of the finished product rather than a de facto demo

Personally I think it's better to not even play Early Access, because frankly it's almost always going to be disappointing, simply because it's not finished, and it almost always ruins your initial impression of a game. I've played Bannerlord a bit myself before release (~~90hrs) even though I told myself I wouldn't but that's mainly because I'm super excited for the game to actually release, even though it's nowhere near release-able yet.

Re the game improving in the last year; the stability and performance increases have been enormous, I used to crash all the time and get 20fps with a GTX1080Ti, now I rarely ever crash, and single player has progressed enormously to the point where it's actually a hell of a lot of fun playing a single player campaign now. I think it's important to keep in mind for the multiplayer community that singleplayer is where they make their money, so singleplayer was always going to come first in development priorities; we don't know what their development calendar looks like and we don't know if they're going to have a large development push for multiplayer before the initial release. I suspect they'll get singleplayer to a state they're happy with and then focus resources on multiplayer after that
Nope, I had very low expectations from the multiplayer. Still disappointed especially a year later

Personally i think i'm going to wait for it to be released before forming my opinion.

I doubt they'll have it finished in 7-8 months as the guy said earlier, and it might be a mistake to release it in 2021 (it's clearly no where near a releasable state yet). Personally i'd rather it release in 2023 with a good product than be released in a rushed state. New games come out every day, i can wait a bit till there's a high quality product.

Personally i think i'm going to wait for it to be released before forming my opinion.

I doubt they'll have it finished in 7-8 months as the guy said earlier, and it might be a mistake to release it in 2021 (it's clearly no where near a releasable state yet). Personally i'd rather it release in 2023 with a good product than be released in a rushed state. New games come out every day, i can wait a bit till there's a high quality product.
I don't want to be rude, but when did you start participating in all of this? Some people here have been involved in playing/testing the game for almost 2 years now. In that time they have added almost nothing. You talk about 2023, but at the current rate of development, the skeleton crew they have working on the game, and the utter inability (for whatever reason) for feedback to be implemented; 2023 is beyond hopeful. The game is fundamentally unchanged since people got their hands on it, and every time player sentiment is logged in some way, the supermajority of the community disagrees with the fundamentals every time.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's an entire section of the forum that is conveniently hidden, that was for the first 6 months ~98% constructive. Before calling other people "toxic", try and spend years trying to get even the most simple and basic problems fixed by the developers, only to have it utterly ignored, and see what your disposition is like. With all due respect, this thread, and your general sentiment, is based entirely on the ignorance of someone who hasn't been knee-high in dog **** with zero redress for years at a time.

@Corsair831
Some frustration comes from the game getting almost unplayable with some patches, while at the same time no new content arrives. Lots of game breaking bugs have been so obvious its a miracle they didn't notice them, thats at least when i get angry with them and i think rightfully so. For example the sound bugs or clan match bug would have been noticed if any testing of those patches would have been made.

I don't want to be rude, but when did you start participating in all of this? Some people here have been involved in playing/testing the game for almost 2 years now. In that time they have added almost nothing. You talk about 2023, but at the current rate of development, the skeleton crew they have working on the game, and the utter inability (for whatever reason) for feedback to be implemented; 2023 is beyond hopeful. The game is fundamentally unchanged since people got their hands on it, and every time player sentiment is logged in some way, the supermajority of the community disagrees with the fundamentals every time.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's an entire section of the forum that is conveniently hidden, that was for the first 6 months ~98% constructive. Before calling other people "toxic", try and spend years trying to get even the most simple and basic problems fixed by the developers, only to have it utterly ignored, and see what your disposition is like. With all due respect, this thread, and your general sentiment, is based entirely on the ignorance of someone who hasn't been knee-high in dog **** with zero redress for years at a time.

This right there, when i got my hands on the game at the very release, i was full of optimism. I loved the MB franchise, so i was in a positive mindset, hell, i was even enjoying Multiplayer and didnt really care about the class system... for a month at top. Then it started hitting me, all these flaws, all these stupid design decisions, all these crappy physics oriented towards realism, this complete lack of communication regarding the matters that players want to most : Custom servers and MP modding tools. We want the game to go forward, but Taleworld's stubbornness is making the game go BACKWARDS. There is a lot of toxicity, but what i see in these forums is how united the community is, because we more often than not all agree on pretty much all flaws in this game. Taleworlds, by refusing to listen to its community, is declaring war to it, and this forum is the only place where it seems we can battle them. Communicate with us and we will have a civilized conversation, ignore me (the consumer that payed 60$ for your game) and i'll call you a c**t, as simple as that.

Full release should not happen before we have had a solid few months with custom servers being set up and some Quality of life mods made + bigger scale mods being worked on. Also make it very easy for new players to find clans and mods that suits them. Until that happens, please don't have full release. Probably the last big wave of players returning/discovering the game will be at that point.

"I bought a ticket to the movies, and they let me see the trailer early, and based off of the trailer the movie is absolutely terrible"

Edit: You guys literally just proved my point here. Healthy criticism is fine, but some of you guys are just outright vitriolic. The game is clearly going to take ~~2-3 years to be in a fully playable state, we all know it. You're going to get to play it, it's just going to take some time. If you're not having fun, go play Mordhau/Warband, come check back in at official release.

Healthy, polite criticism of the game is great. The devs seem to like interacting with their community more than most I have seen (which I am very surprised by given the attitude of you guys, I wouldn't want to have to talk to you guys). What is not great is constantly insulting and belittling the devs/game and alienating the community from the devs. Do you think they're just sat twiddling their thumbs? They're working on the game, every day they do more stuff, it's going to get finished. Just because you don't directly know what it is they're doing every day does not mean it's not getting done.

Please guys for the love of god think of Early Access as a demo, not an official release.

Thanks to those of you who agree with me, it appears not everyone here is going to act like a baby, just a vocal minority
Oh my God. I cant believe Im seeing this. I have been playing PC games for more than 25 years and never paied for DEMO (and never will). What I traded my 45 Euros for was Bannerlord PC game on Steam (nobody cares if alfa, beta, gama, delta, EA or whatever). They had 1 year time to get singleplayer working, and today it is a mess. All the adults, hardcore players see the game is broken, it is illogical, the product is not working as it is supposed to work. Go to Steam and check the reviews there. The short reviews like "awesome!", "super great!" and alike are made by teenagers who have spent less then 100 hours in Bannerlord, most of the negative reviews are written by people who have spent over 200 hours and are able to formulate more complex thoughts...

Last edited:
Oh my God. I cant believe Im seeing this. I have been playing PC games for more than 25 years and never paied for DEMO (and never will).
Well jokes on you because if you own the game that IS essentially what you did :iamamoron:

Guess the massive 'this game is in early acces' warning was missed?

Well jokes on you because if you own the game that IS essentially what you did :iamamoron:

You misunderstand the situation for the MP side of the game.

The rate of updates is awful, but we can live with it. The problem is at the decisions being made, that then take massive amount of time for it to be fixed.

EA is a good thing for small studios who require future funding, Taleworlds has been working on this game for 8 years and failed to deliver immensely on the multiplayer.

"It's not finished" is not equivocal to "it's in early access", early access (particularly with a specifically mentioned 1 year timeframe) is expected to be mostly functional, with all major gameplay systems already in place, only waiting for parameters to be refined via feedback and bugs to be collected and fixed.

They're only now introducing key features like Prison Break, Keep Battles etc. in SP, and still have many AI issues to solve. MP has seen no meaningful updates since "release", so not only are major features missing which are expected regardless of early access or not (that's what a beta testing should be for), but they're well beyond the given time frame and will not be available in even double the given timeframe.

That's simply not excuseable. Period.

The average age for most of these forum posters is well above 25. People who still care this much about a videogame at that age are more likely to be toxic and immature.

Is that so? That's big brain of you, thank you for sharing.
I would let you know Shrimp has over 30+ years of data analyst experience, i'd take the man serious even if the data comes out of his ass!

"It's not finished" is not equivocal to "it's in early access", early access (particularly with a specifically mentioned 1 year timeframe) is expected to be mostly functional, with all major gameplay systems already in place, only waiting for parameters to be refined via feedback and bugs to be collected and fixed.

They're only now introducing key features like Prison Break, Keep Battles etc. in SP, and still have many AI issues to solve. MP has seen no meaningful updates since "release", so not only are major features missing which are expected regardless of early access or not (that's what a beta testing should be for), but they're well beyond the given time frame and will not be available in even double the given timeframe.

That's simply not excuseable. Period.
That's the issue, the people who come here with the EA excuse are only looking at this on a Singleplayer standpoint where it has received plenty of updates since launch.

They always think they know better but haven't any clue what the multiplayer has been undergoing. It's always a whole circus that comes with it

Corsair831 said, Bannerlord is something like a DEMO and people should live with what they got, because the developers are working on it and once its ready, it will be reliesed as a final product. I said, I never paid for DEMO but I paid 45 Euro for Bannerlord. Go ask Taleworlds, if they consider their product to be a DEMO after 1 year since start of monetization... They will tell you "NO".

Another thing is, that nowdays, almost all games come out half-finished and it takes 3-6 months to get them working correctly, after that the developers are adding new content and usually ask for more money. I dont like it, but I know I have to live with it. Bannerlord is a different story - it asked for 45 Euro a year ago and today the singleplayer is a mess (I have no idea why they "reliesed" MP already, or why they are about to bring in more crafting and escape from prison etc., when the basic things in singleplayer just dont work).

I would let you know Shrimp has over 30+ years of data analyst experience, i'd take the man serious even if the data comes out of his ass!
As a data analyst with over 30 years of experience, it's not about where the data comes from, but how it's analized. And I have analized that data flawlessly.

Eh. It kinda is. An early acces title is by definition an unfinished product. Once it leaves that EA it would be finished. Buying into an EA title and then complain after a year with the complaint that it isent finished is asinine, You knew that before hand. I dont think the TW is to blame for you expecting a EA title to be a finished product....

They expected to need a year time to finish the game and it turns out they need more time. That doesent mean that the game is now finished, fully released or whatever. Its still in EA. Its still unfinished and beeing worked on. That they dident manage to exceed peoples expectations with the game or their own with how much time they would need to finish the game is completly irrelevant when it comes to its status as an EA title.
I said, I never paid for DEMO but I paid 45 Euro for Bannerlord. Go ask Taleworlds, if they consider their product to be a DEMO after 1 year since start of monetization... They will tell you "NO".

Another thing is, that nowdays, almost all games come out half-finished and it takes 3-6 months to get them working correctly, after that the developers are adding new content and usually ask for more money. I dont like it, but I know I have to live with it. Bannerlord is a different story - it asked for 45 Euro a year ago and today the singleplayer is a mess (I have no idea why they "reliesed" MP already, or why they are about to bring in more crafting and escape from prison etc., when the basic things in singleplayer just dont work).
Depends on your defenition of a demo I guess. In a way it is and in a way it isent. It is in the sense because this isent the full product but just as taste. And it isent because we get acces to the full game from the day we buy into it, but theyre still working on a good portion of its features.

And yeah I know that alot of games that are released today from triple ay studios are hot steaming piles of garbage. At least with a EA title you know beforehand that this is the case and that it hopefully will be adressed. With 'normal' times released in those conditions.... Not so much. And yeah I know that the single player (among other things) is currrently a mess. Thats what you will get with EA titles in mid production. Patches are released and sometimes they break more then they fix.

What I think this thread boils down to is this: I think we can all understand that people are upset or jaded about the state of the game. But not everyone voices that in a toxic manner but the mutliplayer section in partciular seems to be hit harder by this. Heck I think the metrics for forum users vs total people playing will show that a minority of players will care enough to even go to the forums at all. So to see a large portion of the MP folks beeing so over the top pissed seems kinda off. Did they locate every person playing multi player and personally come down to run over your puppy with a mobility scooter or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom