Which type of plate armour would you like to have?

Which types of plate armour would you prefer to see in the next version of M&B?

• 1. Transitional harness: Used circa 1375-1400 AD

Votes: 61 21.9%
  • 2. Early 15th century plate armour (“Alwite armour”)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • 3. Milanese armour

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 4. German “Gothic” armour

Votes: 78 28.1%
  • 5. English armour

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 6. “Krug” style cuirass

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • 7. Renaissance armour

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • 8. Maximilian armour

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • 9. Others, Japanese, Fantasy, Graeco-Roman, Indo-Persian etc

Votes: 26 9.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

mihoshi said:
It looks more like mongol/middle Asia for me...

Mongol armour changed over time, but at the time of the Great Mongol conquests of the early 13th century, most Mongol warriors were unarmoured. Those who did wear armour usually wore lamellar armour, made with iron or laquered leather lamellae. After the conquest of China the Mongols also adopted Chinese styles. The states established by Mongols further west and in the Near East, such as the Ilkhanids of Iran and Iraq and the Golden Horde (in Russia and the Ukraine) eventually adopted Persian and Turkish styles of arms and armour. 

Most Medieval Rus warriors wore little or no armour, only boyars (noblemen) druzhina (professional warriors) and some urban militias had armour. As I mentioned before up until the late 13th the Rus wore mainly mail, lamellar or various types of padded armours. The main external influences were the Byzantines, the Norse and Central Asian peoples like the Khazars, as well as their own indigenous styles. After the Mongol conquests the arms and armour of Western Rus principalities such as Novgorod were influenced  by Western Europe, where as Eastern Rus principalities such as Muscovy, as result of Golden Horde influence, adopted Turco-Persian styles of arms and armour. Many types of Rus armour, helmets and weapons used in the 16th and 17th centuries especially, such as the shishak, yushman, zertsalo and bekhterets were very similar to  Turco-Persian types.

On reflection though, although I have seen Vaegers wearing mail, lamellar or padded armour, I have yet to see one wearing a shishak, yushman or bekhterets. So really they seem to be more like the earlier Rus. Or maybe the whole Rus thing is just in my imagination. :smile:

We have gone completely off the topic of plate armour BTW. :grin:

Now that's the kind of stuff Age of Empires doesn't tell you... guess I won't have to research Great Mongolian Conquests in relations to armour... you just covered it, thanks! :grin:

I think this is the earliest depiction I have come across of a North Italian ("Milanese") style armour. It is on a statue of Orlando in the Croatian city of Dubrovnik, made by Bonino of Milan in 1413:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Orlando%2C_Dubrovnik%2C_Croatia.JPG

Sweet... I also like the shield; can we have shields like that, please? The sword is good too... but I really would love the armour and shield. Maybe for Christmas? :razz:

get greek style cuirasses

Armor_Formed_Leather_Cuirass_M300228_1710.jpg

I've added some updates to the first post.

I added a picture of an early 15th century German 'alwite' breastplate and fauld, yet another picture of the 'Avant' armour, that's the Milanese armour from 1440 in the Glasgow Museums, and another Maximilian armour. Enjoy and keep voting! :smile:

Aqtai said:
I've added some updates to the first post.

I added a picture of an early 15th century German 'alwite' breastplate and fauld, yet another picture of the 'Avant' armour, that's the Milanese armour from 1440 in the Glasgow Museums, and another Maximilian armour. Enjoy and keep voting! :smile:

nice additions :smile:

Transitional for Swadians, krug for Vaegirs, and Black Gothic/Milanese for Dark Knights.

Coat of plates is my very favorite.

I prefer the transitional style because it can be mail for your ultra-elite, plate for your regulars, or a poor knight's jousting finery...

Also, ref layering:

I think it would be escellent, but maybe we should simply assume that buying a coat of plates also gives you the appropriate layers for underneath?

I suppose so. When you buy a mail (i.e. "chainmail") hauberk you assume that there is a padded gambeson underneath.

The earlier form of the transitional armour was a mail hauberk reinforced by a coat of plates over the torso and plate limb defences and a short surcoat worn over the armour. Later, some time between 1340 and 1370, the coat of plates started being replaced by a solid breast plate and a backplate was also eventually added. Some early breastplates still had cloth covers rivetted to the outside.

Late 14th century armours usually were also covered by a short padded surcoat called a "jupon". It was only in the early 15th century that large numbers of men-at-arms started to wear plate armour without any form of surcoat.

The modern term "transitional armour" simply reflects the fact that armours of the late 13th and early 14th century were in a state of transition, gradually evolving from the all-mail armour which was worn up until the mid-13th century to the full plate harnesses of the 15th century. This evolution took the form of adding more and more plate elements over the mail. First poleyns were added, then greaves, then coats-of-plates, then couters, then vambraces, then spaulders (pauldrons) and gauntlets. The last elements to be added were the plate cuirass and fauld.

I was at a reenactment event at tatton park last weekend, and I think I saw a Dark Knight! :grin:

Tattonpark1700607020.jpg

Inasrian said:
Gothic armour would be sweet and sallets would make gothic armour awesome.
My sentiments exactly. There is, of course, HYW mod which has a nice selection of sallets (though the one without bevor seems a bit oversized for my tastes). Of course, the rest of the armour-selection is still a bit so-so as far as Gothic is concerned. Last I checked, anyways.

Inasrian said:
Gothic armour would be sweet and sallets would make gothic armour awesome.

Agreed! I hope the developers are paying attention. :grin:

Vuk

Back
Top Bottom