What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, I know almost nothing about Warhammer. The bookstore I buy my books from just got a massive haul of Warhammer books, tons of them and they sell it 2€ per book, which is REALLY cheap, so I figured I should ask around what books to buy.  :smile:

Read the first chapter of Sharpe's Tiger last night.

Love how Hakeswill is in it so early on, end up subconciously putting Pete Postlewaites voice to all his lines. It's good so far, but already ran into the ball-in-mouth meme whilst loading. On the whole it's pretty great so far.

Finished up the last of the Horus Heresy novels before the siege of terra (to be started this march), Titandeath and Buried Dagger. Plus a bunch of shorts.

Titandeath was an ok novel. It spent most of the time detailing the background of this all female titan legion, some of its rivalries with other legions, and what not. The actual battle in beta garmon doesnt seems to be focus. It does have some cool titan x titan action and some interesting adeptus mechanicus parts. The portrayal of Sanguinius though was rather disappointing. Not the best of the Horus Heresy novels, id say about low to mid tier.

On Sanguinius...
Sanguinius and the Khan get into the system, and Sanguinius takes complete control of all imperium forces in beta garmon. He makes a huge blunder though and deploys most of his forces in one of the planets, Horus outplays him and the imperium loses immediately and has to retreat out of the system, opening the path to Terra. Quite weird to think that Dorn's muster -from afar- of all titan legions and other assets in the system was actually handling it without any central coordination, but when Sanguinius took the reins it all went kaput.  Then it ends with Sanguinius blaming himself, and everyone else including the Khan basically saying "dont cry it isnt your fault"

The Buried Dagger was good. Half of it details the capture of the death guard by Nurgle AND Mortarion's past in Barbarus, and the other half is about the knights errant and Malcador. However, for Death Guard fans it might be disappointing, as at least for me the better part was the one about the knights Errant. Malcador, Garviel Loken and Nathaniel Garro are featured quite heavily and i felt some nostalgia from books 1 to 4 of the series. All in all its a reasonable 3.5/5 or 4/5 ending to the Horus Heresy Series, the final book 54.

Heavy spoilers about the book
Loken and Garro were quite awesome, they both do NOT join the Grey knights, but instead its implied they join Euphrati Keeler and the other loyal death guards in Terra (those that arrived with garro in the eisenstein), and for the first time they have no masters. Malcador takes the other chosen 8 Knights errant (loken was to be the ninth, but refused) and go through a webway portal under terra towards Titan to start the Grey Knights.

On the Death guard part. I felt that Mortarion was too lost or clueless through out the book. Typhon arms a trap for the death guard and him so that Nurgle can get hold of them all, and Mortarion falls onto it easily without questioning anything. Then when finally he grows some sense, its all done and he ends pledging himself to Nurgle quite quickly.

Also read some Horus Heresy Short Stories, the best one was Now Peals Midnight - John French. Just some 15 pages. It depicts the last hours before the traitor fleet arrives in the solar system, and it was quite awesome, showing the calm before the storm, Dorn and the Fists getting ready, and the anticipation that is felt by everyone in the solar system, space marines, humans and the primarchs.

Basically, im ready with that siege of terra HYPE
sddefault.jpg

A friend of mine described that as a blend of Brother Cadfael and Game of Thrones minus the interesting parts of both, with a lot of surreal stuff thrown in. Cannot say if that's true, however, I haven't read it.

Religions of the Old Slavs - Guide for Confused (rough translation, don't think it was published abroad) by D. A. Sikorski. It's mostly a critical look at what we know and what was made up on the spot, or carried too far by enthusiasts, it's a slow read, but I enjoy it. I thought it would be a bit more neutral in its analysis, as it brings to the spotlight two conflicting ideas (the notion that Slavs never had a chance to evolve complex religion vs. them having a mythology easily comparable to Greeks, Romans etc.), but author makes it clear on which side he seats. Love the passive-aggressive tone in the introduction, though (again, pardon my rough translation):
Until recently, I thought turboslavizm could be ignored. Today I have different opinion, because the crowd of its supporters grows and it even entered academic discourse*.

* - As an example stands PhD thesis (that means supervisor, two reviewers and couple of committee members - each of them an independent research fellow) by Piotr Makuch, From Aryans to Sarmatians. Unknown 2500 years of Poles' History, Kraków 2013.
You can almost hear the eyes rolling.

Antonis said:
A friend of mine described that as a blend of Brother Cadfael and Game of Thrones minus the interesting parts of both, with a lot of surreal stuff thrown in. Cannot say if that's true, however, I haven't read it.
Doesn’t sound accurate. Not really surreal and can’t see the resemblance between GoT and this if GoT books are like the series.(maybe point of view characters)

Back
Top Bottom