Whats with the infatuation with large battles???

Users who are viewing this thread

ken760ca

Recruit
I am trying some mods and excited about them, until I get a decent way into the game. I honestly dont understand why people try to bog this game down with huge armies in the mods. The battles are just down right stupid! 30 man armies fighting until they all die, then 30 more come out of nowhere? Does anyone else think this is stupid??? Everyone knows that real armies form wide front lines and tried to flank. In fact most of the time the army who can spread out the widest while maintaining strong front lines were always the winner. So this idea of small squads dying then being reinforced is just plain silly to me. I understand its an hardware issue, well why not just admit the game wasnt designed and/or cant handle that type of game.

Sorry for the rant, but after trying three mods I came to this conclusion. Please for the love of gaming, does anyone have any mods that focuses on small bands of warriors? Is my only answer playing vanilla warband? Because honestly vanilla was my most fulfilling campaign thus far because of the later battles in the game 90vs90, which seemed epic enough for what this game can handle. Not that the mods dont have features that I fell in love with, because they did. Some awesome things to be seen!! But why on earth is there this infatuation with huge battles for a game that obviously can not handle and/or was not designed to be used that way? My 2 cents.

Lots of people play 300 man battles, without problem. I think it's quite understandable that people are attracted by the grandeur of a large battle.

I'd also say that the majority of mods don't have any inclination, either way, in terms of battle size.

[shameless plug]Currently, Damocles and I are developing a Robin Hood module with a strong emphasis on companions and smaller battles (link in sig)[/shameless plug]

mobotium said:
Hu... Thats not a mod issue, its that you must use the batle sizer in the options menu to set the batle size to 150 or so...

The battlesizer allows you to have as many as you like.

Ok well my computer must be a piece of crap then because if I try 50vs50 my pc stutters so i keep it at 30vs30.

I was just thinking about a mod. It would focus on small tribal bands of warriors over the steppes. No warrior classes, only hero classes. All with their own unique skill sets and war skills, home village, small back story, etc. Now that would be RAD!

I have bad news. Your computer is a piece of crap. My four year old (five year old?) desktop has no difficulty with the largest native WB battles.

So, like, you must have a real stinker on your hands.

As to mods, I've been thinking about splitting the factions up so that the original factions only have one or two cities and some castles each, and then adding a bunch of minor factions with maybe a couple of castles or an individual city. Then shortening the mercenary contract significantly. It cuts down on the size of the mega armies and ups the number of going conflicts, making things way more entertaining!

Adding lords isn't all that hard, and Diplomacy already has most of the functionality I'd want to include, so I'd have very little real work to do outside of transferring in the troops I've already made, changing the culture of a few towns and villages and then tweaking the settings (AI lords have more high tier troops, more cash per level, etc).

The problem, of course, is a total lack of motivation since I can't actually play anything I create at the moment. Hard enough just keeping going with the swap to the module system.

But, really, the game is impressively modular. I'm continually amazed at how easy it is to do things that, in other games, would require months of hard labor.

Also I really hate Python for reasons I can't even begin to explain in a coherent manner, although I will admit that it's a very cool language in its own idiosyncratic way.

Either your computer is out of date or you need to lower the graphical settings. There are some mods wich are developing, that focuses on smaller battles.

I play on battlesize 500/max detail - and don't have any slowdown issues.  There are some AI flaws with battles this large, but it also annoys me when enemies just appear on the map in waves. I'd rather see what I'm facing all in one place.  Fortunately (due to my PC) I can.

Back
Top Bottom