Whoa, Lets:

Users who are viewing this thread

Servitor

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Hello,

I came upon a nice idea. We are all going to make up a new name for the mod, since 'gladiator' mod just wont do. With all the faction systems etc... I still think we should earn our freedom, since breaking out and making enemies with rome was just plain impossible... No one is as important for the romans to declare hostility upon... Personally I wouldn't go with ;Spartacus; mod, for that just plain sux, and you might get copyright problems because this is media also. Something new! :eek:

Servitor

Servi Gladium (Slave's Sword)
Ludus (Game/Arena/School)
Magisti servum (the master's slave)
Equusque Gladius (basically Mount and Blade :razz: means horse and sword)

I can think of more.

QuailLover said:
Servi Gladium (Slave's Sword)
Ludus (Game/Arena/School)
Magisti servum (the master's slave)
Equusque Gladius (basically Mount and Blade :razz: means horse and sword)

I can think of more.
It would rather be translated this way:
Gladius Servi
Ludus
servus domini
Equus Gladiusque

BTW: I've never said gladiators wouldn't be the main part anymore. :razz:

Highlander said:
It would rather be translated this way:
Gladius Servi
Ludus
servus domini
Equus Gladiusque

Ya I just quickly thought of some...

(Though I think it is Equusque Gladius. But I also think we are both right)

Even if it was the good word, it would be more like 'Servant', not save. (Like Servitor!  :eek:)

Rathyr said:
Then start as a goddamn roman citizen, for crying out loud.

Slaves have no future. Either you destroy Rome, run the **** away, or die.

It's correct. Name one slave who got his freedom. I know none. Spartacus revolted, so he got a "temporarily" freedom. But the in game balance is like Rome Total War, unless you are a roman faction you are just another roman victim.

Phalanx_15 said:
It's correct. Name one slave who got his freedom.
Epictetus. Tiro. Livius Andronicus. You must be joking, Romans had the highest rate of slave-freeing in antiquity, if not even all history.

Fantastic mod Highlander and Voutare. I hope you don't abandon it! I've followed it for a long time, wishing you guys well on your completion. Got to have a Roman mod, can't let the Peloponnesian War guys have all the fun!

Phalanx_15 said:
Rathyr said:
Then start as a goddamn roman citizen, for crying out loud.

Slaves have no future. Either you destroy Rome, run the **** away, or die.

It's correct. Name one slave who got his freedom. I know none. Spartacus revolted, so he got a "temporarily" freedom. But the in game balance is like Rome Total War, unless you are a roman faction you are just another roman victim.

http://historylink102.com/Rome/roman-slaves.htm

You know, it's not like this stuff isn't well documented, well studied or even widely available for even casual research.   If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't speak with authority.  That's just being aggressively ignorant.

For your information, and you should listen - slavery was an industry in Rome.  The citizens themselves had welfare so luxurious (at least during the ascendence) that they didn't have to work to live comfortably.  That was one of the problems in rome, boredom.

Because of this lack of need to work, noone wanted to do the ugly jobs.  Roman citiziens didn't throw out chamberpots or clean animal stalls - or even cook for that matter.  They brought in captives from conquests or were lent family members or other slaves in return for debts or as a result of bounty.

A slave could buy their -own- freedom, and often when they did by that time they had learned a trade and would buy slaves THEMSELVES.  Granted, slaves were not citizens and rome was a pretty brutal place. 

If one was not a citizen of rome, they were afforded very little legal representation within it unless someone who did something to them actually broke roman law in doing so, in which case they could bring complaint against them for -that- crime.  It was not illegal to commit otherwise legal acts against noncitizens, and so they would have no legal recourse to bring a complaint against them.  Slaves had no fewer rights than any other roman non-citizen.

Former slaves were also unable to BECOME roman citizens - although they could rise to some notoriety and privelege, they were never considered Roman.  Children of former slaves, when born in rome were however entitled to citizenship.

If you intend to comment about how things should be done to reflect history, at least go read a book or two about rome.  Opening one's mouth when there's nothing in one's head does not look good..

- nox

kurjajuur said:
Rathyr, what the **** is your problem?

He might be acting in a rude way, but he has a point. Freeing yourself from slavery would take a lifetime... if you are lucky. You could start as a citizen, or as a foreigner that is in the legions to get the citizenship`.

Back
Top Bottom