What's with the pointless nudity?

Messerschmitt

Recruit
Best answers
0
Seriously. There are numerous pornographic pictures on the wall on this mod, and it's distracting and VERY annoying. Why?
 

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
0
Out of curiosity - may I inquire as to your age and cultural as well as social background?

Oh, and even more interesting is this: How do you play the game, generally speaking?
 

Messerschmitt

Recruit
Best answers
0
I'm not going to go and pretend that I am 18 or older, but I am old enough to make my mind about things. Social background? Dunno, don't have any social life.  Also, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Like, playing style? Mental methods? What?
 

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
0
I mean that you're playing a game in which most players will end up routinely killing hundreds of people - often for fun and profit, also often helpless people or such that have done nothing to harm you - robbing and burning villages, trading slaves, exploiting the natives, starting armed conflicts and generally being violent, warmongering villains at the best of times.

And you have a problem with nudity?

How do you play the game? Trading peacefully? Putting some money into the bank and just sitting around while interest accumulates? Or do you seriously condone entertainment-by-violence while feeling the need to criticise the display of the naked bodies?

Because if so, then holy ****. What is people's problem with humans being naked!?
 

Kentucky James VII

BioAfrikaner
Duke
Best answers
2
Games have violence in them all the time, nudity not so much. I have to agree with the OP that nudity in a video game is distracting and seems pointless. Shooting people in the face is a game mechanic, T&A is not. It's why most people cringe at something like senran kagura more than dead space.

Humans feel the need to cover themselves up for more reasons than warmth alone. Imagine if your grandparents or your boy/girlfriend walked around naked all the time.
 

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
0
jacobhinds said:
Games have violence in them all the time, nudity not so much. I have to agree with the OP that nudity in a video game is distracting and seems pointless. Shooting people in the face is a game mechanic, T&A is not. It's why most people cringe at something like senran kagura more than dead space.

Humans feel the need to cover themselves up for more reasons than warmth alone. Imagine if your grandparents or your boy/girlfriend walked around naked all the time.
Actually both my Grandparents and my girlfriend do that.

And one could very well make the case for the nudey pics on the walls being integral to the setting - especially since they're installed in spaces clearly meant for adults. You haven't perchance overlooked the prostitutes running around and offering their services to the player?
 

yellowmosquito

Sergeant Knight
WB
Best answers
0
Behold! I have returned from my long absence to educate and inform.

I hereby declare this post hilarious (for the following reasons):

[list type=decimal]
[*]Saloons at the time were commonly used as brothels, and they would commonly feature large murals above the bar portraying reclining nudes.  Consider this a matter of historical accuracy.  (You might have wanted to complain about the implied prostitution rather than the nudity, as it is generally considered more offensive today.)
[*]You are unable to distinguish art from pornography.
[*]You do not realize that the reclining nudes used in 1866 are actually incredibly famous in the art world.  http://flavorwire.com/251674/reclining-nudes
[*]You are really bothered by nudity. I can't help but wonder why you are so offended. Do you suffer from this affliction?
[/list]

Now that you have asked 1866 to remove its pornography, may I suggest you ask the Louvre to remove theirs? They have several naked bodies on display in their artwork as well, and I am sure they would be open to your informed opinion on this matter.
 

Messerschmitt

Recruit
Best answers
0
Eh, nevermind. I understand now, that this mod is set in a time period which this sort of thing is allowed in general society. I sincerely apologize for this stupid and unthoughtful thread.
 

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
0
Welcome back Mosquito. Thanks for the mod again, it's still the best Western game out there, imo  :lol:
 

yellowmosquito

Sergeant Knight
WB
Best answers
0
Messerschmitt,

That's okay.  I was harsh because you were so forceful that the nudity in 1866 was offensive.  In my opinion, it is not.  ( I can see how some people would think that it is, though.  I live in America, and unfortunately many people here think like this.)

You should realize though that this sort of thing is still allowed in general society. It is called "art".  Art is not necessarily pornography.  Nudity is not necessarily vulgarity. 

As to the "Nudity in games" argument, I will say this.  Commercial games do not generally feature nudity because our societal values cause this to instantly be slapped with the "M" rating or worse - which can be the curse of death for many games.  It also gets a certain political and/or religious segment involved, and generally makes development more difficult through increased distractions.  If this mod were being marketed for sale, we would not have included the nudity or the foul language due to the increased number of hurdles involved, and the reduced sales that would have resulted.

You have to wonder though (as Shrugging Khan pointed out) - In a game where you slaughter innocents by the thousand, is a naked body really so offensive?  If you were to judge our society by what is shown in television, a person being shot is much less offensive than a naked body.  Pay attention next time you watch TV.  Tally up the numbers of murders versus the incidents of nudity.  You're going to notice a very strong trend that reflects our societies current attitude towards what is acceptable.  We are just numb towards seeing murder on television.  Nudity is still considered more or less taboo, so it gets our attention. 

I don't know about you, but I for one would much rather have my children see a woman's nipple than have to witness someone being murdered.  I am proud to say that my children see nipples all the time, but have witnessed no murders so far.

You'll figure it out for yourself.  Just keep an open mind in all things, and don't let others tell you what is right and what is wrong.  Decide for yourself.











 

yellowmosquito

Sergeant Knight
WB
Best answers
0
Shrugging Khan said:
Welcome back Mosquito. Thanks for the mod again, it's still the best Western game out there, imo  :lol:
Thanks Khan!

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the mod. 

I would have loved to continue working on 1866 in another project.  I was spending so much time on the mod, that I was finding it difficult to balance life and my already busy work schedule.  Continuing with 1866 would have meant that 1866 be pursued as a commercial product - so that I could give it the time it deserved.  This has not been made public until now, but I did make some progress on this with TaleWorlds.  They were initially impressed with a pre-release copy of 1866, and had suggested the mod be created as an expansion for a future installment of the Mount & Blade series.  Unfortunately, they would (or could) not keep the dialog going, so after multiple efforts, I was eventually forced to abandon my attempts.  I led the 1866 team to finish (or rather, get to our current state of) development, and have since moved on to other projects.

If any one from Taleworlds reads this and are still interested in pursuing a western in the Mount & Blade series, please feel free to call me.  You have my number.




 

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
WBNW
Best answers
0
Well, they sure missed an opportunity with that one. Given that most Western games are narrow in scope, bad in execution and absolutely horribly written to boot, an official 1866 Add-On could've sold fairly well.
 

dinnerblaster

Knight
Best answers
0
yellowmosquito said:
Shrugging Khan said:
Welcome back Mosquito. Thanks for the mod again, it's still the best Western game out there, imo  :lol:
Thanks Khan!

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the mod. 

I would have loved to continue working on 1866 in another project.  I was spending so much time on the mod, that I was finding it difficult to balance life and my already busy work schedule.  Continuing with 1866 would have meant that 1866 be pursued as a commercial product - so that I could give it the time it deserved.  This has not been made public until now, but I did make some progress on this with TaleWorlds.  They were initially impressed with a pre-release copy of 1866, and had suggested the mod be created as an expansion for a future installment of the Mount & Blade series.  Unfortunately, they would (or could) not keep the dialog going, so after multiple efforts, I was eventually forced to abandon my attempts.  I led the 1866 team to finish (or rather, get to our current state of) development, and have since moved on to other projects.

If any one from Taleworlds reads this and are still interested in pursuing a western in the Mount & Blade series, please feel free to call me.  You have my number.
Oh god, yes! That MUST happen! I'd pay anything!
 

Ingnar

Recruit
Best answers
0
dinnerblaster said:
yellowmosquito said:
Shrugging Khan said:
Welcome back Mosquito. Thanks for the mod again, it's still the best Western game out there, imo  :lol:
Thanks Khan!

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the mod. 

I would have loved to continue working on 1866 in another project.  I was spending so much time on the mod, that I was finding it difficult to balance life and my already busy work schedule.  Continuing with 1866 would have meant that 1866 be pursued as a commercial product - so that I could give it the time it deserved.  This has not been made public until now, but I did make some progress on this with TaleWorlds.  They were initially impressed with a pre-release copy of 1866, and had suggested the mod be created as an expansion for a future installment of the Mount & Blade series.  Unfortunately, they would (or could) not keep the dialog going, so after multiple efforts, I was eventually forced to abandon my attempts.  I led the 1866 team to finish (or rather, get to our current state of) development, and have since moved on to other projects.

If any one from Taleworlds reads this and are still interested in pursuing a western in the Mount & Blade series, please feel free to call me.  You have my number.
Oh god, yes! That MUST happen! I'd pay anything!
I second that.
 
Best answers
0
I have no problems with nudity, here in Finland you go to sauna naked with strangers. But there is point that violence is interesting game mechanic, while nudity is there only for looks - art or not.
I support keeping the art in the mod, there is no question about it. But i understand why some people get wrong impression.
 

Mar Speedsman

Recruit
Best answers
0
yellowmosquito said:
Messerschmitt,

That's okay.  I was harsh because you were so forceful that the nudity in 1866 was offensive.  In my opinion, it is not.  ( I can see how some people would think that it is, though.  I live in America, and unfortunately many people here think like this.)

You should realize though that this sort of thing is still allowed in general society. It is called "art".  Art is not necessarily pornography.  Nudity is not necessarily vulgarity. 

As to the "Nudity in games" argument, I will say this.  Commercial games do not generally feature nudity because our societal values cause this to instantly be slapped with the "M" rating or worse - which can be the curse of death for many games.  It also gets a certain political and/or religious segment involved, and generally makes development more difficult through increased distractions.  If this mod were being marketed for sale, we would not have included the nudity or the foul language due to the increased number of hurdles involved, and the reduced sales that would have resulted.

You have to wonder though (as Shrugging Khan pointed out) - In a game where you slaughter innocents by the thousand, is a naked body really so offensive?  If you were to judge our society by what is shown in television, a person being shot is much less offensive than a naked body.  Pay attention next time you watch TV.  Tally up the numbers of murders versus the incidents of nudity.  You're going to notice a very strong trend that reflects our societies current attitude towards what is acceptable.  We are just numb towards seeing murder on television.  Nudity is still considered more or less taboo, so it gets our attention. 

I don't know about you, but I for one would much rather have my children see a woman's nipple than have to witness someone being murdered.  I am proud to say that my children see nipples all the time, but have witnessed no murders so far.

You'll figure it out for yourself.  Just keep an open mind in all things, and don't let others tell you what is right and what is wrong.  Decide for yourself.
with all due respect,sir, no matter what you think or the facts your opinions are based on,there will always be people (such as I) who think this is highly indecent. I'd rather see a blank, grey, meaningless image than a nude person,and I understand that others don't mind nudity,but all I'm asking for is a SFW (if you will) version of the mod. I'm sure you're a really busy man,but I'm also sure that replacing the images/removing them completely would be a trivial task for professionals such as you and your team,or at least not at all time consuming, so could you please do that? I'd really appreciate it if you do.
I also apologize for bumping the topic, but I thought it would be best to revive a topic than start a new one/
 

Cpt. Nemo

The Wurst
Section Moderator
M&BWB
Best answers
0
Mar Speedsman said:
  with all due respect,sir, no matter what you think or the facts your opinions are based on,there will always be people (such as I) who think this is highly indecent. I'd rather see a blank, grey, meaningless image than a nude person,and I understand that others don't mind nudity,but all I'm asking for is a SFW (if you will) version of the mod. I'm sure you're a really busy man,but I'm also sure that replacing the images/removing them completely would be a trivial task for professionals such as you and your team,or at least not at all time consuming, so could you please do that? I'd really appreciate it if you do.
I also apologize for bumping the topic, but I thought it would be best to revive a topic than start a new one/
You don't have to like it, which is fine. You also don't have to play it. yellowmosquito and his team stopped working on this mod years ago, and yellow himself has stopped modding altogether. The odds of him or anyone else coming out of mod retirement to change their work of love in a way they don't/didn't envision is zero. If you're willing to do the work, he or someone else could probably tell you how to remove the paintings for your own use.