Who Are Your Civil War Ancestors?

Users who are viewing this thread

McEwanMaster77

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Hey all!

I just wanted to make this thread so I could share my ancestors' stories in the Civil War, and hear about others. I know there's a thread like this in the NW specific forums, but I wanted there to be more focused topic on the Civil War. Feel free to share any information about your ancestors if they took part in the Civil War. If you don't know anything about it, then I highly encourage you to do some research. I just started researching my family genealogy and it is so interesting. If you want to, make a post, and whenever you find out something new, edit and add it in! And if you want, I highly encourage you guys to put some pictures in. That's what I'll be doing, as I plan to research my family for quite a while, and in detail.

So yeah. Share the knowledge! If this community doesn't take interest in genuine Civil War ancestry, I don't know what it does! And don't be afraid to keep it coming. Who knows? Maybe some of us will have some overlap.  :wink:

Now to my story. I recently started researching my family genealogy, and though I haven't found much yet, I can make a few inferences. My family is interesting because I live in the northeast part of the US; my mom and her family is from Wisconsin in the north, while my dad and his family is from Texas in the south. I could potentially have ancestors form both sides of the war. I am more of a Union "supporter" so I will be focusing on my mom's side of the family more than my dad's side, but I will of course make an effort to find out more, especially since I have a lot of good genealogy work already done by my uncle.

I will most definitely keep this post updated. Some times might be slower than others, as Junior year in high school does not permit much free time, but this will be my main focus.

I live in germany so I have no really direct ancestors on the North nor the South side. But some relatives of my german ancestors emigrate in the late 1840's (after the failed revolution of 184:cool: from the Grand Duchy of Baden (a german state, existed until 191:cool: to the USA. Maybe they took part on a side one decade later, but it is hard to find out my genealogy from the USA branch of my family while I'm living in Germany. But my family thinks that they settled in Pennsylvania like most of the south german immigrants.

I forgot most of the names and ranks but I had 4 that I know of and one of them was in the New Hampshire Heavy Artillery

My great great great grand uncle Nicholas Dee was in Company D of the 16th Maine. He always sent his pay home to support his parents. He joined in October at the age of 23 and  was mustered on September 8th 1863.(He took the place of someone who was drafted.) He fought at Mine Run and then died in Mitchel Station, VA on February 21, 1864. He was 5'6" tall with blue eyes and brown hair and a fair complexion.

I recently found a link that might lead to a picture of him. I am in the process of contacting the person to get a copy.

I'm British, but I did a DNA test and it turns out i have some Native American ancestry, so i must have at some point had ancestors who went to America and then came back to Britain. Maybe they fought in the civil war. I'll hopefully find out because I'm doing my family history.

I have ancestors who fought on both sides of the war, quite literally brother against brother. There are so many of them, however, I can't possibly name them all off as I don't remember all of them. I do know that one of my Union ancestors was a cavalryman, and a confederate one was an officer.

Samuel J. Bradlee
Senior 1st Lt.
14th Mass. Lt. Battery

Obviously fought for the union was my ancestor in the civil war. he wrote many letter that we still have.

I know I have at least one who fought in the Civil War. If I'm not mistaken, he was a Confederate cavalryman (I don't know his name or anything else though  :sad: ) . Which would make sense, seeing as the 1st Virginia Cavalry recruited in the area my family is from.

My ancestor joined at the begining of the war as a sgt in the 24th Massachusetts Volunteers. He rose to the rank of captain and survived the war unscathed. He died in a mine explosion out in california in the 1870's

I lost the papers about it, but I recall having 3 relatives, all brothers in a Wisconsin regiment, I think one or two of them died but it wasn't too detailed on where or how...

My mothers side of the family was more interesting, had a relative in a Texas Volunteer regiment and we still have a wanted poster for him somewhere since he deserted...

I am sure I had more than 1 ancestor that fought during the Civil war and all of them have lived in America since they left Germany before the American revolution or at least before the mid 1800's. The only one I am sure of is my 3rd great grandfather who was a 2ndLt in the 111th Pennsylvania Infantry, who fought at gettysburg, and his name was Samuel S. Bloom.

Sadly, there is little about where my ancestors fought, only on what side. And I can only source this from my cousin's stories, not my own research.
My family members had been prominent slave owners in Alabama, and I've been told that they were all Irish Protestants. The generation before the civil war, though, one relative went to be schooled in god-knows-what somewhere in Rhode Island. There, he married an Irish Catholic, which lead to his family disowning him and for his school's funding to be cut off. They still had a life there, and I believe their first child was old enough to fight in Civil War.
And on the other side, in Alabama, the children from the denounced child's brothers and sisters were mostly of age during the Civil War. At least one was known to of been killed during Gettysburg. I've heard he took a shot to the heart during Pickett's Charge, but it's doubtful.
Sorry if this story is very primitive in writing. It's really late, and I'm tired.  :razz:

220px-Robert_E_Lee_in_1863.png
Well just thought I would put that one in there. Im his 6th great Grandson on my dads side.

My ancestors fought in the great battle of Pizzaville, between the Margharita States and the Republic of Peperoni.
No, honestly, I have no idea what my ancestors were doing in the time of the Civil War, but it probably didn't have anything to do with it, since I'm from the Netherlands. I do recall being partially German, but that's about it.

Major William W. Cook  of 5th New Hampshire Volunteer. He served for twoears then resigned due to wounds. I am currently in process of more research of the family line.

http://nh-heritage.com/Pictures/C/CookW.html  His basic record and picture

Back
Top Bottom