What do you think is the best way to set up your army?

Users who are viewing this thread

What do you think is the best way to set up your army?
Me Personally is Swadian Knights , Saranid Maulmukes , Khegirt Mounted Archers , Saranid Archers and Huscarls for a field army.
Now for a siege army Huscarls , Saranid Archers , Saranid Skirmishers and Swadian Infantry.

Sieges of both kinds: Rhodok Seargants or Nord Vets/Husclars (30-40%) and rhodok sharpshooters(55-65%) + 5% of archers of any tier and kind, as ammo supply.

Field battles: vary a lot, from: me+8npc (if possible) to full Swadian Knight setup for, for example, kings parties etc.

In Native I just like using whatever troops I can find so most of the time my party looks like this:
Haejsejs (100%)
Rolf (69%)
1 Watchman
3/4 Farmers
2 Rhodok Spearmen
2/6 Peasant Women
5 Looters
0/3 Manhunters
1 Slave Driver
1/3 Bandits
0/1 Swadian Recruit

Most are rescued prisoners, like farmers.

Horsemen dominates at the flat terrain most of the time.

Archers are especially good for mountains, in my opinnion. They're also effective on sieges.

Infantries are like Jack of all trades. Not as effective as Horsemen in open field but when they gather they do very well.

My army is mostly heavy cavalry derived from Swadia, hardened veteran knights that haven't perished since my last great battle at Tulga.

Currently, 50 Knights lead the charge.
Aided by 15 swadian sergents and 15 Nord Huscals (Made sure I layered them for double formations.
At times, I switch out Vaegir Marksman and Rhodock sharpshooters depending on what I feel like at the time, they go for 20/30 strong.
And I also have a small army of Khergit veteran horse archers in one of my fiefs as backup.

I find this to be very effective, as well as changing my tactics at times depending on who I fight.

Does take a kick out of your moral, though.

My set up at the moment is infantry a mix of Rhodok sergeants and Nord Huscarl's make them stand closer a few times and most cavalry charges get bogged down almost imedately and the Nords start slaughtering things and the Rhodoks ensure I have an awful lot of prisoners after the battle.

For my ranged force I use Rhodok sharpshooters, their huge shields are great and since I am using a crossbow build to keep my skill point investment in combat low having a source of bolts about it very handy.

Cavalry I go with Khergit lancers early game and Swadian knights or Sarranid Mamelukes later game when my finances are a bit better.

Skuadak said:
Sieges of both kinds: Rhodok Seargants or Nord Vets/Husclars (30-40%) and rhodok sharpshooters(55-65%) + 5% of archers of any tier and kind, as ammo supply.

Field battles: vary a lot, from: me+8npc (if possible) to full Swadian Knight setup for, for example, kings parties etc.

I like Swadian Seargants for this too. With PBOD you set ranks and close formation as much as possible and the formation will stand against knights easily. Tuck the ranged troops in behind them and you shouldn't lose too many of those either.

When I'm not playing with my "stupid op units" file

Cavalry:  Swadian Knights as the primary backed up by Vaegir Knights and Sword Sisters
Infantry:  Nord Huscarls and Rhodok Sergeants as they both can compliment each other
Archers:  Vaegir Marksmen or Rhodok Sharpshooters depending on what I feel like (typically leans towards Rhodoks thanks to them being able to be auxiliary infantry when long range shooting is out of the question)

If you just want to abuse the game and finish it as quickly as possible:

Field Army: 100% Swadian Knights
Offensive Siege Army: 100% Rhodok Sharpshooters
Garrisons: Either just put so many recruits that they never attack or use Nord or Rhodok infantry units

But to actually have fun, never use cavalry of any kind.

Playing as and with cavalry is fun in and of itself.  The problem is that the game is just too easy.  Even if you jack the difficulty settings all the way to the max, you will experience essentially zero challenge if you use an army of heavy cavalry.  The enemy never builds an army of that composition.  The most challenging army you'll ever face may be 25% heavy cavalry, and that's extremely rare. 

So my issue with cavalry is more about making the game challenging, not that cavalry itself isn't fun.  A game isn't fun for me if it doesn't have a certain level of challenge to it.

Sure, "fun" is subjective.  I'm offering my opinion.  It is an opinion informed by 2000 hours of playing Mount and Blade Warband, though.  So it may be of some interest to newer players.

NeverUseCavalry said:
Playing as and with cavalry is fun in and of itself.  The problem is that the game is just too easy.  Even if you jack the difficulty settings all the way to the max, you will experience essentially zero challenge if you use an army of heavy cavalry.  The enemy never builds an army of that composition.  The most challenging army you'll ever face may be 25% heavy cavalry, and that's extremely rare. 

So my issue with cavalry is more about making the game challenging, not that cavalry itself isn't fun.  A game isn't fun for me if it doesn't have a certain level of challenge to it.

Sure, "fun" is subjective.  I'm offering my opinion.  It is an opinion informed by 2000 hours of playing Mount and Blade Warband, though.  So it may be of some interest to newer players.
Try POP or Persino on full difficulty if you want a challenge there pretty fun too

The difficulty with a heavy cav army is:

- The high costs.
- The time it takes to train the troops.
- Bad on hilly maps.
- Bad at siege, very slow and no range attack.

I personally try to make an army that consists of:

50% infantry (with 20% spearman and 30% swordman)
25% archers or crossbowman
25% cavalry

However, during the late game I am usually more leaning towards 50% more cav with a siege army stored in a castle.

Back
Top Bottom