Western European Countries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sergeant Tristan said:
Swedes? Legendary? Heh.

Well, Gustavus Adolphus was and is still considered a myth. Napoleon itself thought he was one of best, along with Caesar and Alexander the Great. Yet, he enlarged the number of musketeers due to lack of money and proper equipment for the pikes and for them applied successfully lessons learned from the dutch such as longer but less deep ranks, the continuos rate of fire, the volley fire. The training itself was based on the De Gheyn's manual. :wink:

His reputation was greater than the man himself?

Volley 'fire' goes back to the Roman Legions & their pilum, the Normanz & their massed archers, English/Welsh Longbowman & European Crossbowmen. The use of missile/ranged weapons in concentrated groups firing at the same time is an old concept & probably goes back beyond the Roman Legions.

Hehe, we never tried to say that he invented volley fire. :wink: That was some person here who said the Dutch invented it.

Woah, woah, woah, halt the ignorance, gentlemen! If you really think that you were the first to invent volley fire, then I fear that I just got a new argument against legalising drugs! :wink:

Haresus said:
Woah, woah, woah, halt the ignorance, gentlemen! If you really think that you were the first to invent volley fire, then I fear that I just got a new argument against legalising drugs! :wink:

Even though we should still legalise them.  :smile:

Don´t know much about the eastern factions but I feel that adding more western factions is kinda pointless. French, Austrian or Swedish troops looked and fought pretty much the same way(at least to the extent a mod should be concerned).

In the later stages of 30 years war, there were hardly any Swedish troops in the Swedish army left, since troops were recruited ad hoc and therefore mostly German. The same goes for French, Spanish or Austrian troops. If you were to randomly pick 100 men from any army in the 30 years war, you would be likely to find more than 15 different nationalities.

To refer to an army at this age as "Swedish" or "French" only makes sense in that it is an army fighting for the interests of the Swedish or French king(often enough not even that).

Talking about a nation in the modern sense doesn´t make any sense at least up to the French Revolution. We have a generic Western army which should be enough to represent Western Europe.

Well, I was reading almost the whold thread and as a suggestion, I'd say let the mod be as It is. In my opinion, the mod is really good. I agree with adding the Russian faction or Moscovia, but Western factions... just cos Spaniards would like to play with Spanish units, or English with English units and so on... Its a mod based in a concrect period of time and in a concret zone. Let it as It is. You devs did so fantastic work with this mod, don't ruin it adding some new factions that don't have anything to do with the period and the zone just cos some players would like to play with their nation. Keep on with the good work You are doing :wink: Greetings.

Garcilasso said:
Well, I was reading almost the whold thread and as a suggestion, I'd say let the mod be as It is. In my opinion, the mod is really good. I agree with adding the Russian faction or Moscovia, but Western factions... just cos Spaniards would like to play with Spanish units, or English with English units and so on... Its a mod based in a concrect period of time and in a concret zone. Let it as It is. You devs did so fantastic work with this mod, don't ruin it adding some new factions that don't have anything to do with the period and the zone just cos some players would like to play with their nation. Keep on with the good work You are doing :wink: Greetings.
there are currently no other mods from this time period and a mod dosnt have to be limmeted by realism... i doubt that britain fought a massive battle against prussia but ive done that in a mod anyway

Back
Top Bottom