What scared you today?

Users who are viewing this thread

That feeling when you realize too late that you've ****ed up big-time and you only have a few minutes to mitigate the damage before someone notices, and even after you've done your best in the few minutes given to you, you're still scared that someone will notice if they look too closely.

So my laptop did the thing again where it suddenly shut down and refused to respond to anything afterwards.

No big deal, it's happened before. I removed the battery, put it back in, plugged the power cable into the laptop, and pressed the power button. Nothing happens.

This was concerning, obviously. It's a 1000€ laptop. Time to take it apart and see if cleaning some of the dust off would do anything. Can't quite get the top and bottom halves separated as there's a couple of cables connecting them in a hard to reach location. After trying to coax them loose with a screwdriver for a bit, I give up and reassemble the thing. One of the corners seems to resist being pushed all the way back in, preventing the screw from biting. I decide to let the corner be a bit loose and store the screw elsewhere.

And now comes the part where I look at the sockets on the wall and see that there are two things connected, neither of which are the power cable for the laptop.  :facepalm:

I plugged both ends of the cable to their appropriate locations, and hit the power button. Laptop starts... but the monitor stays dark. ****.

After pondering with another person I was in a chat with for a bit, I decide to reopen the whole thing again.

An SD card falls from somewhere inside the laptop as I reopen it, explaining the trouble with the corner. And indeed, it turns out that one of the cables I tried to coax loose - specifically the one that connects to the GPU - did get unplugged. It's a bit hard to reach, but I eventually manage to get it back in place and the laptop reassembled.

I hit the power button, and after two and a half hours of struggling, it boots just fine.

Lessons were learned today.

16463484_10209947268111562_8752903555013622508_o.jpg

My phone camera bugged out momentarily. These arrows are pointing directly to a car park where someone was inexplicably stabbed in the throat exactly 3 days ago (almost to the hour).

>Implying he died                                  >using car parks
                                      >>>getting stabbed
          >not wearing neck armour             
                      >unprovoked assault                                >dying

jacobhinds said:
16463484_10209947268111562_8752903555013622508_o.jpg

My phone camera bugged out momentarily. These arrows are pointing directly to a car park where someone was inexplicably stabbed in the throat exactly 3 days ago (almost to the hour).

>Implying he died                                  >using car parks
                                      >>>getting stabbed
          >not wearing neck armour             
                      >unprovoked assault                                >dying
Get your phone exorcised.

I am married, have a full time job, and pay bills, but despite all this adulting I still lose my nerve after 20 seconds if i hang my leg out of bed at night. The child inside me still thinks that a monster will grab my leg if i hag it over the edge of the bed. Hell, i have a rottweiler that sleeps next to my bed, but even that doesn't seem to be enough to convince me that there are no monsters hanging around.

So it seems our gracious leaders might have released 350 tonnes of Asbestos to the city of Ankara.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/quarantine-needed-for-factory-spreading-asbestos-in-ankara-chamber.aspx?pageID=238&nID=110315&NewsCatID=341

Both the Ankara bureau of the Union of Chambers of Turkish Engineers and Architects’ (TMMOB) and the Chamber of Chemical Engineers (KMO) said a quarantine area must immediately be declared around the factory, which contains asbestos, and applied to court for a halt to the dismantling process. However, the Mayor Gökçek denied the claims presented by the chambers.

The TMMOB released air-based asbestos surface measurements that were conducted close to the factory and said amphibole, which is the most dangerous asbestos type, was determined to be at a dangerously high amount in the area.

This is the same mayor that claimed the US and Gülen would attempt to create an earthquake in İstanbul. I **** wish these ignorant jackasses would leave this country alone. Right now all we can do is walk around with masks and hope cancer avoids us because they have no idea what they're doing.

“The Ankara Municipality started dismantling works in a building that includes 350 tons of asbestos. They are now trying to make a show of taking precautions after we brought the subject to the agenda. Gökçek says, ‘Don’t believe in the words of provocateurs, we are taking precautions,’ but we are acting in accordance with science,” Candan said, adding that workers in the area were also at risk.

“There are no shower tools in the working area, there are just primitive containers. The workers are under threat. You can’t get rid of asbestos with water. When it dries, poison will be spread. You have to back up your words with scientific data. Everyone living in that area is under threat,” he said.

Gökçek has continued to reject the criticisms and claimed that “leftist companies” are behind the allegations.

“They say that this [dismantling] should be done by experts. Our tender was one in which only specialized companies could enter. The firm that was most equipped took the tender and started the work. The research they have done is not correct. They have leftist firms in their hands and they probably made one of them do the research. Those companies write whatever they are told to,” Gökçek told daily Hürriyet on March 1.

Back
Top Bottom