What be on yer noggin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TitanToe said:
Aye, even though I hate how those K's sound it's waaay better when you have something to distinguish it from a normal "k", does Swedish have something similar or is it just a guessing game? :Þ
We don't, but most words are known for the native speakers, so it's rarely a problem. :Þ

Ambalon said:
It's funny you do that observation using English of all languages.

edit - directed at gestricicucius
Well, French has influenced the English language in huge amounts, and I would say that the French love to make words look good rather than to make them easier to pronounce.  :razz:

Edit : It has been brought to my attention that Danish "Gøre" and "Kød" are both pronounced with hard G's and K's respectively. Please excuse this mistake.

French can be a ***** in the ass sometimes. Atleast they have a verb for hitting someone with your penis, it recuperates some of the damage it does to you whilst you try to wrap your head around the Subjective form. anything besides the bare grammatical minimum.

Gestricius said:
Edit : It has been brought to my attention that Danish "Gøre" and "Kød" are both pronounced with hard G's and K's respectively. Please excuse this mistake.

I didn't even notice you put Danish examples there. But yes, this is one of the few things Danish does right! :Þ

Gestricius said:
TitanToe said:
and some of their k's I think Norwegian is your best bet.
Norwegians do this too, but they have something to distinguish it from a K-sound by putting a j in front of the word.

Examples : Meat.
Danish : Kød
Swedish : Kött
Norwegian : Kjøtt

Drive.
Danish : Kør.
Swedish : Kör
Norwegian : Kjør.

This also applies to both Norwegians and Fenno-Swedes when it comes to hard and soft G's.

To do.
Danish : Gøre
Swedish : Göra
Norwegian : Gjøre
Fenno-Swedish : Gjöra.
Dammit man, you're supposed to teach him rude words, not normal ones! :evil:

I met a Colombian guy the other day. he told me that students and union leaders are still being disappeared there. that was very shocking.
he laid says that the referendum was bad for corrupted politicians and guerrilleros

as in one day they go missing forever and authorities claim to know nothing
I think everyone knew when you went to ГУЛАГ, and the press informed it when you decided to kill yourself out of love for Stalin :^) might be wrong tho.

I think that only happens in stalinism because every little thing has to be justified as a direct benefit to or result of the advance towards communism. These big fat postmodern dictatorships don't follow such petty concerns.

I didn't know Colombia was that bad though, that's messed up. Some of these surviving communist dictatorships are pretty scary.

jacobhinds said:
I think that only happens in stalinism because every little thing has to be justified as a direct benefit to or result of the advance towards communism. These big fat postmodern dictatorships don't follow such petty concerns.

I didn't know Colombia was that bad though, that's messed up. Some of these surviving communist dictatorships are pretty scary.

Colombia is neither communist nor a dictatorship. Nor did it ever claim to be- its a republic with elected presidents. And I don't mean that in the sense of how North Korea claims to be democratic, I mean it actually holds elections people vote in. A drug cartel lord once tried to run as president there, Pablo Escobar.

Its just a really ****ty place to live full of drug cartels and guerrillas, and paramilitaries.

Government on wikipedia is classed as a Unitary presidential constitutional republic with a parliament like structure, house of commons and a senate.

I think it's in Chile where a former dictator of the country is a legit presidential candidate, imagine that. :lol:

The 'despariciones' (because the phenomenon is so much a part of cultural memory that it has a name) happened in most of Latin America, ex-communist or not. It's just what repressive governments do. Students and stuff are still disappearing in Mexico too and there's been drama about it, but the news doesn't cover it often.

Hello folks!

This thread has earned a special prize! It will be locked soon. Yes, you've heard it right, it's that time of the forum season again where we need to be locking threads that have surpassed a certain point. It has been explained to me that large threads such as this one create additional strain on the server when they're viewed regularly. So this time around, we'll only be locking these threads and letting them die a slow death instead of deleting them completely. You can still look and find old sick burns or juicy dramas if your search skills are up to notch.

We normally took 1000 pages as a basis but some of the Fun Stuff Regular threads have surpassed 1500 while others haven't reached 1000 yet. We'll be restarting them as they come close to a 1000.

Here's the new thread, for the tired and weary who just keep up with the youngsters spamming the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom