What's the point of garrisoning non-lord prisoners in your castle?

Users who are viewing this thread

gabriot

Regular
I've searched these forums and google for a while with nothing remotely close to answering my question -- what is the advantage to storing prisoners in your castle?  It doesn't seem they ever make you any money at all...

1. You may have a pressing need to be somewhere, and not want to waste time dragging around a huge number of prisoners while searching for a ransom broker or slave trader.

2. You may want to keep them, either for quests given by lords (bring me x <type of prisoner>) or to recruit for your own use.

Ah thanks for the response, although it is as I feared.... should've just held on to them and sold them.  Oh well I guess I didn't waste too much time but I was kind've hoping there'd be something like people offering you money at some point for the prisoners.

Just out of curiosity, do there exist any mods that make holding prisoners a little more worthwile?  Or having a castle for that matter?  (Seems to have a decent garrison you actually lose money on the damned thing)

I keep prisoners in my castle until there is a randsom broker in a nearby town.  Then I'll go sell 47 prisoners in one day and make a small fortune.  :wink:

Exactly prisoners have become alot more useful, and prison management skill is much more useful and you should choose which prisoners you choose carefully, like a swadian knight gives 240 denars/coins/money whatever u call it, and a looter only gives about 32 i think.

If u take a swadian man at arms it gives 170, but a swadian knight 240, lets just take 10 of each, = 1700 and 2400, thats alot more, and if u take 100, we r talking 17000 and 24000 etc...and in the long run it can really benefit and boost ur economy, therefore i just keep them in castle, + it can give u ekstra troops u can recruit from, i sometimes JUST before a battle, try persuade some prisoners, and once there were 10 swadian knights willing to join me, and even though they might run away, they can be useful in battle, just make sure they start at first so they take the most damage and maybe die, because htey will probably try run away at night someday.  :smile: :mrgreen: :smile: :grin: :lol: :smile: :grin: :smile:

GrandmaFunk said:
another bonus is that other lords occasionally drop off prisoners in there, which you can then ransom yourself

Yeah totally. A great way to get some extra cash is to have a feast at your castle/town and after everybody leaves they leave their prisoners which you can then ransom. Bandits will stay around forever but if they are enemy troops you may want to sell them before the war is over or you will lose them at the onset of peace.

Stack a huge amount of one type of troop.

Then dump them all into your party and try to convince them to join you. You will get loads of that troop. That's why.

ejnomad07 said:

Then dump them all into your party and try to convince them to join you. You will get loads of that troop. That's why.

But beware of party morale as convincing them to join you can have a huge negative morale impact,  and in fact some of your elite troops might leave.

If you want to recruit prisoners into your army garrison all of your troops, recruit your prisoners and put your recently recruited prisoners into the garrison for about 10 days until the recruited prisoner's morale goes to excellent *this way means 0 of your troops will leave your army*. After that is done go fight groups for 30+ bandits or w/e with JUST you and your companions until your morale is back to excellent.

ramonb said:
ejnomad07 said:

But beware of party morale as convincing them to join you can have a huge negative morale impact,  and in fact some of your elite troops might leave.

I would assume he was smart enough to dump his elite troops in the castle beforehand.

ejnomad07 said:
ramonb said:
ejnomad07 said:

I would assume he was smart enough to dump his elite troops in the castle beforehand.

yea thats what i do for a quick boost to my garrison, troops recruited as prisoners won't run away in the night if they are garrisoned in a castle/town, on one instance i remeber being seiged and i recuited 25 marksman prisoners and it made the difference!

Back
Top Bottom