Who has the best archers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, it depend's on what you need. Vaegir marksmen have tremendous fire rate, whilst rhodock sharpshooter have superior firepower. One rhodock sharpshooter is certailny able to do more damage than one vaegir marksman with single shot, but he probably won't have chance to shoot, because Vaegir marksman would pump three arrows into him by that time. RS are definitely better during siege defense, when they can hide behind battlements during reloading.

SanDiego said:
Well, it depend's on what you need. Vaegir marksmen have tremendous fire rate, whilst rhodock sharpshooter have superior firepower. One rhodock sharpshooter is certailny able to do more damage than one vaegir marksman with single shot, but he probably won't have chance to shoot, because Vaegir marksman would pump three arrows into him by that time. RS are definitely better during siege defense, when they can hide behind battlements during reloading.

yes, thank you.

And even so, I'm not sure. A constant rain of arrows is preety much deadlier than the ocasional bolt.

It would be fun to have multiplayer and make some heroes of the forum swallow some words.

And blablabla

As a nord, I fear the Vaegir archers the most due to their rapid firing rate and their axes, which can cause ALOT of damage in one hit.  :sad: In the melee chaos, one hit from an armor piercing axe can be crucial.

Lezzard said:
As a nord, I fear the Vaegir archers the most due to their rapid firing rate and their axes, which can cause ALOT of damage in one hit.  :sad: In the melee chaos, one hit from an armor piercing axe can be crucial.

Axes aren't armor piercing.
They get a reduction against armor, piercing weapons and bashing weapons are the ones that dont get that minus (or is it that they get a bonus).

But yes, double handed axes deal a LOT of damage, mainly due to their sheer power. Not because of some added bonus.

Cheers.

When defending a castle, I've often found that sometimes quantity makes a huge difference over quality. My favourite garrison unit would have to be the Rhodok Crossbowman- the tier two ranged unit of the Rhodok army. The advantage of the crossbow lies in its ease of use, so the accuracy of a tier two crossbowman (Rhodok Crossbowman/ Swadian Skirmisher) will certainly surpass a tier two bowman (Vaegir Skirmisher/ Khergit Skirmisher).

Their good accuracy, low upkeep, powerful punch and the ease with which one can amass large quantities of them make low tier Rhodok Crossbowmen ideal for defending castles and towns. Give them the advantage in numbers and you have made life for the unfortunate besiegers much more difficult.

For field work, I personally prefer Khergit Veteran Horse Archers dismounted and placed behind or in front of my infantry line. They tend to use the most powerful arrows in game along with some of the most reliable bows. Couple this with a much higher rate of fire and you get some of the most powerful ranged units in game for field confrontations.

Rhodok xbowmen would be slightly more versatile thanks to the shields and medium armour. But, Vaegir Marksmen would still be very powerful against infantry, especially lightly armoured units or units without shields (sometimes even with shields, with the exclusion of Rhodok pavise using soldiers), what with the rate of fire and powerdraw.

Sulibres said:
For field work, I personally prefer Khergit Veteran Horse Archers dismounted and placed behind or in front of my infantry line. They tend to use the most powerful arrows in game along with some of the most reliable bows. Couple this with a much higher rate of fire and you get some of the most powerful ranged units in game for field confrontations.
Does it really work? Wouldn't it be more effecient if we just let them running around in the battlefield? I really hate those horse archers running around with incredible accuracy.

imsorry said:
Sulibres said:
Does it really work? Wouldn't it be more effecient if we just let them running around in the battlefield? I really hate those horse archers running around with incredible accuracy.

I like to have my troops closely nit together. Horse Archer AI has a tendency to run into walls as well. It's also difficult to kill the enemy horsemen with infantry when they are more concerned with killing the horse archers. Not to say that I have not used Khergits like that before, its just that I prefer to conserve as many lives as possible with my heavy infantry guarding the backs of my more vulnerable archers.

InstantBlade said:
It's a little bit annoying how every Rhodok freaks screams constatnly on how incredible they are, even the archers.

The Rhodok spcialty are the archers.

Crossbowmen, to be accurate :razz: And a solid wall of steel bolts thrown by a siege crossbow can make all those Knighties cry blood.

do armagan removed the power draw of vaegirs?
remember:
bow + powerdraw > crossbow

anyway, i have 15 vaegirs on my army, they seen to slaughter any rhodoks they meet.

If you shield your crossbowmen with your trained spearmen and better, it's difficult to shoot at them. In the worst case scenario (battle versus large force of vaegir marksmen) you order them to hold fire, which will make them switch to meleé weapons and raise their shields if holding position. Now, your vaegir marksem can train their abilities on their board shieldsWhen they get closer, they will be massacred.

ttsec said:
InstantBlade said:
It's a little bit annoying how every Rhodok freaks screams constatnly on how incredible they are, even the archers.

The Rhodok spcialty are the archers.

No it isn't, its the sergeants.
You don't have to do much besides reading some post to find out that most players have SOME hard time with the rhod sergeants, and not with any other unit - and usually in close quarters - castles and such... The pikemen just miss like crazy, the AI can't properly use them, they have ****ty armor, and even if they didn't... I don't remember thelast time one of those idiots even got a lucky strike at me. More often than not a horseman riding directly to it, still makes the kill, and their crossbowmen aren't anything special. I would rather have a coulpe of vaegir marksmen than rhodok sharpshooters anytime.

For crying out loud, some non-aligned parties are much harder than your average rhodok party. Look at the god damn sea riders. They breakfast every morning on rhodok meat.

InstantBlade said:
No it isn't, its the sergeants.

I speak from my own personal experience that the sharpshooters are more useful than sergeants for Rhodoks. Hence, I have determined that the Rhodoks' specialty are the sharpshooters. I don't care if other forum people think different, because M&B is single-player, and they are not in my game, so as far as it's relevant for me, Rhodoks specialty are sharpshooters.  Their sergeants suck and die easily, as compared to equivalent troops of other factions, so definitely not a specialty at all.

If you are considering range-only as the factor, then Rhodok sharpshooter definately not the best ranged unit, but if you consider everything else, like their non-ranged abilities, using a more well-rounded type consideration, Rhodok sharpshooters are the best among the ranged units.

Vaegir Marksmen were the undisputed champs in .96 but I'm using nothing but Rhodok Sharpshooters and I think they are at least better in siege offenses.  This is because they are more accurate and accuracy is what counts in a siege offense when the enemy has so much stuff to cover them.

Back
Top Bottom