What made you sad today? v.IV

Users who are viewing this thread

Brazil's 2019 streak of tragedies continues, after a dam breaking down killing hundreds, a fire in a football team's youth quarters killing ten kids, now one of the few great journalists in the country, ricardo boechat, died in a helicopter crash alongside the pilot.

I once made my parents really proud which was nice.

now I can't calibrate their expectations back to reality. I try to convince them things might not go well enough and they just refuse to believe. I now really fear for the fallout if things go bad. being crushed under expectations is uncomfortable.

Just found out my uncle tried to commit suicide a couple weeks back and is potentially going to be living in a mental facility long term because my cousins can't seem/don't want to live with him. My aunt died a couple of years ago, his mother died last year, and I guess it all got to be too much for him. We're not related by blood, but he was always such a sweet and simple man who definitely deserves better.  :sad:

Oh, god. :sad: I've got an uncle, too, who has lost people close to him, and whose mental health I worry about, so that sounds... scarily familiar. Like the worst-case scenario of what could happen with my uncle. You have my sympathies. Do you live close enough that you can visit him? Maybe having someone check in on him semi-regularly would help show him that people care and give him something to live for.

Thanks, I like to think we all try to do our best. I know I can't say with certainty what I'd do if I lost my wife and also my mother in such a short time span.

Arvenski said:
Do you live close enough that you can visit him? Maybe having someone check in on him semi-regularly would help show him that people care and give him something to live for.

Unfortunately it's a 20-hour drive, and apparently there's some (IMO misguided) desire to keep this quiet among the more extended family (who would have thought that rigid Catholicism prepares you so poorly for these types of events?), and I'm not even sure I was supposed to find out. I do believe my cousins are regularly visiting him, though.

Moose! said:
Unfortunately it's a 20-hour drive
Holy ****, he must live a few states away. Okay, that kinda rules out being able to regularly visit him. Hopefully you're right, then, and that your cousins are still making something of an effort for him.

Back
Top Bottom