What made you lose faith in humanity today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Harkon Haakonson said:
What? Wellen posts very little in comparison to most AG regulars, and he doesn't exactly create ****storms to warrant that remark. If anything, he does as much as you just did, comment on situations and posts he doesn't agree with.

Any time he and Rebelknight are in the same thread, there's bound to be drama. The "ignore" function is helpful, but woefully underused.

Harkon Haakonson said:
What? Wellen posts very little in comparison to most AG regulars, and he doesn't exactly create ****storms to warrant that remark. If anything, he does as much as you just did, comment on situations and posts he doesn't agree with.

This goes back a month ago or something, so if you missed that I don't mind, but if I engaged in hyperbole then, he turned up the notch to the top. Complete with insults and hilariously dated judgements based on half-decade old events, it was kind of funny in a petty way in retrospect.  :lol:

Wellenbrecher said:
I don't get that bit. :ohdear:

Repressing digs at peoples' pasts and sore spots seems to have been a major issue for you with the moderation lately. I'm certain I can bring up quotes if you'd like, but I'm sure you remember.

Feragorn said:
So, what's the point of ignoring them?
It could be a shortcut when you just want to skim over posts, the problem is that people sometimes reference his posts and you might need to know.
Which is what I expect that anyone here with an ignore list does.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Wellenbrecher said:

Repressing digs at peoples' pasts and sore spots seems to have been a major issue for you with the moderation lately. I'm certain I can bring up quotes if you'd like, but I'm sure you remember.
Dehumanizing the weak would be a common theme.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Wellenbrecher said:

Err... what?
Dunno if this is the fever or me being not a native speaker or whatnot, but this time I get the general idea what you're aiming at - not that I agree, but more news at 11 - but... what is/are/do you mean with "repressing digs"?
Also yes, I'd love to see what post/issue you exactly mean with "sore spots", now that you bring it up. :smile:

Forgive the slang, it slips my mind every once in a while. A "dig" at someone is to insult, annoy, or pester someone, and in the context of the allegation at hand here, to insult someone out of all proportion to the conversation at hand, whether intended seriously or not. Crossing the line, as it were.

Now, let's take a look here...

We'll start from the top. The still recent Temujin issue...
Wellenbrecher said:
krik said:
Wellenbrecher said:
That's not the German uniform any more.
Also those are clearly special outfits for riding bikes, but it's hard to tell if you're joking or not over all the sound of you beating your wife in front of your kid.
Unprovoked as **** man, did you just feel like being a **** out of the blue?
Just read the "Nanny beats 11 months old baby" thread from back in the day, or any of the others from before the ragequit in a Rabble-like huff and puff and talked about his utterly psycho crazy family :iamamoron:
Temujin is SUCH a great father after all...

Then this 'un (which I admittedly wasn't thinking of but I was going through your post history and it struck me) in which case I don't even like Pincushion but was so out of proportion to the previous post that I'm seriously wondering if you have Aspergers:
Wellenbrecher said:
And you're one of the most infuriating, narrow minded morons that plague this forum at the moment, but you don't see me rubbing that into your face all the time, do you? :iamamoron:

To get directly at what I was getting at, this statement in particular is what I had in mind in terms of conflict with moderation's stance on recent topics, including Temujin and of course the aforementioned business concerning Leifr's... let's say, "advice":
Wellenbrecher said:
What's with the heavy handed nonsense recently? Gearing up for Bonerlord?

I misread the whole sentence and was under the impression that "repressing dig" was to be some sort of thing by itself. Disregard that whole bit, my bad.
Also I am able to use a dictionary, so even if I hadn't known something as common as "dig" I would've been able to get to the meaning of it in a rather timely fashion. :razz:

Any road:
No, no, I get the "people's past" thing and I completely disagree in this case anyway, as I said. But to be fair that is also the only example I can think of off the top of my head where I have ever done that. If there was another instance of this I a) can't remember and b) it'd be sufficiently far in the past that you'd be subject to the exact same problem.
None of the three quotes seem to be in relation to any "sore spots" though unless I'm misreading your intent. That was what I was interested in. The other thing was obvious, if rather limited in scope considering the tone of your original post.

And I don't see how the heavy handed moderation thing factors into it to be fair. The fact that I asked for a mute in case of an "upped" warning and was obliged? Are you under the impression I thought my mute was heavy handed and I'm sore about it? It was effectively self-requested...
I don't have to agree with the mods and admins and whatnot in order to have certain opinions about other certain users. Or for that matter thinking their actions heavy handed given other users' apparent "offences" that occurred. To me there is no logical connection between what I said about that one dude and me thinking that the result of the "Dodes freaks out, quick everyone blame Leifr" nonsense was heavy handed, rash and an action taken for the simple sake of taking an action*. If there is, please share your reasoning.
But for the sake of your argument, you could've also brought in Temuzu's laughably non-permanent perma. Which only proved my point in that case, but that's a different story.

Also nice reversal with the pincushion one given that Rabble caused this wonderful exchange, but if such an obviously and blatantly over the top and unrelated reply in that context and more-so in combination with that stupid smiley (the code for it is literally "iamamoron"...) aren't enough to mark a stupid joke then I dunno what is.
And no, I refuse to use comic sans.

*"Aktionismus" is a word the English language should introduce in some form, activism has too many other connotations.

Too much wall of text. Probably plenty disjointed sentences in there, I blame fever and not enough sleep. On danger of sounding like a certain debate fetishist, I'm off to bed as it's three in the morning but I'll check back tomorrow if you want to answer.

Well I wish you feel better, Wellen. I may think you're a bit of a ****, but you're okay at other times and in any case you're here to stay and I might as well tolerate you in the meantime.  :razz:

That said, to clarify on the mention of digging at people's weaknesses, this is in reference to Liefr's advice directly, which, let's be frank, was abrasive and insensitive to the extreme, rather blatantly making fun of the condition Vieira and Dodes have been struggling in. You, in turn, insisted, and well probably continue insist that this was 'nothing'. Here's where baiting people about their past and overblown insults on your end, and your condoning intentionally or unintentionally of Liefr's approach to peoples' psychological problems tie together. It's called the line. And honestly I don't entirely mean this condescendingly, people miss this all the time.

There's a line to how far you can push a joke, or a joking insult, or an outright insult, and when you go over the line people get really offended or really pissed off. And this can happen regardless of your intent, or however humorous a spin you think you put on it, and where the line ends is dependent on the person, which is why it is absolutely necessary to actually consider who you're speaking to. Like, don't bring up his mother when insulting Docm, or don't make some crude joke about Jews when bantering with Mage, or when you're talking with Rabble don't press him as hard. I mean sure, I'm absolutely aware that this isn't exactly your responsibility to tip-toe around other peoples' problems online, and that the internet, in Duh's words, isn't meant to be a perfect safe space. But with that said, we do have some responsibility to keep the forum from being some constant horrible ****fling where eventually all pretense at humor is gone and its genuine, unabating flaming and ****flings. Like godforsaken FSE. For the sake of the decorum of the company hosting this site, at the very least, if human decency doesn't do it for you. But beyond that, come on, dude. These people have reasons for getting pissy when you push them too far, whether it is about certain things or a perception that they are being singled out unfairly. Mage and Feragorn (I'm sorry if you two resent being used as an example here) have dealt with **** for being Jewish all their lives, Dodes is in a really ****ty spot in his depression right now, Rabble has grown up with a spectacularly bad childhood and is stuck with no options in a bad situation in a bad town. No, I'm not telling you to censor yourself so that your posting as a whole is as squeaky clean as a Tumblrina's. What I'm telling you if that sometimes you just need to tailor what you're saying to a specific person, for a specific reason, and a damn good one for all the examples I listed here. No one is a perfect person, and we're all bound to offend someone someday. But the thing is not hounding someone once you've found their weakness, whether it is their heritage, their past, or their situation right now, and not exactly condoning it either. Most of us have pretty high tolerances, and can take what we give, but there's still points we need to be mindful of that are kind of specific to each person.

You get what I mean? Sorry for the wall of text as well, btw, I'm just trying to be as clear as possible on this, while considerate to your personality and how you post and express yourself. Which sounds pretty motherly, but sue me.

Thanks, hope I can do a good job with the kids. Put these birthin' hips to good use.  :fruity:

Nah, but to illustrate further, I'll use myself. I've practically grown up on this forum, been using it since I was... 12, I guess, so at this point I can handle pretty much any amount of ****flinging and banter in stride. That said, I get a bit pissed when someone makes a joke at someone else's depression/suicidal tendencies from my personal experience, and a lot pissed about crude rape jokes, again especially from my personal experience. General jokes not directed at anyone though, I can shrug off, but if you make that kind of insult at me, I'd be prone to slug you. Or try, and likely fail, but I'd definitely give it everything. Now, given the huge portfolio of potential insults you could possibly make towards me, and trust me, they are many, all it takes is to not use two. And that's all it takes.

*EDIT*
Hm, the more I look at this, the more I'm a little displeased. Please treat my personal anecdote as a supplement, and focus on the previous post. I know folks tend to fixate on the most recent one, so I'd rather not get the focus shone too much on this post.

I for one am glad that I wasn't mentioned as an example of a victim of society in this forum that has to be tip toed around, being a woman. I would find this extremely patronizing and condescending, and would report you to my nearest feminist outpost.

They'll make you a moderator after this, I hope you are happy.
I can't quite make out where the verbosity comes from, you are not exactly a victim of the Salty Ones.

Back
Top Bottom