What kind of units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bearhugger

Sergeant at Arms
Old Guard
What kind of units are all the units in this mod?
For example: "Veteran Warlord": Is it a foot unit, does it have throwing weapons?
or "Veteran Goliath": foot unit? what weapons?
Reason is, I wanna choose between Swadian, Rhodok or Nord. But don't know yet...
Perhaps you guys can help me...

EDIT: you could also tell me what the strongest foot units are with regard to damage output and endurance in a battle.

Well Veteran warlords fights on foot with two handed weapons and throwing ones, like all the nords ecxept the Huscarls who use bows.
Veteran goliaths are footmen too with polearms (Rhodok spear) and heavy armor.
For the faction : Nords: light armored footmen with powerfull close combat ability.
                        Vaegirs: Best archer with good medium cavalry.
                        Swadians: Heavy infantry and heavy cavalry.
                        Rhodoks: Heavy infantry many crossbow and some knights.
                        Kerghit: Light cavalry light infantry very powerfull at higher level.

Thanks for the quick reply.
What I also want to know is:
which foot units are fast on the travel map?
Like is a captured barbarian faster than a veteran warlord?
I ask because I want a party with mainly foot units but not too slow...

Nord are the fastest foot units on the map, in my experience. Lack of heavy armour puts me off though. Captured barabarians are probably the fastest, but to field more than a few without getting rid of them before wages are paid is expensive. I vote, on acquire of unit, a weeks wages in advance, returned to you if they die early.

BTW, Huscarls need some change. They suck as archers, I saw 3 of them shooting short range a to the back of a Swadian in black armor and he was walking like nothing was happening.

Most archers are terrible versus very heavy armour and most Swadians wear heavy armour. Nord melee should destroy them though.

So, which faction should I join then? I'm a wandering barbarian.
I want to choose between Swadians, Rhodok and Nord...

Danath said:
Oh yeah, and then I can't use any other ranged units, right? They are an unuseful type of unit. Period.

I gave them bows because people were compaining AI nord armies are easy to destroy with archers out of range of their throwing axes. What do you suggest? I can make huscarls not guarantee bows, they will be considered infantry and still have some ranged power. I think that's what I'll do.

Would it be going too far if you gave Nords a dedicated archer line, like in Native?

Bearhugger said:
So, which faction should I join then? I'm a wandering barbarian.
I want to choose between Swadians, Rhodok and Nord...

I think Vaegirs kick ass in this mod. Just get enough Rangers of Reyvadin (elite archers) and there's nothing that can stop you. But if those three are the only options, I think Swadians are the best. Though as a wandering barbarian you might have a bit trouble training them, since most of their strength lies within their powerfull cavalry. Next best thing would be Rhodoks, since their Captured Barbarians and (Veteran) Goliaths are quite simply killing machines... Perhaps even the best infantry in the entire game, excluding Fallen Ones, of course.

The best infantry is a Nord Veteran Warlord, same stats as a Captured Barbarian, but with heavier armor and axe instead of cutting blade. Not as fast at moving between kills as a Captured Barbarian, but can kill armored enemies faster and take more hits.

Veteran Goliath is also good, but not as strong and fast as the other two (he is Tier5 while others are Tier6). Much heavier armor though.

Interesting... I usually pimp out my Goliaths and Veteran Goliaths with better weapons, such as Swords of War. That probably confused me, since with those things they can pwn pretty much anything.

Chose Nords because they  own. But it takes ages to train a veteran Warlord. If you think you can have an army full of vet warlords you won't. it takes much longer to train them than a captured barbarian or a veteran goliath. but unlike captured barbarians veteran warlords are immortal.

Anyway te lower tier Nord units are still very good. everything above warrior is a killing machine.

Just throw a few veteran rangers of reyvadin into the mix and you have a killer army.

Now the only thing you have to do to win is stay alive. Good luck with that.. :razz:

Btw I think vet reangers of reyvadin could use 1 more point of power draw...

Chel said:
Danath said:
Oh yeah, and then I can't use any other ranged units, right? They are an unuseful type of unit. Period.

I gave them bows because people were compaining AI nord armies are easy to destroy with archers out of range of their throwing axes. What do you suggest? I can make huscarls not guarantee bows, they will be considered infantry and still have some ranged power. I think that's what I'll do.
Maybe I'm just being a whiner with all this, but let me put forward something

Types of AI tactics
-Just charge: the last is a *****! Usually archers can't shoot
-Advance, stop, advance, stop... Archers can shoot from time to time, if they aren't too slow.
-Advance, stop... but to a side. Some archers can shoot from time to time
- Wait on a hill (not happening with Nords because they don't have many archer type units)
Am I missing any tactic?

Did any of the people that complained about Nords being easy if they are harder now? Maybe in sieges, but I doubt it has changed on the battlefield. They are fast, should be hard to target for the AI. If they have throwing weapons they can also use shields in long range. Does the AI use shields while having throwing wpns?

Anyway, if is just me complaining about Huscarls, don't change them. Maybe I should test them more. If could just find a party of Deserter Swadian Militia as target practice..  :roll:

I like huscarls. Perhaps a slight ranged damage boost might help. But getting through armour is what the rest of the Nord faction units are for. And having an actual archer unit is good for tactics. 3 regiments is better than 2.
They should do slightly less damage than rangers of reyvadin, being of the same level. But they have piercing melee weapons, and head armour. They wear the heaviest body armour of the Nords I think.
What are fighting nord monks supposed to be? Horse/foot archers?

I take veteran goliaths over warlords, vet. goliaths have very heavy armour, so mainly take damage from blunt weapons, therefore more likely to get knocked out rather than outright killed. Warlords tend to kick the bucket quite often, being fast(first into the fray) and lightly armoured. That's what I have noticed anyway. I have never been able to get one to veteran level. Though if I was facing a line of crossbowmen... give me the warlord with the shield.

I don't think throwing weapon users actually ever block. Perhaps I'm wrong.
I think that's all the AI tactics too.

Or Priests.

I really like ironclad knights and scourges.  Give me an army of those and Calradia is mine!

I actually find huscarls to be rather effective myself, they arent that bad at being archers, and when things do get in close they still have solid melee power like other nords.

Back
Top Bottom