SP Antiquity [WB] Shadows in the Desert - An Ancient Middle East Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Al_Mansur said:
NXfJ4.jpg

:smile:
?

FrisianDude said:
Sahran said:
NTB_15's Assyrian...sphinx thingies. I forget what they called them?
Lahmasu, if I'm not mistaken. I'll check.

In-post edit; Lamassu. :grin:

werent they also called Shedu? I know in hebrew they are called shedim...

EDIT: too lazy to check past posts....are you going to add temples and what not? that would be really neat, especially if you are able to enter them within the city.

Pretty sure Kuauik's done some ziggarauts and I've seen some temple interiors. Not worried about scripting ideas for it yet, but ideas might be donating to a temple gives you honor/prestige/relationships with the settlement/ect. Would be neat with a quasi religious system - I don't think anyone would care that you worship another god unless you diss theirs (Although those snobbish Egyptians would probably look down on everyone), but that could make it so you can't be an Israelite and donate to a Shemite (Bhaal, Ishtar, Assur, and so on) temple and expect the same benefits as a proper worshipper of them.

For fun I've been trying to craft a timeline for the world of Shadows in the Desert, since ours is historically/legendary/mythologically inspired and influenced but not an imitation. It tries to adjust some of the historical events leading up to the date of our mod, so the setting has more a sense of 'history' behind it (Like you'd have with a mod set in a later period), and can better legitimize the wayward mix of periods in our inspirations. For instance Hammurabi gets a boost in his credentials to assume a sort of Alexander/Caesar/Cyrus the Great Vibe so we have someone in the past who had "The Greatest Empire the world has seen" and it's not just some tiny ass Mesopotamian fiefdom. I think some of the dialogue edits I made didn't quite follow this lore, so I'll hope to fix that later. And we'll edit it as time goes on to legitimize any future additions to the mod. Cliff notes of the jist of the political/historical situation are:

1) Egypt = Ramesses II just fought off the Nine Bows Confederacy (Actually threatened his successor and son Merneptah), and has solidified his African holdings so he can look back into an Asiatic expansion
2) Israel = David's been on the throne for some time, subjugated the Philistines and Aramaeans of Damascus and entered into alliance with Hiram of Tyre-Sidon.
3) Persia - Kai Kavus returned from imprisonment in Oman/Yemen (Hamavaran, birthplace of Sudabeh Kai Kavus' wife, although some claim Hamavaran isn't Syria or Yemen but rather Central Asian/Sakae) thanks to Rostam and reclaimed Persia from the Turanians.
4) Scythia = Skolakhshaia (Koloksai) has assumed the throne of the Royal Scythians, has his brothers and the Turanian Afrasiyab as his vassals. Chillin on the steppe.
5) Assyria = Sargon II lost Babylonia but took Northern Syria and some of Eastern Anatolia after the Hittite's destruction
6) Babylon = recently reclaimed by Nebuchanezzar II, probably with Sus'a of Elam seized from the Persians in the midst of Kai Kavus' imprisonment.
7) Trojan League = Let's say 10 or so years prior to the start of the Trojan War. In the wake of the Hittites defeat at Qadesh, Priamos led the charge amongst the Western Anatolians to reclaim their independence from the Hittites and so established the Trojan League (or re-established the old Assuwa League). He's got friends and family amongst the members of that league from the Phrygians of North-West Anatolia and Thracian-Europe to the "Assuwa" (Lycians/Carians/Maeonians) in the South-West. While everyone loves Troy the same can't quite be said for eachother, with Phrygian pressure still encouraging the seaward expansions of the Western Anatolians progenitors of the Sea People. Paris is back amongst the royal family but has yet to partake in the infamous visit to Sparta, and Priamos looks with increasing concern at the boisterous nature of the Achaeans.

Beyond the confines of the map:
1) India is in the midst of the Mahabharata Wars
2) Phoenicians who first began to colonize westward since the imperialism of Hammurabi made the setting sun seem all the more favorable have seen flourishing centers of civilization in North Africa, Sicily, and Spain.
3) Etruscans are the dominant entity in Italy, though they deal with the quagmires of Oscan-Umbrians and Latino-Faliscan tribesmen, and also look with worry at the rumbling migrations into Northern Italy.
4) Got no idea what Europe is up to.

842TJ.jpg

Edit And it case it needs to be said, this timeline is not trying to be historical. It is not a factual depiction of real history, and establishes mythologies and legends as historical 'facts' as well as altering historical events in order to legitimize the fictional lore as a reasonable narrative. The timeline is drawn from the perspective of the inhabitants in SITD's world as the player is participating in it - 2300 years ago from the year the player emerges ingame.

i am not very good at history
but in mine counting
2300 years ago is 2011-2300 = -289 = 289 BC (before Christ)
and i can see someone had a serious problems with mathematics isn't it?

I'm not a fan of the condescending tone, and yes I am not very good at mathematics. But if we're going to be condescending to one another, then I can see that someone isn't good at reading:

1) The setting is noted as being historically, mythologically and legendarily inspired and influenced, and not an imitation of history.
2) I explicitly say It tries to adjust some of the historical events leading up to the date of our mod.
3) For various dates I cite the historical and actual date in parenthesis - the Bronze Age being 3300 BCE, the date Abraham is attributed to leaving Canaan being set between 1900 and 1600 BCE.
4) "Contemporary Date of Shadows in the Desert" being 0 years ago. I suppose you can misinterpret that and think it means 2011, but this is intended to illustrate the starting date for the player's experience in the Shadows in the Desert World. This timeline is drawn in the perspective of the world, not ours.
5) The very nature of featuring mythological events as fact and providing for anachronistic situations (Mythological Persia inspired by the Achaemenids contemporary with Ramesses II's Egypt, the Iliad, King David's reign, the 8th century Sargon II and 7th-6th century Nebuchanezzar) damns any historicity of this timeline if I had wanted to convey it. So I was trying to create a narrative which would legitimize this anachronistic lore and make it more than just a childish "Deadliest Warrior" experience of throwing together a bunch of wayward historical epochs to fight for no apparent reason.

This is a different world from our own, with a different timeline, a different history, and a different perspective. I had to come up with a timeline that could explain the context for having the situation on the world's stage at that time, as the absence of a historical imitation denies that legitimacy.

Time said:
Sahran, When do you give a beta for this mod ?please

Good luck

Not sure. Hopefully we can release in 2-3 months, but I have summer courses and that may limit my ability to do the item statting which remains an objective.

Sahran said:
Pretty sure Kuauik's done some ziggarauts and I've seen some temple interiors. Not worried about scripting ideas for it yet, but ideas might be donating to a temple gives you honor/prestige/relationships with the settlement/ect. Would be neat with a quasi religious system - I don't think anyone would care that you worship another god unless you diss theirs (Although those snobbish Egyptians would probably look down on everyone), but that could make it so you can't be an Israelite and donate to a Shemite (Bhaal, Ishtar, Assur, and so on) temple and expect the same benefits as a proper worshipper of them.

SSSWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!! sounds like a great system!!!!

If anyone's got any ideas on ancient horse breeds or general horse categorization in ancient times, I'd be all ears. I know of the Nisean as the Crème de la Crème and following it various "Iranian" breeds (Urartu/Medes/Persians), usual steppe pony for the Scythians, but all I've got is light knowledge elsewhere.

Categorization for now will probably be:

Pack Horse
Riding Horse

Steppe Pony

"War horse"? (Amongst Western peoples, just whatever they used for a good beefy mount)

Urartian Horse
Maybe a general "Ariyan Horse" for the non Nisean breeds amongst Iranians.
Nisean Horse.

Sahran said:
If anyone's got any ideas on ancient horse breeds or general horse categorization in ancient times, I'd be all ears. I know of the Nisean as the Crème de la Crème and following it various "Iranian" breeds (Urartu/Medes/Persians), usual steppe pony for the Scythians, but all I've got is light knowledge elsewhere.

Categorization for now will probably be:

Pack Horse
Riding Horse

Steppe Pony

"War horse"? (Amongst Western peoples, just whatever they used for a good beefy mount)

Urartian Horse
Maybe a general "Ariyan Horse" for the non Nisean breeds amongst Iranians.
Nisean Horse.

Hi.

The horses breeds are not existed, at the mods period. Every nation had it's own type of horses. It wasn't differentiation between war and other horses. Nobles of same nation(without own horses able for mount battle) could buy "foreign" horses.

I propose to divide horses by nations:

1. Persian horses - horses of central asian type, 125-135 cm highness (modern mountain type of Persian horses had the same parameters).
186_1.jpg

2. Median horses or Nisean horses - horses of central asian type, 150 cm highness (modern Persian horses had the same parameters).
186_1.jpg

3. Assyria Horses - horses of central asian type, 130 -140 cm highness, like a persian but had hart constitution.
4. Egyptian horses - small horses 110-120 sm (used in chariots), similar to modern berber horses.
1252419001_untitled-2.jpg

5. Steppe or Scythian horses - steppe full-bodied horses 120-130 sm.
663.jpg

6. Greek horses - mezochondrial horses 120-130 sm.

Babylonia had use assyria horses,
Israel - I think Egyptian horses, but not sure.
Scythian chiefs and paralats could also use Persian or Nisean horses.

We won't be able to do new horse textures per se, I'll just be using them from the Wander949 OSP (Based on llew2's models with edited textures, so they have saddlecloth and no saddle), but those help for national ideas. Although I know from Assyrian research they did differentiate between "Yoke horses" (for chariots and probably pack use), and "cavalry mounts" which were more valuable.

And I imagine in general that the quality of mounts would differ between classes of soldiery. A basic Achaemenid nobleman might not have a Nisean while I'm sure the royal kinsmen cavalry would.

Thanks Alxcruel.

Back
Top Bottom