Which faction has the best troops and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone want to make some suggestions about how to better balance factions in Bannerlord? I've been working on a troop overhaul mod that to balance armies out better and give every unit a purpose. Seems like you guys might be a good help. What I've made so far is:

Aserai: I gave Veteran Infantry a better helmet, armed them with jereeds and pumped their throwing to 130. Now they feel like a flexible medium infantry that still gets wrecked by heavier counterparts, but at least they feel useful. I plan to add a 'hashashin' light shock infantry noble line for the fun of it, might try something different if it doesn't work. Maybe Mubarizun instead? I also might do something to the Master Archer, already nerfed their armour for the sake of aesthetics (southern archer armour looks really nice, ngl).

Battania: Added common longbow archers with light armour (or none at all). Oathsworn received pilas and more armour so that they don't suck. Wildlings gained more hooked javelins instead of a spear. Mtd skirmishers gain more javelins too. Melee cavalry is now an alternate noble line to make way for common archers. Added some maces in places too.

Imperials: I've been thinking turning the Bucellarii into a noble option, and adding a Pronoia regular cavalry. I might remove crossbows completely and add a skoutatoi spear and shield unit in instead. Tbh, I am not sure what to do with them just yet.

Khuzaits: Darkhans reverted back to pre beta 1.4 state. They look much cooler and although weaker, are still really damn strong. Changed up the heavy lancer's appearance to make a little more distinct, hoping TW gives us more chain mail mask helmets though. I'll probably change these guys the least.

Sturgia: I plan to make their troop progression smoother, especially buffing the sturgian spearman. Might bulk up Ulfhednar and turn them into noble troops, replace them with a spear infantry. Veteran Bowman gain a shield and good one handed stats so that they fight better in melee and don't feel pointless compared to other archers.

Vlandia: Pikemen are gone. They suck and I don't like the idea of them anyway. Sergeants get less armour and lose the short bill to become dedicated spearmen. Adding a man-at-arms foot knight esque unit that act as Vlandia's man melee infantry. No throwing axes on Voulgiers. Banner Knights will stop wearing weak hoods.

You should take a look at Levy Captain and Blood S*** and Iron. I've used them both as a way to balance the game. Really all I did was tear out alot of T5 from the main unit lines. Many factions that have weakspots have access to Auxillary units that also have cultural identies to fill out the roles of a factions weak spots.

You should take a look at Levy Captain and Blood S*** and Iron. I've used them both as a way to balance the game. Really all I did was tear out alot of T5 from the main unit lines. Many factions that have weakspots have access to Auxillary units that also have cultural identies to fill out the roles of a factions weak spots.
I could do that... but I want to make my own mod.

On a serious note, I have vaguely looked at both of them. I'll admit, I like what I see. But I want to keep t5 units for everyone everywhere.

Before they started balancing things. Aserai were the worst and would get slaughtered in every battle by every faction and unit type. I get it too, they're just robes wicker shields and low quality spears. Not very good for warfare. Calvary is expensive for them most of all other factions. They're good for cannon fodder though. Send them in to waste archers time and then send in other faction units to destroy the enemy from behind. Calvary is currently OP in the game so any faction with them will win every battle. Khuzait being the obvious, especially with their horse archers. Most factions don't get missile cavalry. Attack from afar and then charge into the remaining few infantry. Its too easy as the Khuzait right now. For ancestry reasons I prefer Battania. Sucks they just basically stop existing by Warband. Fierce warriors, big weapons, high spirit. Slaughter those tiny little Empire men with their fancy armor they use to hide their lack of masculinity.
Infantry: Empire (Legionary)
Archer: Battania (Fian Champion)
Cavalry: Empire (Elite Cataphrat)
Horse Archer: Khuzait (Heavy Horse Archer)

Before they started balancing things. Aserai were the worst and would get slaughtered in every battle by every faction and unit type. I get it too, they're just robes wicker shields and low quality spears. Not very good for warfare. Calvary is expensive for them most of all other factions. They're good for cannon fodder though.

Aserai's low tier troops are underarmored, but their high tier troops actually pretty good. Aserai Heavy Mameluke Cav are better horse archers than Khuzait Heavy Horse Archers unless you absolutely, positively need two quivers. Their noble cav is generally superior to Imperial Elite Cataphracts due to the jereeds. Mameluke Palace Guards are probably the best shock infantry in the game.

And their cavalry costs exactly the same, unless you're allergic to going east and picking up steppe warhorses and therefore using Aserais to upgrade your units .

Cavalry: Empire (Elite Cataphrat)
The Elite Cataphract has to be one of the most disappointing units in the game for me. Their armour doesn't feel as meaningful as it should, and they can't slam as hard as any other shock cavalry. At least Druzhinniks can actually kill things, while being faster and still well armoured. And Banner Knights, appearance and defences aside, do have a nasty charge.

Vanguard Faris are good for the same reasons as Apocal said. And Khan's Guard are basically the best unit in the game, and often outclass everyone in every aspect of combat. You might as well just put Khan's Guard in all the boxes.

For me, the Better Horse Charges mod at least makes the weight of the cataphract feel meaningful. The realistic battle mod does the same for their armour. But if we're talking vanilla, the Elite Cataphract just doesn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom