What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Reminds me once again how easy it is to read his books. And how uninteresting the story is and how unlikeable the main chararacter. Bleh.

I believe I read some of the first chapter but then had stop because of what seemed like some fantasy rip off of jedis. But I may be remembering the wrong series, and I've heard it is good. Which is why I thought about reading it. But bleh.

Personally I reaaallly loved Mistborn. The magic system is definitely one of the best aspects but I loved the psychology of the main characters, especially Vin's transformation over the course of the series. Then again I'm a sucker for tomboyish/strong females in fantasy books. (cf Arya in A Song of Fire and Ice) But I really liked all the psychological aspect of the books, even for secondary characters. It's also much less black&white than typical fantasy, which is always good for me.

On-topic, I recently bought the third book of the Twilight Reign fantasy series by Tom Lloyd, although I haven't started reading it yet so it doesn't fit the thread completely. :p Excellent series imo, reminds me a bit of Gemmell at times, there are quite a few similarities between Isak and Connavar I think. However I'm a bit scared to read it because it'll be the first time I read it in English, since apparently Orbit stopped translating it in my mothertongue (French), I guess it didn't sell enough copies. And the last time I tried to read a book in English, it went very, very badly. (it was the sequel to the Prince of Nothing, although I think The Twilight Reign is much more accessible, I struggled a bit with the Prince of Nothing even when reading it in French...)

Just finished "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" by David Mitchell.
    And now I haven´t got a cleu on what to start next... Just got myself trough the first few pages of "The Stand" by Stephen King. Don´t think I´ll keep reading it.
Any REAL books I really have to read?

.... Pretty please?

N00TER said:
Just finished "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" by David Mitchell.
    And now I haven´t got a cleu on what to start next... Just got myself trough the first few pages of "The Stand" by Stephen King. Don´t think I´ll keep reading it.
Any REAL books I really have to read?

.... Pretty please?

If it's not the unabridged edition of The Stand then drop it. If it is the unabridged edition, continue reading, it's quite the rewarding book in my opinion. If you're looking for a good read though, I have in the past and still will say Catch-22 is a great read if you've never read it before. Easily one of my favourite books.

Just finished Forge Of Darkness, by Steven Erikson, it is a masterpiece, it explains so much about the main series, but it also just gives you more questions, more things to look out for, I'm starting a Re-read of Midnight tides as that concentrates on the Tiste Edur, and there is a character named Arahathan...interesting indeed.

Si-A-erra. said:
Just finished Forge Of Darkness, by Steven Erikson, it is a masterpiece, it explains so much about the main series, but it also just gives you more questions, more things to look out for, I'm starting a Re-read of Midnight tides as that concentrates on the Tiste Edur, and there is a character named Arahathan...interesting indeed.

It didn't really explain anything to me. More like it started giving me some answers, then the book suddenly ended. Can't wait for the next one. I do love how even so far back in the past, Jaghuts are still kind of ancient history. :lol:

'If on a Winters Night a Traveller...' by Italo Calvino for the second time. I love it.

Has anyone read anything else by him that they can recommend?

Gestricius said:
Jock said:
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Complete Sherlock Holmes.  Almost 1100 pages.  :cool:
I have both of those books, actually. :lol:

I've been reading Lieutenant Hornblower, by C.S. Forester. I've seen the (iffy) TV series Hornblower, but this is the first time I've gotten far into one of the books. 

Every series I've been reading is currently not out with a new book.
And then they'll all release right one after another from May to July. >.>

Fine, let's go to the backlog, huh? Sharpe, here we go.

Also randomly found these stats on Wiki for the Malazan series (only counting the books of the main storyline by Erikson)
Pages: 11,147
Words: 3,300,026
Published over a time of 11 years, 10 months, 14 days

Yay.

Back
Top Bottom