SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

Should Hornburg be a castle or a town?

• Town

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Castle

Votes: 90 48.1%
  • Town, but call it Helm's Deep instead.

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Castle, but call it Helm's Deep instead.

Votes: 45 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Hmm interesting idea time. This might take a lot of work, but if it's implemented correctly it could be a really awesome addition to the mod. You know how in TATW each region and town has a little history section, and the units have historical backgrounds? Maybe a system for this mod could be implemented for the towns and castles and/or villages and the units. Personally, I think I would spend as much time reading those historical tidbits as much as playing, as I love the LOTR universe and really want to know more. I can't say the same for the rest of this mod's following, but, it seems like they appreciate history as well.

If this sounds like a good idea Jarvi, PM me, as I have researched and am researching the Pelargir Marines and Pelargir itself for "the future" and I have some really interesting info I could share with you.

Beny said:
keep up the great work guys, this mod has a fantastic moral support community  :lol:
I'm with you on that!

Nice bacon lips by the way. :wink:

Count of Flanders said:
Felt like forging a fancy sword
dololol.png

Credits to Shredzor's OSP for the base model
Forget Anduril, I am gonna use that beautiful blade!!

My goodness, Brego and CoF are demigods. Those armor textures, like, holy **** man, they're gorgeous. Great ****ing work. As for the shields, they're great, they look a lot more wooden than native's "chipped-paint" shields. Great work. Looking forward to playing this the day after Christmas.

Great progress and stuff chaps.
Have a very merry Christmas,
I will be merriest because of new computer so I can actually start running games like Shogun 2  :oops:
And by the way has anyone seen the Hobbit?

Yup. Twice now!

Here is a copy of a few thoughts of my own, posted in another part of this forum:

Leifr Eiríksson said:
I cannot stand 3D films, mostly for the effect it gives but also because I have to sit in a cinema for three hours with uncomfortable chunky glasses on... Righto, since a few more have chipped in some nice meaty reviews and impressions, here's my impression. I'll break it down as best I can...

My initial concerns with the film before I walked into the cinema would be the thirteen Dwarves and how they interact with everything else, as well as themselves. I think they're the key to the film, everything else (within a limit) is peripheral.  I must say that I was pleasantly surprised and absolutely loved them. From the introduction at Bag End through to their placing at the Eagle's nest, it all felt right for the Dwarves. Gimli's humour throughout the Two Towers and the Return of the King was often misplaced and at the expense of his character. The humour (as far as I am concerned) was perfect throughout the Hobbit. There were impressions of stoicism, of nobility (especially Thorin, Balin and Dwalin)*, of light-heartedness amongst themselves and of quibbling between brothers, cousins, nephews and others alike. I felt that the Dwarves were 'nailed' on account of character and movement, a credit to the actors (especially Ken Stott!) For those acquainted with the book, the Dwarves (especially brothers) are often squabbling between themselves, jibbing their humours and generally doing things those of close kinship and bond do. There has been a lot of discussion leading up to the film regarding the P.J's design choices with the Dwarves. Although initially concerned, the characters quickly grew on me as individuals and as a nomadic people. Despite my love of Tolkien, I am unsure if I could rapidly associate the colours of cloaks, belts and beards in rapid motion throughout the film.

Scenes that stand out for the Dwarves?
- Their appearance and inhabiting of Bag End. Blunt the knives and bend the forks! was brilliant, it all worked just how I've always imagined a party of Dwarves to work. Misty Mountains Cold was sublime, although I'll echo previous sentiments of wishing it to be longer. Alas; we have the melody now and I am free to put it there when I read the book.
- The prologue scene introducing Erebor, Thrór and Thráin II [Wait, did we see Thráin II?]. It was grand, as breath-taking as the scenes within Moria!
- Battle of Azanulbizar! Although I have major ****ing beef with Azog, I'll come to that in a moment.
- The trolls within the Trollshaws. This is where the humour I was speaking of came into play; I never felt that any of it was out of place or to the detriment of any characters. It worked very well.

Onto Azog...
I really didn't 'get' the introduction of this character outside of the Battle of Azanulbizar. The beheading of Thrór, great. But I would have preferred seeing Azog being slain by Dáin II, avenging his father, Náin. However I think I can appreciate having Thorin wound Azog. What I am worried about is how Azog will be handled further down the line and his implications upon the Battle of the Five Armies and his son Bolg, the latter of which mortally wounded Thorin. Without the death of Azog, we have little care for the 'smackdown' between Thorin, Dáin II, Bolg and Beorn at the battle. He feels very much like a "Lurtz" character, albeit one that I think will be a persistent annoyance and not just a single-film character. This goes without mentioning the ****ing awful CGI that was Azog. I don't understand how they can get Gollum so right and then **** up horribly on what is arguably the main antagonist throughout the first film. Azog for me was the biggest let down of the film. It was an unnecessary and unfulfilling change - one that will inevitably have further consequences the deeper into the films we get. Which leads me onto the wargs; I'm happy for the change. Finally, we don't have to put up with the terrible CGI hyenas of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. They actually now resemble the barghests of old that Tolkien based them upon. Happy with this. The goblins of Goblin Town are something different through. I'm unsure if I actually enjoyed the different design in goblins. Part of me is saying "Yes" in that this is a group of Goblins which, in all likelihood, is incredibly insular and secular of anything else. The Goblin King was... interesting? I enjoyed him, it must be said. Still debating internally whether I enjoyed his 'death' scene upon the bridge. However, it must be said that having Gandalf simply stick a sword through him [as per the book] may have been a little of a let-down. A 'meh' point in the film for me, although one I enjoyed theatrically.

Bilbo and Gollum? Ahhhh! From Gollum's 'torch-like' eyes, his little boat, his riddles... For me, this was the best scene in the film. I felt especially moved to pity (as one ought be) during Bilbo's escape. I personally felt that it added a lot onto the character of Gollum, in retrospect of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for those whom are not acquainted with the literature. I'm pretty sure that I was almost welling up as Bilbo observed Gollum, craven and broken beside the exit out of the bottom porch. Bilbo in himself is excellent. I think Martin Freeman was an excellent choice for the role. Can't wait to see him come into his own character as the film naturally progresses. We really don't see much of Bilbo do 'anything' of any worth until Mirkwood and beyond.

Radagast was a split-choice for me. I liked his character in design and acting, although there were a couple of 'cringe' scenes. Azog gave me the biggest beef of all but I felt that P.J was laughing at me when he decided to magically shift Radagast from the east side of the mountains to the west in a flash on his magic ****ing rabbit sled. I mean; really? You've just diluted and wasted the entire efforts and tribulations of the Dwarves because you've put a wizard from one side of the mountains to the other in less than ten seconds. Thank you Peter for ****ing that. Gandalf and the White Council will soon be tearing down those walls irregardless, I felt it was a silly change to the pacing and detrimental to the film overall. (That saying, I loved the Necromancer himself... Can't say much for the wraith of the Witch-King, then I never have anyway). As a sidenote; did anyone pick up Gandalf's little reference to the two Blue Wizards?  :razz:

I'm sure there are more problems that concern me, they'll come in time. I should probably wrap up here and respond accordingly to posts. To summarise; I enjoyed the film. I think I would put it behind Fellowship of the Ring, as it stands now. For me, the Dwarves steal the show and hold it up. Azog blackens it (Har Har Defiler!) and generally ****s it. Absolutely loved the hint of Smaug at the end ... Now that will be a spectacle to behold, I think.

I didn't like the fact that all the battles/fights are CGI. In Lord if the Rings there is actually some real looking fighting, whereas in this most of the fights are animated. I still think it's a really good film the way they did it, favorite scene must be Riddles in the Dark, if not you are "queer".

Just messaged jarvisimo about letting him use some of my models as I feel the orc models at the moment are pretty awful and i have  hundreds of much better ones (not to be big headed  :wink:)

- some pics of what orcs in the veiled stars could look like from now on (if jarvisimo decides to use them)

Orcs 1
mb4e.jpg

mb7v.jpg

mb10o.jpg
Orcs 2
mb11zw.jpg

mb12o.jpg

mb15e.jpg

Uruks
mb15.jpg

mb14d.jpg

42365284.png
Lurtz & heavy armoured orcs in game
mb17w.jpg

mb18w.jpg

Ah, great! :smile:

You don't want to come completely on board? :grin: (Not that it's up to me to decide, but Im sure Jarvisimo wants your help) The mod really needs some of the stuff you've created..

Those are some great models

So it's been a while since the last video, so I felt like putting some work into the next one. For those who are pretty new to this topic missed a lot of the art, that's why I read through 120+ pages (Took about 3.5 hours) to collect every singe preview.
And now they are in one video. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_QDyzSE2EU
Please subscribe! :razz:
There is a secret joke in the video, respect for the ones that fully watch it!

The orc/uruk faces looks a bit strange I think and the hair looks very strange (the mullet one) but some of the faces looks really awesome! Is it possible to give Lurtz the same hair as seen in the movie? (The ones from La Grandmaster)
Don't take this post wrong, really loved the orcs, just thought I should say what I think about them :smile:

La Grandmaster said:
the orc models at the moment are pretty awful and i have  hundreds of much better ones (not to be big headed  :wink:)

Well alright then. If you're up for it and feel like taking on a challenge, you could try making an Orc face out of the picture I'm using as avatar. :wink:

Looking good, as usual Count. My only comment, and this applies to the rest of the Southern Fiefdom units as well, is that I wouldn't use the star of the Dunedain on their armor. That seems like a piece of heraldry that we've seen in the movies to be reserved for elite units like the fountain guard, so I don't think minor fiefdom troops like Anfalas archers would have that symbolism, especially since Anfalas doesn't really have any Dunedain heritage. Same goes for the Lossarnach units; I'd save the star for Pelargir and maybe Dol Amroth.

Back
Top Bottom