Defeated Factions Don’t Die

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottysaved

Recruit
In Warband, a defeated faction would eventually defect, split up, and then the faction would be defeated. In this game, Bannerlord, I’ve run the Stugians down to ZERO territories… and yet, they continue to hang out in the north, recruiting endless amounts of recruits, and keep burning my villages over & over again. Why can’t they just disband? The faction is clearly defeated. Instead, they roam in my lands and ultimately force me to return home at times to regain loyalty & food production in my towns up there. It’s ridiculous man. Why can’t the defeated factions disband or collapse? Or split up and defect?

Factions get destroyed after losing all their holdings in beta patch 1.2. In the case that you're playing on console or unable to switch to the beta branch, patch 1.2 is planned to be moved to live sometime in November.

I thought eventually you would have to execute them towards the late endgame. I have the same issue with the Battanians. They got pushed out by Valandia, took a Sturgeon town, lost that then came back to mess with my newly taken Valandian lands so I eventually thought I would have to kill them off eventually.

Factions get destroyed after losing all their holdings in beta patch 1.2. In the case that you're playing on console or unable to switch to the beta branch, patch 1.2 is planned to be moved to live sometime in November.
Thank you! Yes, I am on Series X, so it must not have come out yet for us. Glad that’s in the pipeline. I appreciate it!

I thought eventually you would have to execute them towards the late endgame. I have the same issue with the Battanians. They got pushed out by Valandia, took a Sturgeon town, lost that then came back to mess with my newly taken Valandian lands so I eventually thought I would have to kill them off eventually.
That’s been the case so far, at least for consoles… but the above comment mentioned there is an update coming for us to fix this. 😊

Yeah, the upcoming update's when I plan on coming back to Bannerlord since it fixes pretty much all the problems I had back at the beginning of the year and adds cool new stuff as well. My solution last year was just to ignore them (while maintaining war forever) since they eventually became too weak to actually take any territories after a while (unless you made peace--in that case, they'd have time to regrow and make sieges) but it wasn't great since it made me sad to see my big fancy capital city turned into a desolate wasteland due to endless terrorism by the former regime.

Yeah, the upcoming update's when I plan on coming back to Bannerlord since it fixes pretty much all the problems I had back at the beginning of the year and adds cool new stuff as well. My solution last year was just to ignore them (while maintaining war forever) since they eventually became too weak to actually take any territories after a while (unless you made peace--in that case, they'd have time to regrow and make sieges) but it wasn't great since it made me sad to see my big fancy capital city turned into a desolate wasteland due to endless terrorism by the former regime.
Man when I tell you...I thought my console was glitching when my city turned into literal sticks and stones. There needs to be more diplomatic options, such as peace treaties, marriages should carry more weight and I don't care what anyone says but either make my kids culture 50/50 between the parents a mixture of both or just let me choose and then the army spawn rate....especially with Valandia.....I just took out two 2,000 man armies and their generals have yet to escape how is there another 1400 army bearing down on me again?

Man when I tell you...I thought my console was glitching when my city turned into literal sticks and stones. There needs to be more diplomatic options, such as peace treaties, marriages should carry more weight and I don't care what anyone says but either make my kids culture 50/50 between the parents a mixture of both or just let me choose and then the army spawn rate....especially with Valandia.....I just took out two 2,000 man armies and their generals have yet to escape how is there another 1400 army bearing down on me again?
Culture used to be derived from the mother, which led to future generations of nobles being rather diverse. I enjoyed that and played with it by having my OG male marry a woman of another culture, then continue as their daughter (since women can't be arranged to marry without them leaving so you maximize family members by playing as your daughters/granddaughters/etc.) to have kids of that culture who can maintain loyalty of said culture's cities. Now it's derived from the father, which will change how I play since, as much as I enjoy being a Battanian, I think they have the worst aesthetics in clothes, hairs, etc. and would rather have my kids dress up like Vlandians, Imperials, Aserai, Khuzaits, or literally anything else since you can't just take your kids to a barber when they grow up.

I definitely agree about marriage arrangements; I'd prefer it if clans could be independently allied with one another and for that to carry real gameplay weight. You'd have an actual reason to send out women from your family rather than horde them while hoping for boys who can bring more women in to expand your family. I'm more lukewarm about diplomacy because I'm concerned about it being too easy to exploit and enjoy the chaotic uncertainty. A simple compromise would be Warband's 30 day guaranteed peace for every truce.

As for dealing with big armies, that's best done by beating them. Usually, wars go in waves; the first wave is their best and largest while successive waves get smaller and weaker. After about 3 big battles they should be pretty weak, especially if your faction is strong enough to counter-invade them. It's usually around this time that peace becomes preferable by the A.I.--if I remember right--so it tends to be a repeating loop until you're in charge or the balance of power shifts enough that your side can overrun theirs (or the opposite).

A more guerilla strategy is to squat near allied villages, wait for them to be attacked, and then pounce on the raiders; this'll work down the enemy invaders and you can also bait and distract enemy army groups until they run out of Morale and disintegrate into individual warbands again (at which point, they can be intimidated into running away in all directions unless you get too close to enough of them that they decide to converge on you).

Waiting for 1.2 to reach main too and glad they are changing this aspect but a better RP solution would be to "kill" them off but if the AI or player ever lost control of a capital (Marunath, Lycaron, etc) then it would have a 50% chance of bringing the faction back (instead of the "X's Rebels). If any of the old clans from that faction were still around, each would have a chance of immediately converting back to that faction. An attempt to give second life to those dead factions without them being a nuisance to the player.

Yeah, I more or less agree since it's cool to see factions reconstituted when it's not happening due to perpetual badgering of hinterland settlements. I also think the rebel factions ought to have proper names (especially the clans) and wonder why TaleWorlds didn't just have them pull from the same random naming list human players can draw from when creating their own characters. Much better than "X's Clan" for a clan name, especially when X's clans often displace properly named ones over time (which isn't a bad thing; the bad thing is not having a real name).

True, the X's clan name should be replaced with proper faction names. In character creation you can press "Random" to generate family name, why not use that feature to randomly assign a proper family name to each of those new clans?

Culture used to be derived from the mother, which led to future generations of nobles being rather diverse. I enjoyed that and played with it by having my OG male marry a woman of another culture, then continue as their daughter (since women can't be arranged to marry without them leaving so you maximize family members by playing as your daughters/granddaughters/etc.) to have kids of that culture who can maintain loyalty of said culture's cities. Now it's derived from the father, which will change how I play since, as much as I enjoy being a Battanian, I think they have the worst aesthetics in clothes, hairs, etc. and would rather have my kids dress up like Vlandians, Imperials, Aserai, Khuzaits, or literally anything else since you can't just take your kids to a barber when they grow up.

I definitely agree about marriage arrangements; I'd prefer it if clans could be independently allied with one another and for that to carry real gameplay weight. You'd have an actual reason to send out women from your family rather than horde them while hoping for boys who can bring more women in to expand your family. I'm more lukewarm about diplomacy because I'm concerned about it being too easy to exploit and enjoy the chaotic uncertainty. A simple compromise would be Warband's 30 day guaranteed peace for every truce.

As for dealing with big armies, that's best done by beating them. Usually, wars go in waves; the first wave is their best and largest while successive waves get smaller and weaker. After about 3 big battles they should be pretty weak, especially if your faction is strong enough to counter-invade them. It's usually around this time that peace becomes preferable by the A.I.--if I remember right--so it tends to be a repeating loop until you're in charge or the balance of power shifts enough that your side can overrun theirs (or the opposite).
So I'm relatively new to the game (started in August) so most of the post's that I found were quite old but all stated the mother passed traits.My brother got the marriage option first but on my first play through all of his 4 children were his wife's culture and it was the same for my younger brother a few years later so I assumed it would be the same for myself. At the time I still didn't understand how long to wait or when to reload for getting my wife pregnant and once I did I assumed I had to keep reloading and assumed I would eventually get a child that was my wife's culture. Once I realized the gravity of my mistake I tried to remarry my brothers to the culture I wanted to start my own kingdom in but I had long reached the point of expansion to where all nations considered us a threat and the constant wars had literally wiped out any members that were old enough to marry or young enough to have children in that culture( and many others), thus I undertook the great redoing of everything I had accomplished at the age of 78 back to when I made my first 30k in my late 20's. I do wish that traits would be inherited or advanced by both parents regardless of gender depending on the trait and the number of trait each parent has. If the father has honor and valor and the mother has generous and calculating, the child could end up with a combination of the the traits with a random variation of which ones they inherit. It could be stat or perk based but if the couple had four children there could be a 100% chance they inherit one 50% chance they inherit two 30% chance they inherit three to four and a 10% chance for the trait to either increase into a daring to fearless or a daring to cautious.

So my traits will get passed down finally? I wish they did this with the child's culture
I assume it's literally random, not inherited, by the description.

Either way, I don't know if the Traits actually do much since the game is still effectively in Early Access due to features either not being fully implemented (like NPC factionalism, where they apparently value different Policies based on a triangular spectrum of Authoritarian, Oligarchical, and Democratic), not at all implemented (but on paper exist), or kinda implemented but buggy (like some Policies doing some of what they say they do but not all, or applying in ways that goes against what their descriptions suggest they should). Allegedly, the Merciful trait prevents associated NPCs from autonomously raiding villagers/villages and I can believe the reckless trait actually does cause NPCs to more boldly attempt to "nail down" a larger enemy (useful for getting allies to all jump in if they last long enough) since I've seen it happen, but, beyond that, I have no idea if Traits actually do or affect anything outside the debate mini-game.

I assume it's literally random, not inherited, by the description.

Either way, I don't know if the Traits actually do much since the game is still effectively in Early Access due to features either not being fully implemented (like NPC factionalism, where they apparently value different Policies based on a triangular spectrum of Authoritarian, Oligarchical, and Democratic), not at all implemented (but on paper exist), or kinda implemented but buggy (like some Policies doing some of what they say they do but not all, or applying in ways that goes against what their descriptions suggest they should). Allegedly, the Merciful trait prevents associated NPCs from autonomously raiding villagers/villages and I can believe the reckless trait actually does cause NPCs to more boldly attempt to "nail down" a larger enemy (useful for getting allies to all jump in if they last long enough) since I've seen it happen, but, beyond that, I have no idea if Traits actually do or affect anything outside the debate mini-game.
When you say "debate mini game" did you mean with speech checks with recruiting lords. But I agree that many of the aspects have not been fully implemented debugged or fleshed out. Ive only seen it twice but a clan declared vengeance on another for leaving the faction, but I was executed in a play through and could not see the option to do the same when I switched to my brother before reloading.

Back
Top Bottom