Why archers (and all ranged weapons) should be removed from M&B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Soo okay you wanna remove archers from a medieval game because you wanna melee? If you're just here for the melee go play chivalry or something. Archer has always been in m&b neither would it be removed because oh noes now I can't duel in peace?!

They are part of the medieval setting if you want it or not. Like in a modern shooter you don't remove guns either and give everyone just a knife to fight with? I mean that would just straight up be retarded right? Yeah think about it and then ask the question again.

You can despice us all you want but not every archer shoots in melee and honestly there are shields they are there to BLOCK arrows that is what they were created for. If you decide to not pick one in favour of a longer weapon yeah be prepared to be a target with a nice red big circle on your chest and then especially if you just B-Line it to the objective without looking around and dodging

Yes future server owners can limit it like they did on warband. And yes there will be servers have them fully disabled. But straight up removing them just go play chivalry, for honor or any other melee based game.

And yeah I might seem biased in your eyes because it says it in my signature that I'm a archer 99% of the time but a good archer can make a diffrence in a win or a defeat the same as infantry and cavalry can. Keep in mind this is also a skill based game, skill heavily influence your experience aswell as how YOU pick to play. But archers get killed in melee fairly often why? Inf can just take a shield and walk up to them like nothing going on, They dodge it till they are in melee range, they sneak up to them because they are too focussed on other things and not their surroundings, Most of the people playing archer aint the best in melee. And then thre is a secondary counter for archers which is cavalry.

I could ask you the same question, is this thread actually serious? Removing range entirely from M&B?
Yes. It doesn't make it more fun, quite the opposite actually, so removing it would be good.
I provided you with my reason why I dont want range to be removed
No. You just said nonsense.
You said you want archers to be there, just so they can counter archers, so archers won't bother infantry. You can get the same result, with even higher effectiveness, by simply removing archers.
Siege with no range? Nuts
Why?

@TheHunterMikiPL Can't use 2H? Oh, how terrible there are counters for every kind of unit.
You clearly have trouble understanding my point.
If it weren't for the archers, it would have been a deluge of 2H.
And that would be amazing. Way better than deluge of arrows for sure.
Are you crying that you can't manage a few archers in Duel?
xD It's just gamebreaking and you can't either.
Then the **** are you going alone?
Legend has it, that if you follow your teammates, they can die, and you are left one vs many.
If there were only cavalry infantry (you don't like cavalry either ???) it would be boring.
If you are bored when you don't get annoyed, and frustrated, then yeah, sure.
However I have played both melee only and inf only, and I have NEVER missed archers, I haven't been bored at all, I had way more fun than eating arrows.
(Cav is way better than archers, however if cav just keeps running away, and then backstabbing somone the moment their turn around he's just as much of a coward than as an archer, but still I prefer to face coward cav than archers)

Tell me how you (infantry) fighting another guy (infantry) with 3 archers in support would have won if it were only you vs 4 infantry? You went alone without your team, and you got killed, so again I say.

SKILL ISSUE DIAGNOSE
Based on your lack of thinking, game knowledge and/or assuming the scenario most fitting your opinion is the only possible one, it looks like you are the one suffering from skill issue.

1. As I said archers can attack you from far away, therefore if there is any archer that can see you, he can join the fight and make it 2v1.
That's not the case with infantry. Infantry has to walk all the way to me, and before they do, the first opponent may be already dead.
2. As I said I just want to have fun. Getting shot at = you can't block, you can't fight back = not fun. Getting slashed = you can block and slash back, skill based = fun.
3. Dealing with archers and inf alone is very hard, even if number of your opponents is lower, like 2v1. But 2 inf vs 1 inf? It's very much doable. 4v1 might be tricky, but I would still rather fight inf, have fun not just get spammed by arrows.
4. Legend has it, it's possible to go with your team, but your team dies, or you get separated from them in battle chaos, or many other scenarios, and you are left alone.

Do you really expect TW to remove archers from the game after this thread?
No? Where did you get that conclusion from?
I don't expect, but I have a bit of hope, that they do. And if they did, it would be awesome.

Soo okay you wanna remove archers from a medieval game because you wanna melee? If you're just here for the melee go play chivalry or something.
Mom, can we have Mount&Blade?
Mom: We have Mount&Blade at home.
Mount&Blade at home: Chivalry.

The **** you mean, it doesn't even have directional blocking.
But considering you are an archer, that makes sense. You probably didn't even know there was blocking in M&B.
Archer has always been in m&b
There was always hunger in Africa, there were always wars, therefore, we shouldn't stop it, let it be! /s
Like in a modern shooter you don't remove guns either and give everyone just a knife to fight with? I mean that would just straight up be retarded right? Yeah think about it and then ask the question again.
Dude can you even understand what you read? Or what you type? xD
Your comparison makes exactly ZERO sense. There is no analogy, melee combat in FPS has nothing to do with melee combat in M&B. Like nothing at all. It isn't even in the same category, it only has the same name in our real world language. It's like comparing a sound the dog makes, to outer layer of the tree, because they are both "bark"...
As I already clearly explained Mount&Blade has good melee combat system, where skill matters a lot, and bad ranged combat system, which allows every noob to kill good players with, and ruin their fun. It ruins their fun.
In shooters it's the other way around. They have good ranged combat system, but bad melee combat system, and almost nobody uses the latter anyway. In Mount&Blade everyone uses it.
Plus there is already many ranged weapon focused games, not many games focused on melee combat, so let people have fun with melee combat, and archer noobs can go play CS:GO.
You can despice us all you want but not every archer shoots in melee and honestly there are shields they are there to BLOCK arrows that is what they were created for.
Again, I already addressed shields twice, learn to read idk.
a good archer can make a diffrence in a win or a defeat the same as infantry and cavalry can.
Don't forget that not everyone will do everything just to win. There are people who would rather lose fairly, have fun, and keep their honor, than cheat to win, play a boring OP clas, lose their honor and respect in eyes of every sane person.

I know i've complained about archers in the past, but I wouldn't think the COMPLETE removal of them is warranted. Personally, I think there should be systems in place to discourage the stacking of archers or if that's impossible to actually accomplish, have class limits so that players who DO pick them need to actually be good at shooting rather than hope that "accuracy in volume" can solve all their problems.
Why not just remove them completely???

Just stop defending cowards, who ruin other people's fun. Without them the game would be much more fun, if they want to shoot, they can play shooters, and let us, real warriors have fun. And all inf who posted in this thread, you must either use thrown weapons a lot, or be hardcore masochists.

the problem is real but it's not about the archer.
the issue is: we need way more soldiers on both sides. the army size is the key.

of course, long-handed class op, and of course, it needs to be nerfed.
it's like putting salt into the water. Can you imagine drinking a bottle of saltwater with 1/3 portion of the weight is salt?

You can't balance a long-handed class by nerfing its ability. because "long-handed" is all it has. Once the nerfing passes a point, then it's no different than removing the entire class.

So, all you can do is to solve the other side: add more "water".

(once archer deleted, the long-handed class will be cav, after cav deleted, it will be shock troop, then spears, .... that will never end until devs realize the army size is the real problem)

Last edited:
People just need to learn how to work together as a team. You wont take on a full team as a archer and you wont take on a full team as inf but you might take on a full team if you're a Cav Player!

Why not just remove them completely???
Because in a multiplayer context, medieval combat would have the expectation that archers and swordsmen would fight side by side as equals with their own advantages and disadvantages. With the way Bannerlord is currently balanced, the only time you wouldn't have an all-archer team is if you're playing Captain mode.

@TheHunterMikiPL You obviously have a problem with yourself. Play chivalry 2, our almost only close combat there. I'm supposed to be outraged at cs go because someone shoots at me instead of hitting knives? If you want to play a melee-only game, play a game that I offer, and if not, keep quiet. The archer is not a coward. Don't use any shield because I find it easy to block attacks then, and this is for noobs. Seriously??? You try to convince others that they have a problem when you have a problem with yourself hahaha

@TheHunterMikiPL You obviously have a problem with yourself. Play chivalry 2, our almost only close combat there. I'm supposed to be outraged at cs go because someone shoots at me instead of hitting knives? If you want to play a melee-only game, play a game that I offer, and if not, keep quiet. The archer is not a coward. Don't use any shield because I find it easy to block attacks then, and this is for noobs. Seriously??? You try to convince others that they have a problem when you have a problem with yourself hahaha
The Poet has spoken

1. As I said archers can attack you from far away, therefore if there is any archer that can see you, he can join the fight and make it 2v1.
That's not the case with infantry. Infantry has to walk all the way to me, and before they do, the first opponent may be already dead.
2. As I said I just want to have fun. Getting shot at = you can't block, you can't fight back = not fun. Getting slashed = you can block and slash back, skill based = fun.
3. Dealing with archers and inf alone is very hard, even if number of your opponents is lower, like 2v1. But 2 inf vs 1 inf? It's very much doable. 4v1 might be tricky, but I would still rather fight inf, have fun not just get spammed by arrows.
4. Legend has it, it's possible to go with your team, but your team dies, or you get separated from them in battle chaos, or many other scenarios, and you are left alone.
My game sense is better than yours, like many other players, I make use with what do and know when to disengage when the odds are stacked against me. Stop being a bot

1. You're overestimating the average person aiming abilities. All of this isn't a problem if reflective TK is on because they would just keep team killing. Retreat when the odds are stacked against you or go to a position where they can't shoot you, you literally have 0 game sense.
2. Have you considered you're not the only one that's here to have fun? People enjoy playing archer, if you can't handle archers, it just means you suck.
3. You never heard of a shield, it's literally the biggest point of having one. Again, all of this comes down to game sense which you don't have
4. It's your job to link up, if you can't understand that you're supposed to die in a 4v1 in a very literal game sense even if they are archers you're being delusional thinking you are good.

Again, you have no game sense. Learn to play. I am glad the archers humble your pathetic skills back to where they belong

Oh yeah, this thread is gold :grin: If you want to make the game more enjoyable, why not create a thread to add friendly fire to TDM & Siege? Oh wait, then maybe you could not blob up and spam attacks mindlessly. If you want to duel with honour, go to duel server, problem solved. If you really think you are that skilled, go and play skirmish games, you will be surprised to see how 1 archer that mainly plays skirmish can mop the floor with you in mellee. Other than that: git gud

I think you are salty and this is an irrational rant. A siege with no archers isnt a siege.

No? Where did you get that conclusion from?
I don't expect, but I have a bit of hope, that they do. And if they did, it would be awesome.
This thread is useless then lol. Archery is not op or or unbalanced and actually takes skill to have a good aim. They are annoying yes but learn to deal with it instead of crying. It will never be removed from M&B. Maybe once we have servers you can have only melee game.

Where did you find it hahaha
I didnt just find it, its a sequence from a legendary movie that I watched many many times:

Despite being casual comedy from the 70s, I think that the setting and costumes is really well done. Albeit abit over the top, but actually accurate

Heres another, alternative, siege:

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly. I can't enjoy the game, if 0 skill noobs don't kill me with OP weapon I can't protect from, stopping me from gloriously killing enemies in melee. /s
Don't troll.
If you feel you "can't protect from" bows and cav perhaps it's you that has 0 skill.

Unfortunately melee-only groupfight servers (which die after a month), melee only clans, and more melee focused games like Mordhau or Chivalry which have far less successful competitive scenes despite having larger playerbases, all show that what actually provides depth to melee games is the combined arms style multiplayer.

I'm still not sure if this is for real. Let me present my point of view:

The game has a good combat system, where skill matters a lot.
The thing is, when you have fun shooting, and mastering your skills, that is often stopped by an guy with a shield.
Archery in M&B is good, it takes skill, it's fun, that's what you should focus on!!!
Melee combat in M&B is bad, and boring, and literally any noob with 0 skill can just take a shield and kill an archer player who spent thousands of hours playing this game.

People who want to use shields weapons can, and even should go play Mordhau or Chivalry, or any other Melee game. It's just objectively better for Melee.

These people don't want challenge, they don't want risk. They just want to hide behind a piece of wood and ruin other people's fun. They are cowards and noobs, who want to be away from fighting, be safe, and at the same time harass good players, by using weapon against which archers can't protect from, and which takes little skill to use effectively. They just want to win no matter what.
Ofc some shield fanboy who can't even shoot will say, that you can use 2H. But that's stupid to need to use 2H, and not be able to use a bow just because of these people, and it still doesn't stop them from killing you. Since shielders can charge from very far away, there often can be many shielders having different angles on you, and you can’t shoot around all of the shields (unless you are using hacks I guess?).
Also when you get away from them, they will just run back at you, and if you get engaged by someone else, then they will join, and hack at your back. You can't win.

Even medieval Japanese despised shields. Have you ever seen a samurai with a shield? BTW they were very proficient with bows and 2h katana

Oh, and don’t even get me started on Cav. They’re even worse.
Let’s sign petition to remove shields and cav from M&B. This is the only way I can play my class.

Also, I would like to issue one more petition. I would like to remove paper from Rock-Paper-Scissors for the same reason.

Thank you

Just In case it is for real, the release of private servers will help both sides.

Back
Top Bottom