Why is money so complicated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, I have a problem after creating a kingdom and my personal army starts to get bigger like 240+(also I have two companions with parties of 50 men so that they can help me with influence), and all men are maxed rank(so battles for me is super easy! I could have 350 men and I could wipe out 700 men or more depending on how I place my troops) I begin to loose -2000 coins a day. My caravans get destroyed by war and the workshops only give 100+ sometimes 300+ max coins and it been hard to keep afloat. When I notice other kingdoms have like 300k coins how do they keep money flowing in without being negative? Keep in mind I only have one city that I manage to capture in Sturgia because I like the Viking stories. But I'm losing a lot of money and its hard to make 500K+ with a positive income. ( I also got most of the good policies however I'm still in negative even if I tax my settlement) At this rate, I don't know if I should get rid of all my men in my garrison and army but then I will be helpless. All I'm trying to say is I have the army that can take over the map kingdom at a time but I don't have the money to maintain it and I don't know how to make a lot of money to expand my empire. Caravans are ok but once you get in a war they either get attack by the kingdom or just bandits. Shops don't produce a lot of money and I don't know how to expand and become a rich kingdom with a strong army. It's frustrating because this the 2nd character I made and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

If you have companions running around with parties, you're paying all their expenses. Max rank troops cost more upkeep than **** tier troops. Can you post a screenshot of your daily budget stuff? You can see your income and expenditures in one of the screens, forget which. Clan I think?

Fight enemy lords, you get a lot of money for defeating them. Get money from winning, plus the loot and all the captured soldiers, etc.

Higher tier soldiers, more they cost. Having other parties also cost money since you are paying for their salaries.

Hey, I have a problem after creating a kingdom and my personal army starts to get bigger like 240+(also I have two companions with parties of 50 men so that they can help me with influence), and all men are maxed rank(so battles for me is super easy! I could have 350 men and I could wipe out 700 men or more depending on how I place my troops) I begin to loose -2000 coins a day.

Keep in mind I only have one city that I manage to capture in Sturgia because I like the Viking stories.

All I'm trying to say is I have the army that can take over the map kingdom at a time but I don't have the money to maintain it and I don't know how to make a lot of money to expand my empire.

Bro, it is so hilariously obvious that the solution is to take another castle or town.

Hey, I have a problem after creating a kingdom and my personal army starts to get bigger like 240+(also I have two companions with parties of 50 men so that they can help me with influence), and all men are maxed rank(so battles for me is super easy! I could have 350 men and I could wipe out 700 men or more depending on how I place my troops) I begin to loose -2000 coins a day. My caravans get destroyed by war and the workshops only give 100+ sometimes 300+ max coins and it been hard to keep afloat. When I notice other kingdoms have like 300k coins how do they keep money flowing in without being negative? Keep in mind I only have one city that I manage to capture in Sturgia because I like the Viking stories. But I'm losing a lot of money and its hard to make 500K+ with a positive income. ( I also got most of the good policies however I'm still in negative even if I tax my settlement) At this rate, I don't know if I should get rid of all my men in my garrison and army but then I will be helpless. All I'm trying to say is I have the army that can take over the map kingdom at a time but I don't have the money to maintain it and I don't know how to make a lot of money to expand my empire. Caravans are ok but once you get in a war they either get attack by the kingdom or just bandits. Shops don't produce a lot of money and I don't know how to expand and become a rich kingdom with a strong army. It's frustrating because this the 2nd character I made and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
From what I've gathered, you're very hesitant to lose troops in battles, or sieges.
Keeping 240 top tier units doesn't mean squat if you're not using them to siege towns, and castles, you might want to disband your parties, and take their troops, but caravans are obviously not an option if you've got a town in the middle of the enemy territory.

Siege,siege,siege, and don't be afraid to lose your top tier units, you can always get more through recruitment, enact laws that increase the quality of the troops in the recruitment pool, and you'll always get prisoners that want to join you.
Money is never an issue, but it comes mostly from loot, and from ransoming enemy lords (if you are desperate for it).

Most income comes from battle loot, even for AI lords, this has been noticed by TW when one of the developers started investigating why lords were going bankrupt, that is why they decided to increase income from fiefs by a percentage, which I think was 25%.

As for you current income, the first thing you might wanna check are your workshops, what are they producing? As far as I've gathered, checking which workshop is going to be the most profitable is easy, you have to check which raw materials the town has and you also have to check the price for the end product. It doesn't matter if grain is really cheap if the beer it produces is also sold for a very low price.

I would also avoid buying all three workshops in the same town as that town won't have that many profitable combinations and you are going to have at least one workshop not earning as much as it could if it was somewhere else. Having your own kingdom makes this harder as you will lose your workshop if the owner of the town declares war on you. If you are in Sturgia, buying something in Aserai lands might help mitigate this risk.

Before starting your kingdom, try making a large amount of denars, something like 500k, so you can endure negative income long enough to conquer more locations and taxes start to balance your expenditures. Think of it like starting a business, you are not going to be profitable from the beginning so you must have enough capital to pay for your expenses until you can start being profitable.

IMO caravans work best while you are neutral, their main threat will be bandits and they can stay alive longer. Mercenary work also pays well if you are willing to join the losing side, you can hunt newly spawned lords for prisoners and loot and then switch sides once yours gets the upper hand.

Most income comes from battle loot, even for AI lords, this has been noticed by TW when one of the developers started investigating why lords were going bankrupt, that is why they decided to increase income from fiefs by a percentage, which I think was 25%.

As for you current income, the first thing you might wanna check are your workshops, what are they producing? As far as I've gathered, checking which workshop is going to be the most profitable is easy, you have to check which raw materials the town has and you also have to check the price for the end product. It doesn't matter if grain is really cheap if the beer it produces is also sold for a very low price.

I would also avoid buying all three workshops in the same town as that town won't have that many profitable combinations and you are going to have at least one workshop not earning as much as it could if it was somewhere else. Having your own kingdom makes this harder as you will lose your workshop if the owner of the town declares war on you. If you are in Sturgia, buying something in Aserai lands might help mitigate this risk.

Before starting your kingdom, try making a large amount of denars, something like 500k, so you can endure negative income long enough to conquer more locations and taxes start to balance your expenditures. Think of it like starting a business, you are not going to be profitable from the beginning so you must have enough capital to pay for your expenses until you can start being profitable.

IMO caravans work best while you are neutral, their main threat will be bandits and they can stay alive longer. Mercenary work also pays well if you are willing to join the losing side, you can hunt newly spawned lords for prisoners and loot and then switch sides once yours gets the upper hand.
Thank you so much! I just noticed I lost my workshop from waring with the western Empire. I think I will make another but this time wait until I get 400K then start my own kingdom but this will be challenging if your mercenary to losing side and want to have workshops.

This is the link of my photo I'm new to this form thing I don't know how to convert an image to a URL this is the link

Yep, gotta use those troops. They're an investment like anything else - if you are paying for them and they aren't making money by killin' fools for you, it's a bad investment. :smile:

From what I've gathered, you're very hesitant to lose troops in battles, or sieges.
Keeping 240 top tier units doesn't mean squat if you're not using them to siege towns, and castles, you might want to disband your parties, and take their troops, but caravans are obviously not an option if you've got a town in the middle of the enemy territory.

Siege,siege,siege, and don't be afraid to lose your top tier units, you can always get more through recruitment, enact laws that increase the quality of the troops in the recruitment pool, and you'll always get prisoners that want to join you.
Money is never an issue, but it comes mostly from loot, and from ransoming enemy lords (if you are desperate for it).
Thank you for your reply! I'm also scared as well of loosing such good troops so I really don't be attacking as much as I should. But when I get a new city how will I get new governors. I recruited two clans but I was getting tax 800 for some type of king tax so I let them go.

Yep, gotta use those troops. They're an investment like anything else - if you are paying for them and they aren't making money by killin' fools for you, it's a bad investment. :smile:
Thank you for replying! I will use them today and finish going to war with the empire and capture all of the western empire. But what I'm concern about when I capture all of them. Will I make money to maintain those castles and how will I protect them from other kingdoms?

Thank you for your reply! I'm also scared as well of loosing such good troops so I really don't be attacking as much as I should. But when I get a new city how will I get new governors. I recruited two clans but I was getting tax 800 for some type of king tax so I let them go.
You pay a king tax if you don't have a castle/town to give them to survive on their own, recruit right before you plan to take a new castle and then hand it over to them. Don't worry about governors, they just give small bonuses and not having one has no negatives.

Another little point to make is that the caravan income is similar to the wage cost, slightly less in fact. Unless things have changed since my last playthrough, the caravan should start making much more money after a few days (when it has started selling off more merchandise), though if you are at war it might be limited in where it can visit.

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!
I wasn't expecting to get such fast replies. I'm going to play and see how it goes. I hope you all have a blessed day! feel free to give any more suggestions.

Just a suggestion. What really helped me out, at least in the previous version (1.2) is a mod called Kaoses Parties Sizes. https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/684

In the settings you can set spawn rate, max number of hideouts and above all : adjust the number of enemies in parties. Looters, forest bandits, desert bandits and all the other bandit types can be increased. The scale goes up to 10 with 1 being the default. I adjusted only the looters and set it to 10 at first, within 5 minutes spotting a party of 300+ looters ^^. I then adjusted it to 5 and that feels about right for me, biggest I now fought was 235 looters with a well upgraded squad, effectively besting 1 to 4 odds in an intense battle. Loot was lots of gold (don't really know if there were major changes in 1.3 to battle loot rewards), lots of cheap low-tier stuff and lots of prisoners. I totally loved it. What I had been missing is the scaling of the looters size to your party's size and this sort of fixed that for me. Really recommended. Saw there was a new, recent version of the mod (for 1.3) as well. Intend on playing tonight and this time almost without passive income, just to see if I could live off of it.

More towns. Don't drag around more troops then you need. Kill lord parties whenever possible. I've racked up 1m just killing everyone, honestly just keep fighting is all you ever need to do. But since you have a town just look at your income and put troops in garrison and try to break even, you get 2k a day, you keep garrison + party costing about 2k a day, until you've got more money then you need, then you can just forget about money for the rest of the game.
It's HARD to run out of money except the very begging of the game.

Back
Top Bottom