What do u think is missing for this game to have a soul?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dedicated Player made servers, that's what made Warband go on for so long and gave it a soul. While the SP is still being developed the Devs need to allow server creation for MP otherwise there'll be nothing for the MP mods to work with.

It's funny that I encounter so many elitist losers

Troll confirmed. All you do is attack. You saw my post in a thread where someone is asking for opinions to a question and you just cannot accept that someone has a different opinion than you. So all you have done is ranted and raved. You have not provided a single thing to refute my point. Too bad. Your feelings do not matter, you owning M&B is not a counter which is why you made a nice long post and LEFT OUT MY QUESTION you could have tried to answer to prove me wrong.

What did the previous M&Bs have that this one does not that would give it soul?

You wont even touch it, because there is nothing...and that is all that matters in this thread where the OP asks it. You are a troll, derailing and attacking people you dont agree with just like the other 2 arguing with me without refuting or answering the question...just attacking.

Dude, you´re only saying this because you´re not a real fan like him. Only he can decide what is right and what is wrong :wink: .

But for real, yes...in my opinion he is very offensive.

There is a small group of trolls here trying to derail a bunch of threads by calling people trolls. I reply once maybe twice until they fully prove themselves to be here just to derail topics and he is clearly one of them. Its all he does.

'Something' is indeed missing, not quite sure what. I think it's longevity, peace and a number of smaller pieces of content. The game needs to be slowed down, go on for longer. There needs to be longer periods of peace, with more to do during peace time. We need more interaction with the different lords, and there needs to be more unique dialogue with all the lords, more reactivity. We also need feasts.

I think these things would go a long way to add more soul to the game.

Name one single thing that was in M&B that is not in Bannerlord.
Name one single thing that was in Warband that is not in Bannerlord.
Name one single thing that was in NW that is not in Bannerlord other than guns and cannons which has not place in this games storyline
Name one single thing other than religions and ships that was in VC that is not in Bannerlord...

Warband
  • A natural and smooth game progression
  • An economy that makes sense
  • Useful and memorable companions
  • Feasts
  • Lords who remember past actions and comment on them
  • Courting ladies
  • Wedding scene
  • Convincing lords to support you for fief or marshal elections
  • Book sellers
  • Travellers
  • Belligerent drunks
  • Lord personalities affecting their behavior
  • Lord to lord relationships affecting their behavior
  • Basic diplomacy
  • Casus belli
  • Talking peasants and bandits
  • Assassins ambushes
Viking Conquest:
  • The dog
  • Special locations like the Old Ruins, Hadrian's Wall, etc.
  • Interesting quests
  • Injuries and scars
  • Weapon breaking/ weapon repair-improvement
  • Outlaw-friendly playstyles - markets at hideouts
  • Town rebellions
  • Happy Widows
  • Human sacrifice
That's what I could think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

There comes a point in every discussion where you either reach consensus or you agree to disagree. Going beyond that point only yields fruitless dispute and produces nothing of value to either side.
It's fairly obvious that some of you may not agree with the others opinion, so I highly recommend to stop expanding your rhetoric in an undesirable manner.

It is your own imagination that make sanboxes great. This game is no less than Warband, but people were probably expecting more in terms of storyline.

You need to create your own goals. If you want to blob, then go ahead no one is stopping you.

If you want more interesting experience, I think playing as vassal and staying as it is would be more exciting due to power dynamics and politics.

Maybe creating a kingdom shouldn't be that easy.

I think you replied to the wrong person. You made the argument I have been making through-out the thread.

Warband
  • A natural and smooth game progression. Did not have this
  • An economy that makes sense Did not have this
  • Useful and memorable companions Subjective to the individual and also vastly limited which is why most mods had more/better
  • Feasts OMG, feasts!
  • Lords who remember past actions and comment on them which came after patches, not at release
  • Courting ladies Came after patches, not at reelase...was actually created first by a modder.
  • Wedding scene Yes, it had a 5 second wedding...
  • Convincing lords to support you for fief or marshal elections Fief support now comes with influence, they already said marshals are coming.
  • Book sellers Bonuses are not yet implimented
  • Travellers NPC locators cant be put in yet because the spawning system isnt finished.
  • Belligerent drunks Bar fights that only happened at the begining (and stopped being a challenge once you got a WEAPON) of the game and stopped once you became famous?!?
  • Lord personalities affecting their behavior Was not in Warband, ever.
  • Lord to lord relationships affecting their behavior Was always horrible in M&B
  • Basic diplomacy It has basic diplomacy now, advanced diplomacy in Warband came from the diplomacy mod.
  • Casus belli Was not in basic Warband, it was in mods.
  • Talking peasants and bandits Wut?!?
  • Assassins ambushes Ambushes are not in game yet.
Viking Conquest:
  • The dog You actually think a pet that does nothing is this games missing soul?!? Also, we already have a mod that allows riding a dog and official tools would allow us to create a dog companion since dogs are actually in the game...
  • Special locations like the Old Ruins, Hadrian's Wall, etc. There are already things in game that have no use yet like dungeons and caves showing more is coming and with official tools we could already be filling those locations with things to do without needing to wait for TW to do it.
  • Interesting quests There was never an interesting quest in the history of M&B outside of mods (subjective). They were all generic in the base game.
  • Injuries and scars This is a good one but we have no idea if its going to be implimented by release or not. And we already have a mod that adds something close.
  • Weapon breaking/ weapon repair-improvement Already stated it was coming.
  • Outlaw-friendly playstyles - markets at hideouts You can already play a bandit and there are several mods that expand on it greatly like scum and villainy.
  • Town rebellions your town will rebel already if you let the security get low and food to run out...
  • Happy Widows This is an utterly stupid thing to mention being missing...
  • Human sacrifice which has no place in Calradia at this time period. Viking Conquest was set in the real world.
That's what I could think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Answers in red. All you got right for Warband was feasts and a wedding scene. The rest was from mods or was pure BS/subjective or came via patches after release. As for Vikings Conquest, there is a reason why there are few mods for it, all the added garbage made the code convoluted and difficult to create for.

All I am getting out of this is that you want a complete game now and are going to compare this current state to years worth of improvements and mods in an old game. The thread asks a simple question. What would give this game a SOUL. It is not a thread about you telling someone else their opinion is right or wrong. With the official tools, we can make every single thing on your list above, faster and better than TW can and we can make far more, far faster with everyone building off of others ideas...no waiting for TW to do it. Fix the current game,get it running smoothly and then get the hell out of our way and we will provide another 15 years worth of content just like last time.

The thread asks a simple question. What would give this game a SOUL. It is not a thread about you telling someone else their opinion is right or wrong.
I didn't say a single thing about anyone's opinion. You asked someone to name one single thing missing and I just listed a bunch off the top of my head. YOU are the one who's telling people their opinion is wrong. You even took the time to go line by line to dispute each item on the list because apparently I'm wrong to believe these things added a bit of charm and character to the prior games.

I didn't say a single thing about anyone's opinion. You asked someone to name one single thing missing and I just listed a bunch off the top of my head. YOU are the one who's telling people their opinion is wrong. You even took the time to go line by line to dispute each item on the list because apparently I'm wrong to believe these things added a bit of charm and character to the prior games.
Just ignore him, it´s a waste of time to discuss stuff with him.

Weapon breaking/ weapon repair-improvement
Injuries and scars
Ambushes
I'm fine with shields getting turned into splinters after many blows, but weapons breaking just as you are about to win a battle before taking an axe/arrow to the face is not exactly a good thing for a 'fun' game session, that's the kind of feature that should only be available in multiplayer unless the official modding tool can remove that handicap. Weapons and armor improvement however is most definitely something I can get behind for both SP and MP.
Injuries and scars are things you can get from mods, otherwise you can simply change your appearance in the character creation menu to fulfill your roleplaying desires.
Ambush is a good feature, but only if there are roads and landmark areas in the map where they can occur. The site where the Battle of Pendraic was fought on is one clear example of a landmark location in the map, or wherever the Imperial Capital of Baravenos used to be somewhere in Vlandia and the Western Empire Territory.

All in all I think TW is on the right track here, perhaps BL might just be able to surpass WB in terms of base content, mods, and re-playability. All that's needed is time and patience just like what most players are doing. It is disappointing but not surprising that there are some in here would rather play word games and mental gymnastics at others than to wait and see.

Well i think what happened is quite clear. Taleworld was in bad financial shape because they took too long to develop Bannerlord and were too amateurish to build it properly in the first place (maybe too much ambition for a studio of this size, too). So they had to build part of the game from scratch several times, and now we actually play a not finished game. Not just "nearly finished". But not finished at all. As said before -and I agree - it lacks two years before the game is complete.
What is most lacking ?
- Culture identity. Exactly. Maybe - i don't know - Sturgia should lure armies in the snow so they can wait and loose you and burn their village so you can't loot them until you have attrition and loose your soldier from cold and hunger (oh, attrition, what a good idea, btw, it could also help poor Sturgia from being crushed everytime). Or Battania should try guerrilla tactics (if troops had to actually sleep during the night maybe guerilla tacticts could exist ? then small troops could sacrifice themselves and inflict big damage to unprepared troops, using their knowledge of forest/mountain/whatever). Or anything ! For now as said, playing one faction or another doesn't make a big difference, because you can mix them as you want. Maybe you should have morale penalty for mixing cultures ? And what about "minor factions" ? Very good idea ! But for now it's useless. You don't feel their identity. The game should reward you for being focused on small cultures and fighting on your homeland and crush your morale as soon as you mix too much on the long run or be to far from your lands.
- Real Events. Real world. You don't feel you are part of the world, too, because nothing happens in it. You don't feel that "XXX has taken YYY". It's just a note displayed on your screen, but you actually don't care. The land should burn when you loot a village, and should see it burning from far away, and understand what "war" really is. Quests should also have a lot more variety and complexity, more than "bring me 20 cows please thanks". And your companion...well let's not talk about this.
- Some good ideas but unexploited. Lack of fun. Smithing is probably the best example. It was a very, very good idea to bring it to the game. But it lacks everything. For now it's just spamming a button to smelt, buying wood, smelting again, until you raise your level. Perks are also a very good idea, but mostly they don't change anything. You don't feel that the choices you made change anything to the way you play.
- I'm a fan of MB since 2009. I have played it a lot. A lot. How can it be that i feel bored to play it now ? Why am I not playing it right now and instead posting this ? The game lacks a purpose. You are here with your army in the middle of the land and you just don't care anymore.
The frame is here, but you don't feel the rush. I don't feel anything. There is nothing to discover, no secret island full of raging naked barbarians, no dangerous cave with ancient artefacts, no retired sacred place where you can convert to an old random cult, no secret hatred and revenge between two families i could relate to.
Well, you could say "hey, man, there is nothing of this sort in WB, many of the thing you say were already true in WB". It's true. Well in some mods there was more, and some were really goob. But ok, it's true.

And so ? This is a sequel, why should I have "less than" or "as bad as" in the first game ? I want more, i want better, not less. I mean, look at Warcraft 3 vs Warcraft 2 or Crusader Kings 2 vs Crusader Kings 1. It's the same genre, but is it just "the same game with better graphics" ? After 10 years we shouldn't just expect this.

For now, it's just the same Warband, and nice graphics, and empty frames.
Sorry for being too long, sorry for my english, too.

Last edited:
I didn't say a single thing about anyone's opinion

You took my questions to another person which in context was just what I said. You choosing to ignore the context is your choice

YOU are the one who's telling people their opinion is wrong.

You making a list stating things were in Warband and they were not. Claiming a thing was in the game that is not, is not giving your opinion. Also, your reply was to me directly, not to the OP and thus you were posting to me as part of a discussion..if you cant even understand those two simple things, there is no hope for you.

I'm fine with shields getting turned into splinters after many blows, but weapons breaking just as you are about to win a battle before taking an axe/arrow to the face is not exactly a good thing for a 'fun' game session, that's the kind of feature that should only be available in multiplayer unless the official modding tool can remove that handicap. Weapons and armor improvement however is most definitely something I can get behind for both SP and MP.
Injuries and scars are things you can get from mods, otherwise you can simply change your appearance in the character creation menu to fulfill your roleplaying desires.
Ambush is a good feature, but only if there are roads and landmark areas in the map where they can occur. The site where the Battle of Pendraic was fought on is one clear example of a landmark location in the map, or wherever the Imperial Capital of Baravenos used to be somewhere in Vlandia and the Western Empire Territory.

All in all I think TW is on the right track here, perhaps BL might just be able to surpass WB in terms of base content, mods, and re-playability. All that's needed is time and patience just like what most players are doing. It is disappointing but not surprising that there are some in here would rather play word games and mental gymnastics at others than to wait and see.

Well, too much realism can be bad for some, this is true. That would be where a on/off option would come in which is welcome in all games like this. Also, I actually brought up the mod for scars/injuries to him to show him its already available and we dont need TW to make it for us. As for ambushes, yes one could hope its reliant on the terrain aspects.

Not sure why you have your ending, perhaps you replied to the wrong person? You seem to be mirroring my posts.I have no issues with the game because its early access and I have little doubt TW will have implemented much more by release. My posts show that I am sick of hearing people acting like this game should have all the features of a completed game and making the boards a living hell with complaints about it does nothing but drive a wedge in the community. This board is for general discussion, the Feedback/Suggestions board is for stuff like complaints and bigger complaints...perhaps if they did, they would see the sticky with the current roadmap of features coming shortly which is actually some of the things mentioned to me that is missing like the quests and storyline, economy, consequences...

'Something' is indeed missing, not quite sure what. I think it's longevity, peace and a number of smaller pieces of content. The game needs to be slowed down, go on for longer. There needs to be longer periods of peace, with more to do during peace time. We need more interaction with the different lords, and there needs to be more unique dialogue with all the lords, more reactivity. We also need feasts.

I think these things would go a long way to add more soul to the game.

This^....There needs to be more to do than a battle simulator.

It's pretty hard to answer given that the game is clearly not finished and is missing both some of the planned basic features and a lot of the fluff. Now I actually think it's fair for adrakken to point out that warband was also very barebones at release, and bannerlord will probably be as well.

I do hope the vanilla experience ends up being fun though, it's a sequel and it should have more content and features at release than it's predecessor.

Now the good news is that by the looks of it this client and engine will be even more mod friendly than warband was, and there is already tons of mods despite the tools not being out yet. You can actually already improve the gameplay quite a bit with mods, it's just a bit annoying to try and do that when patches are still changing things enough to break mods left and right as the game updates, but I think that as the game becomes more stable we'll get more and more ambitious mods to flesh the game out even long before release.

Some things are worrying that may be a bit tricky to completely fix with mods, primarily the battle AI is very bad. I'm sure there will be battle AI mods as well at some point but I do think it's important to have a competent battle AI in vanilla too. I'm also disappointed that the battlefield control UI is still as clunky and blunt as it was in warband. We should be able to control our units much more fluidly and with more advanced tactics, and it wouldn't hurt to have some kind of RTS view and control alternative for those who prefer to focus on the strategy rather than the first person combat.

The game certainly isn't very fun yet.

Some things are worrying that may be a bit tricky to completely fix with mods, primarily the battle AI is very bad. I'm sure there will be battle AI mods as well at some point but I do think it's important to have a competent battle AI in vanilla too. I'm also disappointed that the battlefield control UI is still as clunky and blunt as it was in warband. We should be able to control our units much more fluidly and with more advanced tactics, and it wouldn't hurt to have some kind of RTS view and control alternative for those who prefer to focus on the strategy rather than the first person combat.

The game certainly isn't very fun yet.

This would not just be a logical step of improvement from warband, but also add a lot to immersion, since you could adjust your playstyle much more, leading to using faction or army specific tactics rather than the standard key combinations.

However this is not the job of modders, and it's sad that they created solutions to so many heavy problems in such a short time while TW did rarely manage to get out some fixes. Modders can build around something that is already there, it's not their job to finish a game.
If it was, i would like to get half of my money back and give it to them, please :smile:

One of the things I said that would make the game better / more immersive was to have a bodyguard
Theres now a body guard Mod called Generals Bodyguards
You get a number of bodyguards depending on your level they also carry some flags

Just tried it and its cool
I no longer worry when a lone horseman heads towards me,
they help if I'm attacked and provide more targets if archers fire I dont get all the arrows aimed at me
I dont know if they'll give me a horse if I lose mine thats not happened yet but I suppose I can order them to dismount and take one

It's pretty hard to answer given that the game is clearly not finished and is missing both some of the planned basic features and a lot of the fluff. Now I actually think it's fair for adrakken to point out that warband was also very barebones at release, and bannerlord will probably be as well.

I don´t agree with this point. You shouldn´t compare the second title of a series with the first title which was released a long time ago.

You won´t compare GTA 6 with GTA 1 when it comes out or will you?

We all thought we get an improved Warband game. The graphics and battles are better than in Warband, but that´s what I expected.

I thought they´ll build up on Warband, like we get most of the Warband (in it´s finished state) features and more.

This^....There needs to be more to do than a battle simulator.
Yeah it really does need to more than just a battle simulator. Listening to the in-game music in Warband, attending a feast, joining a tournament in said town, rejoining the feast. Buying/selling stuff in that town, doing some quests for nearby villages, all the while listening to the great music. It was a fantastic feeling. And then a war was declared and it really felt like a big event, like something important. This feeling is missing in Bannerlord, because wars are a constant, you have no "connection" to the lords of the realm, peacetime doesn't allow you to do anything you wouldn't have the time to do otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom