What do you think about the new new skill system?

Users who are viewing this thread

The idea is fine, but it's lacking several steps of refinement. Some skills need more sources of XP (Leadership is a big one. There's not enough food variety to get high morale as easily as Warband) and more perk options.

Fresh enough to be interesting. But needs less grind.

E.g. teachers that will increase your skill to a certain modest threshold for cash (or quests). Otherwise it is extremely tedious to go through motions for some backwater skill you had not used before and need now. Like you were a warrior and now you are a kingdom manager. So hire yourself some teachers, don't go on a siege tower building spree...

Are all of the non-weapon skills "party" skills?

In Warband, your party got bonuses if your leader had a high skill level. Is that true in Bannerlord?

What, exactly does scouting do? Does it make your party go faster? (like pathfinding in Warband?)

Are all of the non-weapon skills "party" skills?

In Warband, your party got bonuses if your leader had a high skill level. Is that true in Bannerlord?

What, exactly does scouting do? Does it make your party go faster? (like pathfinding in Warband?)
Party, kingdom and clan yes

I sort of like it. Feels a bit like the elder scrolls: oblivion. The issue is that it is less robust and you end up with an unbalanced game where some things are really hard to improve. (Like scouting) or just weird (a king walking on foot everywhere because it is the only way to not be a cripple in footman combat). All in all I like it, similar to Kingdom come deliverance, but imo there should be more overlap of actions giving exp to different skills. Like persuasion should give some exp to charm and leadership, and barter should give a bit to trade and to charm and maybe a tiny bit to leadership.

Also i think leveling speed should be higher on lower skill and slow down. Also weapon skills and athletics should be possible to level up to 50 from melee fights and tournaments.

That being said, this seems like one of the main things they have changed from warband. I think that it would be more important to fix the campaign system (fief tax, manpower, lord armies, etc) but all in all I like the system. It's more engaging than just exp.

So far I really don't like it. I miss perks like Ironflesh or Trainer. Attributes affects only possibility to learn new perks, nothing more like 1 strength - 1HP. Progression feels really slow and it feels really limited.

In the other hand weapon proficiency is weird too. I can feel that I'm very weak with one handed sword because my proficiency is like 50, but with bows and javelins my aim is extremely precise despite the fact the proficiency with those weapons is even lower than sword skill.

And I enjoyed receiving exp for every enemy that I have killed in Warband.

I think it's really good and a huge improvement over Warband. Yes, there is a lot of tweaking that needs to happen, mainly expanding the tasks which can give experience to certain attributes.

First, I don't think people understand how the system work and are just upset it doesn't work as Warband's. You do not get general experience and then disperse that down to skills. You level up based on the amount of Skill Points (SP) you get. You get SP by leveling up certain skills. The xp gain for those skills is determined by certain tasks, denoted at the top where it tells you how to level them up. That xp is then modified by the amount of focus points in the skill and the attribute points in the class. There are also skill caps, which limit the skill points based on focus points and attribute points.

Now you need to do things to get experience for them. You need to buy and sell goods to level up trade. You need to maintain high morale to level up stewardship. You need to use trebuchets to level up engineering. Gone are the days where you 1v100 as a horse archer and use that experience to level up your persuasion. I think this is a change for the better and creates a more immersive game. In Bannerlord, you feel more like a commander and leader than just a gigabuffed soldier who happens to own land.

It seems like many perks, however, are bugged and do not actually work. Hopefully this is resolved quickly so that leveling up has more of an impact.

For those still reading, a bug that you need to start using: When going to the tavern to sell prisoners, do not sell all. Pick the option to choose which you sell, then sell all. You will level up Trade and Rougery doing this.

All in all, great system, just needs a lot of bug fixing and balancing to make the experience better for a player.

I like the new system, but I agree that it need tweaking with leveling speed's of skills. And maybe a bit more attribute points (at least an explanation on how often you should get them).
Also something has to be done about companion skills. There should be a way to increase them since now you get a bunch of companions with skills at lvl 0, or a healer with 60 skill, 0 INT and 0 focus points in medicine :/
Since currently I don't see a way to unlock all the perks in say any non combat skills for any of the companions. And you can't unlock them all to since there isn't enough attribute points to max 2 skills dependent on diff attributes (Tactics & Leadership for example).

To be honest, i understood nothing of the new system at first but reading here i start to understand ! The idea seems to be good but need a lot of refinement/improvements. Gaining XP by the things you do seems fair. I think it works same for companions, you probably have to assign them roles, if one companion is quartermaster i think it will improve trade skill ? If you give him an army or a castle it will increase his leaderhsip ?

Much like quantum physics - like it but have no idea whats going on. For instance -why did i get a bump in Horseback riding during a siege..?

I am rather fond of it. It is more or less the same as Elder Scrolls uses and I always thought it was a good system. You use the skills you want to use actively enough and you gradually get better at it.

My only complaint is that you don't level up from practice fights or even tournaments. This is an issue because if I want to improve my one handed skill for better tournament performance my only option is to switch out my glorious two-hander and start grinding on looters or something or otherwise risk bringing a weapon I am terrible at to a real battle.

This isn't realistic and it is kind of frustrating at the same time. I should be able to use my primary weapons in actual battle and practice using a sword in a low stakes environment on the side when I have the time for it. And if someone wants to spend hours grinding practice fights in the arena to level their combat skills super high before going into the field? Well, that is their choice. It seems like it'd be really boring to me but if that is their strategy then more power to them.

Charm should also level up from passing dialogue checks. It is weird that I've managed to negotiate six blood feuds and three eloping daughters into submission yet haven't gotten even a single exp to my charm skill at all.

I actually really like the new skill system, familiar enough to remember what skills they are attributed to, but different enough to feel new.

I just wish it was more clear on what activities give you XP and their rates. Right now grinding feels so slow and broken. I’m okay with a good grind but it just hasent hit a good balance yet.

I’d like maybe higher level requirements but much more frequent level achievements. Even when all four boosters on skills it feels slow.

With 30 hours on one character I feel like I should have 2-3 skills around 100-150 and the rest 25-50. Instead I have 1-2 skills 75-100 and the rest 10-40. The pacing seems off.

Currently the Game feels to grindy and killing enemies is unrewarding for you and your companions. Especially the leveling up for companions becomes almost Impossible, because they cant get sp as easy as a the player.
Also specializing companions is pretty difficult. Lets say you want an expert in 2h combat. Once they reached a high Level in like 2h weapons, they barely gain any more sp because it takes ages at high levels. To level up you basically need to level unneeded skills to gain new sp, such as 1h. To level 1h you actually need to spend focus points on it (my 2h guy was already capped at 1h).
Alse the random focus points for companions are a problem. Combat companion for example comes with 200 levels in 2h weapons, but only has 2 focus points in it. He is already capped and cant improve any further. Also leveling him with archery doesnt work, because he is capped there as well...
The current system forces you to not focus a character to level them.
Maybe you should level up with exp, rather then using skills. Using the skills could still improve these, so you still learn archeryby using bows and Trading buy doing trade.

Decent concept, absolutely atrocious implementation.

I would strongly prefer having experience pools back for a variety of reasons (like allowing my companions to actually potentially level up at some point, since all the companions in the game right now appear to have almost all of their skills already at their learning limit) not the least of which is the fact that forcing me to grind out levels in an inorganic fashion playing the game in ways I don't want to play in order to be allowed to continue to improve my character's capabilities in aspects of the game I do want to play is, frankly, terrible game design.

Back
Top Bottom