Who says Marnid and Borcha are useless?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Wanderer

Recruit
I've heard arguments that Marnid and Borcha just seem to take up room in your army.

I guess that's true if you're not sinking a decent amount into leadership, but there are good ways to use them, even if they suck for fighting compared to say, 8 knights.

However, in just about any case, you can have them join your army briefly with just a little time in setup to do wonders for your troops.

I've come up with a rather nasty little way to make a disgusting little army.

Started as merchant, traded some to get some fast horses and get Marnid and Borcha. Pump their training to max for their int out of the gates.

My character is maxing leadership, with training skill as high as I can get it(trade skill doesn't hurt either since I'm set on Iron Man and occassionally get a jarid to the head). I've got very little in combat skills, but me, my lance, and my courser (and the occassional arrow) do battle altering amounts of damage anyway.

Within three days, almost an entire pack of peasants go up two levels by night training alone, costing what, 18 gold to do it safely at a tavern?

Training is a personal skill, they combine between all the heros. Neat huh? You also get a little bit off it, but not enough to matter.

So, with my 57 footmen (typically from two cities), I go looking for a brawl. With a surgery 4 on Marnid, I keep a decent chunk of the people who fall over, and a third to half level to Men at arms. One more fight, I've got 1/4 knight, 1/4 man at arms, 1/4 footmen... and 1/4 dead, but they don't count anymore. :smile:

Rinse, repeat.

I can rebuild an army from scratch in almost 5 days with almost no work, and a quick brawl or two against forest/mountain bandits, and I can replace footmen extremely quickly just wandering around with the main army doing the fighting.

Now, for me, this works well, I don't need to dump the boys very often, since my leadership is high. For the battlers, I could see this being even more important. Example: You max all your combat stats, ignoring the others (except leadership). Now, you need fast money? Grab Marnid and his pumped to hell trade skill. You need to train troops in a hurry and only have 5 slots? Dump the last knight, he's useless alone anyway, grab yourself 30 peasants, and train 'em for two or three days with Marnid and Borcha's training skills. Then send them off to the Four Ways Inn until you need 'em again.

Let them become the skills you don't want to bother with. :smile:

Re: Party skills
Are all values in party skills on different members added together, or is just the one with the largest value used? If I have 2 in First Aid, and Borcha has 3, does the effect add up to 5 on "party-level" or is it just the 3 from Borcha? Adding some of them makes sense, but there are those that dont work "realistically" thinking.

Thats what i did to, i gave Marnid only int points. Then i raised his wound treatment and tactics skills.
That way i allmost always start battles with 1 or 2 advantage.
I keep him in my party at all times, due to the very quick healing and tactics advantage, he's quite useless in battle however.

Borcha is doing alot better since i made him more of a figther.

This leves me with 3 slots left for knights and man at arms. And i don't train those. I just raid a prisontrain and recruit them there.
I like an all mounted party :smile:

well, i have both marnid an borcha as fighters, i notcie Marnid IS a killer, give him a shild and a water steeled saber, and he kills more than any knights, borcha does well as a horse archer or with a 2 hander, he is pretty tuff too

(Marnid is level 17 and Borcha is level 21, both have full black armour)

Borcha starts with a a riding level of 5

Marnid startes with 0 i believe, once you get him up a level, give him a saddle horse and he can kill people, i took on a whole viegar war party with me marnd and borcha (im level 50 :???: ) And i won! Borcha was knocked un consious cuz he was bieng chased by all thier cavalry and he got stuck on a rock. Marnid , man he will kil any foot men!, i stayed close to him and when his horse died, i dismounted and me and him fought side by side, he really knows how to use a shield! while he was basicly blocking every attack, i was hackinf with my heavy fighting axe, but switch ti watered steel sabre cuz its quicker.

Yours is a good idea, but i like seening marnid, borcha and me account for an entire army. You ever take one dark hunters?try it with you and 2 other men, its fun
:lol:

Well, i don't see how the slots are a huge constraint. You really should be raising an army of 1 unit type to begin with. That being said, you don't need more than 4 extra slots, and if you don't mind waiting to upgrade, you can do with less than that. Which means to have both Marnid and Borcha you need 6 slots at most, which only takes leadership lvl 4. They're great too! Fully customizable units, and once you have them equipped properly, they're your 2 best units on the field. And, they can't die! permanently anyway... Not to mention they are very good for picking up those non-vital skills which allows you to spend even more points on leadership or combat skills. Right now i have Marnid and Borcha making up half of my party skills (trade, first aid, tracking, and tactics) which means i don't have to put a single point into any of those.

I gave them both throwing weapons to make 'em skirmishers and they're great hounds for tracking the enemy. It's pretty easy to get disoriented in some battles as to where the enemy is. So while I lead my forces up to high ground I also keep an eye out to see where my two amigos are headed. Putting bright red livery on them makes them easy to spot too.

That said, I'm starting to focus on more heavy fighting skills for both fellows after maxing out their party skills. As mentioned above I have bought up instruction, surgery and first aid for Marnid while Borsha's a tracker. They don't get alot of kills with throwing axes and as skirmishers they tend to get killed rather often - but since they don't stay dead they do the job pretty well. Next game I might invest in horse archery for them so they don't need to get as close to the enemy. But there's something about seeing the twins circling around a host of foes lobbing axes that's wonderfully amusing. And functional. If I'm dealing with a relatively weak force of enemies the three of us have no problem. The twins distract 'em and I go in and get my kills.

I've been using Kradus in my party, he's got a barter of 5! Give em all horses, bows, and throwing weapons and they are very effective. I've got them backed up with a small cadre of sword sisters (and lower level girls with bows).

Still too small to take on big forces unless they're carrying prisoners I want to liberate, I've been trading like crazy and have quite a bit banked up.

Nairagorn said:
I've been using Kradus in my party, he's got a barter of 5! Give em all horses, bows, and throwing weapons and they are very effective. I've got them backed up with a small cadre of sword sisters (and lower level girls with bows).

Still too small to take on big forces unless they're carrying prisoners I want to liberate, I've been trading like crazy and have quite a bit banked up.

Kradus! A man I don't have!

How do I get a kradus!

You need to mod the game to be able to recruit him - I don't know the exact details, but others will.

kohlerj said:
Re: Party skills
Are all values in party skills on different members added together, or is just the one with the largest value used? If I have 2 in First Aid, and Borcha has 3, does the effect add up to 5 on "party-level" or is it just the 3 from Borcha? Adding some of them makes sense, but there are those that dont work "realistically" thinking.

Since noone answered yet...

Personal Skills stack.
Party skills are the highest of your *heros*. The party skills of regulars don't count.

Yes, they may not be what we want them to be, but they definitely have their value. I'm going to to head to the Four Ways Inn and rehire them.

JohnathanStrange said:
Yes, they may not be what we want them to be, but they definitely have their value. I'm going to to head to the Four Ways Inn and rehire them.

And I have a convert! :smile:

They *are* ineffective skirmishers so I took away their javelins long ago. I find that on horse with two handed swords, they slaughter the enemy.

Its a nice balance of reach and speed for the AI.

Yea sure to start out with, but once you get them up there, they can kick yer own ass
I meant that you can dress them up nicely, add armor and other stuff to make them look better and do more damage. I would like to see bikinis added, my half naked Borcha can kill that black knight!

I read a few of you saying that you train your heroes.

How?

Neither in the character screen nor takliung in the party screen ahve I any control over what skills they increase when levelling.

It is anoying the proverbial out of me as neither have the strength to equip any decent weapons 9Borcha is STR 7, marnind is STR 5).

Thanks in advance
Craig

When they level up (They get that same plus sign next to their names as the regular soldiers), just talk to them in the party screen and ask them to tell you about themselves. Their character screens open up and you can freely edit their stats.

Back
Top Bottom