We who are about to Die! Made by an old m&b modder - me!

Users who are viewing this thread

BNS Marko said:
Does your 'fame' as you grow in the eyes of the audience have any impact on the progress?

Absolutely! The idea is that it will be a form of currency to get you an edge in battle or other perks.
You also earn gold to spend in more concrete ways, but things like getting info/details about your next fight, or refreshing a vendor requires your connections (ie. fame)

Austyboo ^_^ said:
Highelf said:
Yay random screenshots from game :smile: I'll make an update video (there is plenty to cover!) probably this week.

Is there anything you'd want as a must-have, or are looking forward to about a gladiatorial combat game like this?
Haven't posted yet so first I want to say it's good to see you back 'round the community, and the game looks cool. :grin:

As for a gladiatorial game, absolutely. There was so much absurd style and flair about the games and so little of it has made its way to games. I actually started, but abandoned before I decided to go public with it, a M&B mod based around the idea. My goal was really to capture all the different styles and difficult circumstances gladiators were forced to adhere to. So what I'd really like to see is some of those ideas. Say a highly protective helmet, but it heavily restricts breathing and vision, like the Secutor - plus his usual foe, the Retiarius, who was very lightly armoured (only one arm) but was given a net and trident.

There are far more than those, of course, but I don't so much mean the specific examples as the concept. Bizarre equipment and circumstances that have to be adapted to.

Thank you for the warm welcome! Its nice to be back :smile: This place still means a lot to me.
I once started a gladiator mod for m&b too! I actually used some of the assets from that mod as placeholders (the sword/shield etc)

The goal at the moment is to have modular equipement that is quite expensive. So it might be possible that you own a piece of armor for your left arm, but not for your right arm yet - rendering it vulnerable (since hits are physically based)

kraggrim ?️ said:
A crowd that reacts to the action would be cool.

Although quite low on the priority list, it is definitely gonna be a must for the final game. Already thinking about how to tackle it in the back of my head :smile: Wont be easy.
But first, a solid combat core is the goal.

Yes of course, an engaging combat system is priority for a game like this.

I'm really glad to hear that there are 'connections' also implemented, hopefully there's also a good deal of gameplay/decisions not related to actual combat. Pissing off the emperor or something would probably be a bad idea for a gladiator, et cetera.

Hey all! More work on the game in between freelance :smile:

I've added a LOT of stuff, but here are some of the highlights:

-Overall graphics update, some juicy stuff like flags that flap in the wind! Remade character, etc
-New accurate collision detection (custom made). The engines premade stuff wasn't good enough for the fast animations so I made a new system. See the pic with the blue lines! I trace the swords and see what it hits that way.
-With improved collision comes accurate determination of whether you hit the body, shield, or sword of the enemy - no matter what they are doing.
-Totally new animations (way, way better), new rig, all redone.
-Attack anims use logical shield moves (based on research I did), and the shield works at all times! Even when its lowered, or mid attack.
-Hitting an enemy sword (eg 2 attacks at the same time cross) gives a nice clank and interrupts the attack :smile:
-Had a fun sound/foley session yesterday, cracking eggshells, squeezing lemons, for that juicy gore/damage sound :grin: Also hitting swords, shields, all kinds of stuff. Very fun. Turns out hitting a spoon on a fork sounds more like swords clashing than 2 actual swords clashing.
-Added the sound of crowd and "ooh, ahh"ing when you get hit and so on. (placeholder)
-Much more stuff! The core of the game is really taking shape now, and is starting to be really fun :smile:

I'll make an update video when I find some time, and I'll probably release a demo for my Patrons. I feel bad that I haven't found much time for them lately.

OnFp5L0.jpg

Have you considered adding more content though?
I really love the visual style and I love M&B-style arena feel. But if it's just a melee arena period... I mean, imagine if M&B was shrunk down to arena fights only. That would be a game for two evenings at best.

Weaver said:
I really love the visual style and I love M&B-style arena feel. But if it's just a melee arena period... I mean, imagine if M&B was shrunk down to arena fights only. That would be a game for two evenings at best.

That is sort of the goal. On average, an evening or two or three of gameplay, (but a lot more hours and depth for people willing to get good) - there is only so much I can do alone in a relatively short timeframe. A too big scope is the #1 downfall of any game project. The game would only cost $5 or $10 or so.
That said, its not like M&B much - it's more of a roguelike. Permadeath for one, and a lot of management in between fights. A lot of variations in arenas, building up from a small arena to a huge one, many different fight setups, and slow but really important gear upgrades. The combat is also way more slow and meticulous than m&b. I'm trying to make it feel more heavy and impactful.

Even if the project grows to something larger. Its best to focus on something doable first and get it to work and be fun to play :smile:

Looks good. One thing I really like is that with the swinging animation, the character still holds the shield in front of them in order to cover a line of attack. Curious, will you be vulnerable through the shield when attacking, or will the AI still have to figure out how to get around the shield (and vice versa, you have to get around the AI's shield)?

Highelf said:
Weaver said:

That is sort of the goal. On average, an evening or two or three of gameplay, (but a lot more hours and depth for people willing to get good) - there is only so much I can do alone in a relatively short timeframe. A too big scope is the #1 downfall of any game project. The game would only cost $5 or $10 or so.
That said, its not like M&B much - it's more of a roguelike. Permadeath for one, and a lot of management in between fights. A lot of variations in arenas, building up from a small arena to a huge one, many different fight setups, and slow but really important gear upgrades. The combat is also way more slow and meticulous than m&b. I'm trying to make it feel more heavy and impactful.

Even if the project grows to something larger. Its best to focus on something doable first and get it to work and be fun to play :smile:
If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at Exanima's arena mode for inspiration.

ThegnAnsgar said:
Looks good. One thing I really like is that with the swinging animation, the character still holds the shield in front of them in order to cover a line of attack. Curious, will you be vulnerable through the shield when attacking, or will the AI still have to figure out how to get around the shield (and vice versa, you have to get around the AI's shield)?

Yeah, I redid all animations to have logical shield positions (based on some research) on purpose, and I recently made it so the shield works at all times. It feels really good, and has opened up totally new combat strats. I'll make a video demonstrating this sometime soon. :smile:
Same goes for the swords, for that matter. If 2 swords cross, no matter if they are attacking, defending, whatever - they clash and interrupt the attack. So you can literally swing away incoming attacks if you're fast enough.

Lord Brutus said:
Seems good at being what it is.  I wish there were more content.

Thank you! It's still very early development. Very very early. So lots of content to go :smile:

Duh said:
If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at Exanima's arena mode for inspiration.

Yeah, I looked quite a bit at that project! While its quite different combat, it was a good source of inspiration at the start.

Highelf said:
ThegnAnsgar said:

Yeah, I redid all animations to have logical shield positions (based on some research) on purpose, and I recently made it so the shield works at all times. It feels really good, and has opened up totally new combat strats. I'll make a video demonstrating this sometime soon. :smile:
Same goes for the swords, for that matter. If 2 swords cross, no matter if they are attacking, defending, whatever - they clash and interrupt the attack. So you can literally swing away incoming attacks if you're fast enough.

Sounds awesome, looking forward to that demonstration.

Hey everyone  Been making lots of progress on my game despite freelance work!
Here is a look of some of the WIP/updated graphics on the "Arena" level. Thought I'd throw it out there in the middle of things. Video update coming soonish!

FWV9lST.jpg

Will the map have any interactables or destructibles? Those pots are triggering my inner Zelda ( :iamamoron: link).

Thank you! I decided to do a visual update so the dev vlogs look better :smile: And yeah its a big mixture of cultures. I'm trying to make it look a bit coherent at least; and try to piss off as few as possible history buffs!
It's definitely not classical era despite the arena combat; if anything the fictional world is closer to early middle ages. But at the end of the day I'm taking designs and inspiration from across the ages.

Back
Top Bottom