Welsh factions AI too powerful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi I've just started playing this mod and I really like the gameplay. However I've encountered this one problem which kinda annoys me, although I'm not sure if it is worth discussing.

I'm currently on day 380, still independent and owning no fiefs or territories, only a few factories, and guess what - most Germanic factions (Essex, Sussex, Kent, East Anglia, Mercia) have already been wiped out by Welsh factions (mainly Gwent). Bernicia is now the last remaining Germanic faction and it too is being squeezed out slowly.

It's not that I personally favour any of the factions in the game, but given what that has actually happened in history as we know it, it just feels a bit weird to continue playing in such a environment. It seems another King Arthur is in the forming by itself, so what am I supposed to do next? Is this just pure coincidence? Has this happened to any of you also?

I just thought that without the player's intervention the overall trend of history should at least somehow be reflected in the game, since this mod boosts accurate rendering of faction leader personality and behaviour according to historians' accounts.

p.s. while Kentware was being hit hard I checked it's war status and it turned out they was at war with every single faction in game at that time. that's clearly unrealistic. I can't imagine what kind of dumb king could lead a realm into such a situation?

It's pretty random regarding to which factions gain power and which lose it. I have personally never seen aggressive expansion from the Welsh in my games, but I've seen Germanic factions and Picts conquer tons of land.

It does make the game a bit strange at times, but it increases the replay value immensely, since you can never know which faction is going to become a greater power.

I have always seen one of the various Brythonic factions do exceedingly well in the long run; not sue if it is any imbalance or just positioning as much as anything.

As opposed to Native things will start happening quite quickly even if you don't do anything. Most small factions should get wiped out in the first 300 days. I haven't encountered any specific trends as to which faction would get the upper hand. It might not be historical but gameplay-wise it's good that none of the factions are too favored even if it comes at the expense of immersion.

In my games, usually Mierce is doing very well from the beginning.
Only once I start joining the fray on the side of a smaller faction I am able to rein in their expansion.  :grin:
Whereas Welsh factions remain for a long time stable, neither being conquered or really on the attacking side.
How bad or good a faction fares depends in my experience often on how heavy their casualities are in skirmishes and battles.
It often depends whether the king of an enemy faction joins the fray. They usually have the bigges impact with their 400+ men.

Never seen the Welsh win and I've played many games now.  :shock: They did expand once but were beaten down by Seals-Ey. It is completely random as to who gains dominance. I find when lords start to leave factions for others, that's when power starts to shift.

the picts always seem to expand pretty rapidly through the north: Goutodin, Dal riata, Alt Cuit once even down to Crafu and Rheged, never seen Dal riada do well. . .

my games are ussualy similar: after one year, there are two strong irish factions (dal riata always destroyed ), on the north britannia fortriu/picts is dominant (gododin ussualy destroyed). In england is situation a little bit complicated: meirce and their allies waging war with bernaccia and their allies. in most cases bernaccia is beaten and destroyed eventually. When mierce grow too much other factions declared war on them, thus reduce mierce power. in this phase minor factions like east engla, east seaxna, gewissae, ceredigion and brycheiniog are ussualy defeated. in most cases welsh factions are not dominant

I'm around day three hundred and still a merc, but in my game Mierce is about twice its starting size but all the welsh are about where they start. Haven't explored Ireland though so can't say there.

Seems Prgwern and Mierce doing Ok usually, Welsh expand if they get allied to someone, so normally they gain land from Fortriu and in Ireland. Basically, whoever gets too big is get ganged up on and then you end up with that patchwork.

I don´t see a general pattern in this. In my game, beside all smaller factions like lagain or ceredigion being wiped out, Mierce, Gwisseae and Gwent grew strong. Anfter I founded my kingdom on Gwissea soil, the tide has turned - right now, Mierce is being beaten by a coalition of Bernaccia, Alt Clut and some of the welsh factions, while the former prospering east seaxe have been eliminated.

When my brother started playing, I warned him about Mierce, their strnght in numbers and soldiers, but in his game they nearly got wiped out before day 200. So, there really seems to be no constant.

I would love it if it was harder to eliminate a faction completely. The minor kingdoms should have some opportunities :wink:
Another funny thing are the kingsoms that reapearr. No matter where they had been before they were conquered and destroyed, they always come back to life in my territory, stealing my castles and cities without a fight and taking all men guarding them. This is kind of frustrating; for example, Hwicce reappeared in Cisse Castle, far from their old homeland.

saxons/angles should be more strong!
i would hate to see e.g. mierce disappear from the map (realism thing and so on) - even if i do nothing then fighting them in my games.
no ****, keep these factions as strong as possible, Brytenwalda needs not only the time frame and "realistic textures and models", but also the "right" history.
at least by trend...
(my opinion)

Funny, because Mierce was, until recently, the strongest faction by far on my map. But they got into a three front war and have lost almost all the territory they took and some of their original territory. I think they are down to one town now (and I'm about to siege it and start my own faction). Probably didn't help them that I captured quite a few of their lords and held them for months... And captured their leader (decimating the 400+ man army). I got nearly 20k for the leader... Booya!

It's either Mierce or Est Engla whoever wins that war becomes very strong

Idibil said:
are you sure? I have saw savegames where mierce is very strong.

i had already two  games where mierce was deleted from the map - by other factions, not by me.
well of course there are so many factors which influence the interaction and the increase or decline of a faction.
and i know its maybe not scriptable to give certain factions certain tendencies.

its more like a wish that factions behave/expand accurately historically.
plus as a briton warlord i just love the challenge to fight strong saxon opponents  :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom