Wheel of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

True, though there's a difference between how people in a strange fantasy land from a mundane upbringing act and how non-autistic human beings act.

Amagic said:
True, though there's a difference between how people in a strange fantasy land from a mundane upbringing act and how non-autistic human beings act.

Well, they are from a rural village in the backwater of Andor and don't interact with outsiders very often, for hundreds of years. Maybe they are autistic from all the inbreeding.

I really enjoy the Mat chapters. There's just as little happening as with the other characters and there's a potential love story of world-destroying horridness, but it's still... better.

Maybe because he's the least whiny of the bunch? Then again, he's *****ing about tons of stuff, so maybe he feels similar as the reader does because of that. :razz:

Finally started reading book 12. I'd read up to 11 several years ago, so I just worked my way up through again, and now I'm new territory.

Thank. ****ing. God. for Brandon Sanderson. Already this has been the best damn book of the lot. The characters finally get off of their asses and stop being whiny *****es. Interesting finally things happen every chapter (you know, like in ordinary books). Finally the dialogue goes from band **** to somewhat less bland ****. The characters start showing a little bit of life and personality for the first time in 10,000 pages. I mean seriously, Hugo Awards have been given to 30 pages stories. :facepalm:

To be fair, book 11 was redeemed by the Egwene segment, which was actually pretty well done and interesting. And a couple good Mat chapters. But Perrin was mentally retarded as usual.

Llew said:
Finally started reading book 12. I'd read up to 11 several years ago, so I just worked my way up through again, and now I'm new territory.

Thank. ****ing. God. for Brandon Sanderson. Already this has been the best damn book of the lot. The characters finally get off of their asses and stop being whiny *****es. Interesting finally things happen every chapter (you know, like in ordinary books). Finally the dialogue goes from band **** to somewhat less bland ****. The characters start showing a little bit of life and personality for the first time in 10,000 pages. I mean seriously, Hugo Awards have been given to 30 pages stories. :facepalm:

To be fair, book 11 was redeemed by the Egwene segment, which was actually pretty well done and interesting. And a couple good Mat chapters. But Perrin was mentally retarded as usual.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure everyone considers The Gathering Storm to be the best of Sanderson's three. It's definitely the fastest paced, with the exception of Memory of Light, but there is not a huge amount of plot to Memory, so it feels slower than it actually is.

I think the best part of ToM was the Tower of Ghenjei sequence. I kept wishing that Sanderson had dropped in bits about Olver playing Snakes and Foxes into the narrative while Mat and Co. were going through the tower, and have Olver winning coincide with Mat's escape to finish off the chapter.

But thinking about that last point, that's probably the biggest problem with Jordan. There are tonnes of amazing set pieces and sections in the books. There are tonnes of cool characters and cultures and cities. It's just tying the thing together in a cohesive, well paced narrative was a problem.

Mat is still the best character, though. I think I even prefer him to Tyrion.

Cauthon looked like a man watching an arrow fly toward his face, knowing he had no chance to dodge.
"Bloody Matrim Cauthon is my husband. That is the wording you used, is it not?"
This had to be a fever dream.
I enjoyed this way too much. :lol:

Knife of Dreams is definitely the best (Jordan) book of the series for me.
Few utterly frustratingly useless chapters, even Perrin mostly kept his **** together. The Egwene parts were fantastic, Mat was good as ever since he became a "leader". Rand was... good? Elayne was, as these things go in WoT, a thrilling rollercoaster.

And, very important for me, the battle scenes got sooooooooooooooooooooo much better.
He still likes to keep out many details I feel, but he doesn't just fade to black when things start happening, he sticks with it and rather clever as well. I guess he really has no real idea about melee combat or didn't think he could competently convey it, but with Mat and Elayne he managed to stay with the action while leaving out actual fighting details. Less so with Perrin, but there he the blind rage thing going.

Halfway through Sanderson's first stint and it feels well enough.
Some characters are weirdly and/or subtly different - for example Egwene, even beyond her Amyrlin serenity thing and Aviendha feels more like a "noble savage" trope than a real person at times - but it works otherwise.

Vieira warned me that rand would be even more insufferable than before, and while that is true, there seems to be some bloody movement now at last. He's been static for long enough before, character development wise I mean.

Also, just as I found myself wondering how and when and if anyone would finally take that blasted Cadsuane down a notch, Sanderson delivers. While I'm sure enough that this was outlined by Jordan in notes and whatnot, the timing was perfect. Something I'd have never expected with the old man.

Good stuff. I just really want more Egwene chapters, she really became the most interesting storyline in those last few books.
I'm not even feeling the imprisonment was another useless ploy to prolong the story with needless busy-work anymore. At least not all the time :razz:

It's true, I still remember Mat with the most fondness out of the seven that left Emond's Field. He's just a welcome relief from the others.

He's the only character I would like to import into another series. Mat in Game of Thrones? Hell yeah! The Raven Prince totally going to killsteal the Targaryens. Or then he'd just end up dead because chivalry.

Dunno, I liked Jordan's Mat more.
Sanderson's Mat feels too much like comic relief/action hero. See the fight with those raving villagers where he has a witty, amusing shouting match with Talmanes while fighting for his life.
I feel that Jordan would've made him scared ****less yet focused and with a great overall tactical understanding of what's going on.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom